THR When to have THR revisited?

Warhorse dude remember our other mantra " you only have one pair of feet so you better take care of them." (At least that is what we used to say in my branch.) When you are sitting are you elevating your feet? Peace be with you
 
randy62 I thought I had run into a fellow jarhead on this site, darn! Oh well, you guys at least wore green also. :cheers:

When I'm in bed it's elevated, in my recliner it's elevated, but most of the time that I'm up, finds me sitting at my desk in the home office where it can not be elevated. The swelling in the foot and shin area still is getting better, but it is surprising how long it is hanging on.
 
Sorry Warhorse i was the kind of guy that jumped out of perfectly good airplanes and helicopters ( why? Because i have always wanted to see the underside of a plane while it was in flight!) and then took really long walks. But we not only share that we are also brothers over the sharing of this. Have you talked with your do about water retention?
 
randy62 Thank you for your service, I was just making a slight attempt at a little inter service humor. :ok:

I see my Surgeon this coming Monday for my second post surgery appointment, and will be mentioning the swelling to him. It really is no big deal though, getting less and less all the time. It could even be because of my "petit" build at 6 feet tall and 245lbs!

How is your recovery coming along? I see you are at the three and a half week point.
 
Well i could pass a pee test if they only went back ten days. Besides that i am slowly getting my moves back was able to sneak out of bed for the first time yesterday without waking the wife. And you know how hard that is. I noticed earlier you mentioned ambien, did you by chance end up doing a tour over southwest Asia before you got out? The reason that i asked hat is because a large percentage of troops that have done tours over there are taking that and the ones that were there while the wells were on fire have all sorts of breathing problems to included sleep apnea.
 
randy62 You must have me mixed up with someone else, I've not been taking Ambien, or any other sleep aid.

I only did one four year hitch in the Marines, and got out in 1979.
 
Had my second visit with the surgeon today. He basically lifted all restrictions, said not to bring knee to close to chest, to avoid dislocation. He confirmed everything is okay, and that all my symptoms are well within what is expected after surgery. Wants to see me again in six weeks. Great report I think.
 
It's now been 10 weeks and two days from my surgery (but who's counting :) ). My recovery is coming along pretty much as is to be expected, and that is good. I can walk a little further, put my own socks on, and dress myself with no mechanical aids, can take a shower without using the sponge on the stick. Life is getting better for me a little at a time. So, for all of you that are fresh out of surgery...you will get better, it just takes time.


When I first started down this road, my OS said that I would be off work for 4-6 months. My OS put me off work till at the earliest October, so all this time is meant to be used at getting myself together physically, as my job as a "gas man" is a little demanding. In my normal workday I may be up and down basement stairs, kneeling in front of furnaces and water heaters while working on them, some days find me pulling cast iron manhole covers off of vaults, and climbing up and down 10 foot straight ladders working on regulators in those underground vaults. Other times, I may be found digging holes by hand with a shovel to repair broken gas lines. Who knows, I may not return to work till December. At least I have enough paid sick time to use, life could be worse.
 
Wow and to think that I am happy to be going back to work next Tuesday
 
Just want to say hi to all my bonesmart friends. It has been five months and one week from my surgery, all is going well with my new hip.

Last week, I went back to work finaly. I am so happy to be getting out of the house on a daily basis resuming my normal life.

So, for all of you fellow hippies, you DO get your life back. :)
 
Great to hear from you Warhorse, isn't it wonderful when life begins and normality settles into our daily routine.. Don't be a stranger and hopefully you will drop by on our online New Year's Eve party :)
 
Warhorse I was soooooooo thrilled to read your post!!! What do you do for work? I hope you are making out ok with no complications. I go back to work soon (I hope!!!) and I am very excited to get my life back to normal. A little apprehensive about my long work days, I work 11 1/2 hr. days, but excited for "normal" again! Did you have any restrictions when you went back? Were you tired? I turn 57 this month so we are close in age. It's almost 5 months since my surgery and it's been a long recovery. Not a bad one, just longggggggg. I think my employer was surprised I've been out as long as I have been but I think a lot of people think because it's such a common surgery that you should be up and running around like normal in a few weeks. Geezzzzzz Your post gave me such a great feeling! Knowing you guys here at Bonesmart has been so theraputic for me and I feel like we are all old friends! Kepp up the great work and please ck in every so often. Don't let your being back to your normal life stop you from writing once in a while. We still care and it's soooo great to hear from you!!!:friends:
 
sandpiper, I am a "gas man" for a natural gas distribution company. It can sometimes be a little demanding physically.

See my earlier post about six posts above this one for more details of my job.

You will do just fine when you get back to work sandpiper.
 
It's been almost eleven months since my LTHR. Things have gone along fairly smoothly till just recently. I did have some "as diagnosed" left side bursitis, and a steroid injection approximately one year before it was determined a completely new hip was needed.

Well this trochanteric bursitis has come back with a vengeance. Last Saturday 04/26/14 I was tying my shoes, as I straightened up, and in the blink of an eye, my left leg was in immense pain. I called the hospital and talked with the on call Orthopedic surgeon, who advised me to get to the hospital ER for X rays, for a possible dislocation of the hip. I could not even wiggle my toes without practically screaming out, but with my wife's help I was able to make it out to the living room (took twenty minutes), we used a dining room chair turned backwards as a walker, that did not work so well, so she put plastic pads (moving men) under the legs of the chair, got me sitting on the chair and pulled me into the living room.
No way with just my wife, were we going to get me down the three stair steps and into the car safely, so we decided to call 911 for an ambulance to get me out of the house safely.

At the emergency room, I was administered Dilaudid through an IV to make me more "comfortable" to help get the x rays taken.
Thankfully, the x-ray's showed that there was no dislocation of the hip, these x rays were sent to the on call orthopedic surgeon, who advised me to call their office on Monday and make an appointment to see my orthopedic doctor who did the hip replacement, (they both work in the same practice). The hospital gave me a prescription for Norco, and released me on crutches with orders to keep all weight off it (no load bearing on hip). Dilaudid is good stuff :)

I called the doctor's office on Monday, his nurse asked how I was doing, told her all the muscles and the hip seemed sore, but nothing like when it happened, at least I was now able to move around the house. An appointment was made for me to come in on Wednesday, and to stay off work, (my job is physical and involves working in the field).

Wednesday morning while getting dressed it happened again while I had my left leg on my right thigh putting on my sock, luckily it was not as bad as what happened Saturday, and with the crutches I was able to make it out of the house and to the car. The doctor says that the x ray shows all the new "hardware" is still intact and in the right place, and that no fractures appear anywhere. After examining me, and finding an extremely sore spot right where he says the bursa sac is, he gave me a cortisone/lidocaine injection, guided by ultrasound.

I never would have thought bursitis could be so debilitating.
 
Warhorse, so sorry to hear about this. I get twinges of TB, and occasionally more than twinges, but nothing like what you are describing. I know @Josephine has dealt with this herself, so I'm tagging her to be sure and see this.

Sharon
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom