THR When to have THR revisited?

Warhorse 'scuse me while I hijack your thread a minute, please? :)
My surgeon informed me there are two times of heightened danger of bloodclots and I evidently haven't passed the second one so I still have five more days...which will make it three weeks out from the surgery.
I heard something like that at joint class, but it went by so quickly I'm not exactly sure. What i think she said was, that women have a risk after (at?) 30 days, according to brand new research. I took a note, but can't remember her exact words. I figured my OS would take care of me. So, that meant 21 days of aspirin LOL.
 
I had my first return visit to the OS today, the office nurse removed the staples, and put steri-strips on the incision. They also took an x-ray, and gave me a copy of the picture. Looks good, but what do I know, more importantly he seemed quite proud of his work.

He also told me to start going outside for my walks, implied that I could stay with the walker till whenever I feel like switching to a cane. He apparently is not afraid about blood clots either, because he said I could quit wearing the compression stockings, just continue to take one 325grn tablet of aspirin everyday.

Now if I could just lose the swelling below my knees, and my left foot.
 
Warhorse no, don't lose the left foot please!:heehee: Your report is great, and no more staples yay!! I also got to ditch the stockings at two weeks, and then took aspirin for another week.
Are you elevating for many hours per day? That's what helped me with my swelling, and ice of course :)

Keep up the resting and icing and elevating and especially being bored ( boredom is an important component of recovery, statistically shown to bring better results... heh heh)
 
zauberflöte, thankfully I did not lose my left foot after all :) . I still do have major swelling of the shin, ankle, and foot though :gaah: . Heck even my right foot gets a little swollen after being up for a while. I try and lay down in bed, two sometimes three times a day, with ice for a half hour or so at a time. That helps bring the swelling down some, but not as good as full nights sleep. I quit using the walker about the first of July, switching to a four pronged cane. Now I sometimes forget to take the cane when getting up to go to another room :egypdance: . Tomorrow makes four weeks post-op for me.
 
[Bonesmart.org] When to have THR revisited?
Warhorse, are you elevating toes above nose and icing at the same time your shin, ankle and foot? That should really bring the swelling down faster. High elevation would be even better.
 
Warhorse excellent update! Swelling can persist for months, so I've heard. I'm almost 7 weeks, and since I'm more active (equals less elevating) there's more swelling than there was, say, two weeks ago. Trade-offs. Forgetting the cane, yup, you're on your way! :)
 
Even at 19 months post I get a wee bit of swelling when I have done too much..
 
Thanks all, It's nice to know that the swelling at this stage is "normal".
 
Found myself forgetting the cane so often, I decided this weekend to make it a point not use the cane while inside my house. Yesterday went well, we will see how today goes without it.
 
Had some real progress this last weekend. Took a shower standing on my own two feet (no shower seat). Friday and Saturday I ventured out into my drive way with no cane, even took our two Shi Tzu's out on their leashes to do their business. Sunday was kind of a just rest day, as I was a little sore from walking with no mechanical assistance.
I still have swelling in my surgical leg from the knee down, but it is much less than before. However I do notice the skin in my foot is changing color (slightly red/brown), caused I assume by all the swelling for the last six weeks.
All in all, things are coming along fairly well, have even quit taking the narcotic pain meds.
 
Warhorse. Glad things are going well for you. The changing color of your foot sounds a little odd. Have you checked this with anyone? I know absolutely nothing medically, but to me that seems late at five or so weeks. Maybe you should tag Josephine. Are you still icing? I still ice after activity at three months, which may be unnecessary but why not?
 
Well, they're not swollen (lucky you!) and the discolouration is most likely due to a rather persistent drainage of your bruising but I'd be happier if you got your doctor, PA or nurse to check it over, just in case it's something more.
 
Josephine thanks for taking a look. Actually the left foot, and ankle is a little swollen still. Elevation and ice helps bring it down some. It is noticeably less swollen these last couple of days. After laying down sleeping for 4-5 hours with the foot elevated the swelling is almost gone, but as soon as I sit and stand for a while, I can feel it starting to swell. It is indeed getting better though. I would imagine that the skin that is red will eventually peel like a sunburn.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom