What were your private milestones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh no, I'm not putting my mother on here. She would start telling stories that would make me crawl under a rock.
As for my Dad, we are having fits trying to keep him from driving..He got into it when I was there and I had to intervene and threaten to have his D.L. revoked. He shut up. Five minutes later we were all laughing at something..
Oh my sister does cut him slack. In fact she babies him the most.
I'm sure there will be many ups and downs.
And I do cherish the prayers.
Dougie.
 
When did you become "dougie"? Does that go with the picture?? the young lad with the curly hair?
 
Doug I am 75 and had the op 10 weeks ago today so tell your mum to go for it, I am fine now, sleeping OK, up and down stairs normally, riding my exercise bike and as you know I was only ever given paracetamol which I havnt taken for ages, I think we older ones can cope with anything life throws at us, I am off to Paris for a weekend soon so tell her from me its so worth it!! Love your stories!!!
 
I've never been called Dougie on a regular basis..Not by family. They have their own name for me. I guess the pronunciation of Doug just slides right into Dougie.
Now that I think about it, I think it was you or Patti that started using it on the forum..
It doesn't bother me at all. When I was a kid I did get into a couple of "incidents" over a kid calling me that so make sure you smile when you use it.
 
Doug I am 75 and had the op 10 weeks ago today so tell your mum to go for it, I am fine now, sleeping OK, up and down stairs normally, riding my exercise bike and as you know I was only ever given paracetamol which I havnt taken for ages, I think we older ones can cope with anything life throws at us, I am off to Paris for a weekend soon so tell her from me its so worth it!! Love your stories!!!

Joycelyn....now YOU are a wonderful inspiration to us "youngsters" having TKR. What an uplifting message! Thanks!! Hope you have fun in Paris!!!
 
Jocelyn,
In a very respectful and complimentary way, I will say, my mother is "one tough old bird".
My father was in the Navy and always gone. When he got out of the Navy, he went into Oceanography and was gone again.
My mother was the foundation of the family. She taught me everything and oddly gave me some very good advise on my participation in athletics. That participation was the framework for my adult personality.
I'm doing my best to get her into TKR and I'm sure she will end up there. I'm going to have to keep pulling and pushing though..(and lying about the pain). She can't catch me anymore.
 
And you'll be there for her all the way from start to finish. You will know better than anyone what she is going through, what she needs, etc. so it should help her weather this storm fairly well. I think having someone who has been there is a God send. You can be like her own little forum!! You are a great son and I'm sure you are a huge comfort to her. God bless you!
Skeet
 
Hi Jocelyn, great to hear how well you are doing. I worry about how in the UK patients don't seem to get offered anything stronger than Paracetamol (regular strength Tylenol to North American's). Granted if you can do without anything stronger that's terrific, but it's the ones in a lot of pain I feel for. Remember Glenda guys? I wish she would let us know how she is doing. I know if I'd had my TKR when I lived in the UK I would have been threatening my surgeon with hitting him in the knee caps with a sledge hammer if he didn't offer me something stronger, especially in the early days.

I guess you Brits (I was one until 17 years ago) are made of stronger stuff! My mum is never one to complain, she sailed through recovery of her hip replacement, even though they messed it up the first attempt and she had it re done. They didn't give her much therapy either so she hasn't really got proper movement back. Wish I had been around at the time.

Anyway, enjoy Paris. Are you flying, taking the Chunnel Tunnel train? Where in the Uk are you by the way?
 
Thanks, we began the discussions on the assisted living today actually. And it does sound bad but some of his forgetful situations do get humorous because he will say something and it catches you so totally off guard that you are speechless.
Thanks for your prayers.

Doug, I'm glad to hear that you are beginning to talk about assisted living. I hope your parents will be amenable to the idea.

My own parents fought it tooth and nail, and the last few years they were on their own were very detrimental to their health. My dad had congestive heart disease, and my mom had Alzheimers. Dad was pretty much an invalid, and Mom did the cooking--she did *not* however follow a low-salt cardiac type diet at all, in fact, she didn't even remember the doctor telling her she needed to do that. Anyway, Dad's last few years were filled with many hospital stays and emergencies that might have been avoided had my parents been in an assisted living home where their needs had been met.

We were finally able to move Mom to a memory care residence last year--four years after Dad's death. Now that she is finally there, she is happier than she's been in years. Which, of course, is what we had always wanted for her. But she was bound and determined to fight us all the way.

Good luck with making sure that your parents' needs are met. It can be a big challenge, but it's a lot easier if they are willing to be part of the process.

By the way, my husband and I have already decided, after this kind of experience, that we're going to move to an age 55 and up community that has the full range of care options, so our kids don't ever have to move us! We're looking at a new building in downtown Seattle that has everything from condos for the "young" seniors through assisted living, memory care, nursing home, and hospice, all in one community. I'm working on a goal, now that my surgery is behind me, of going through every room in our house and downsizing our stuff. We probably won't move for several years, as we still have one kid at home, but I'm starting to get ready.

Sue
 
Thanks for the info Sue. My mother went through extremely hard ties in taking care of my grandmother. She is determined to never put us through what she went through.
I'm sure my mother will care for my dad as long as she possibly can but she does have heart issues too.
On a positive note, I just called to talk to my mom and got my dad. He sounded great and is having a great day. He remembered my dogs names which surprised me. My mother is over in Orlando getting checked so she can have TKR on her knees...I am actually looking forward to going down for this one...I am going to mess with her to no end..
 
Sue, we too went through a lot with my parents in their last years. Although it worked out well, it was still an eye-opener to learn of how many options are available. Kansas City has many assisted living choices and communities like you talk about. We have a circle of about 10 couples who are good friends and we've decided to all go to the same place and just continue our good times there (party! party!). We've made many jokes about how we'll be rocking the retirement village with our carrying on. None of us have any qualms about letting someone else pick up some of the "work" involved with day to day living as we have difficulty doing it. Glad to hear you guys are feeling the same way. We're not at that point yet and hopefully it will be some time. But you never know and we are relieved to be prepared.
 
I must be the knee replacement poster child. I am 59 and had LKR on January 10. I was in the hospital 2 nights. I used a walker for 3 days and carried a cane for a couple of days after that. I used it to protect myself from my sister's frisky dogs. I had in home therapy for 2 weeks which seemed very easy to me. I only went to out patient therapy 3 times and my doctor said I could stop going. I sang in the choir, climbing two flights of stairs 2 1/2 weeks after surgery. I used the CPM machine religiously for 2 weeks. It actually felt good to me. I won't say that I am totally pain free but my knee feels so much better than it did. I do still have some pain when I bend it. I was able to kneel at the altar at church my first Sunday back. I do decorative painting and went back to work after 6 weeks. I do get stiff after standing on a ladder all day but I am able to get the kinks out after moving around. I am looking forward to getting my other knee done. I got off the pain meds asap because they gave me horrible dreams. Next time I will request something other than hydrocodone. After 1 week I only took one at night and went off totally after 2 weeks.
 
Well Sue thats sounds like the all time record breaker to me as far as what I have read regarding Post TKR. Good luck!
I did not get back so quickly,

Walking the next morning easily with walker (able to use bathroom same day), started stairs day 3-easy walking, out of the hospital the 4th day, off the walker by the end of week 1, off crutches (totally to cane) at week 4 at week 6 I do use the cane but I am weaning off of it. Percocet as needed, PT 3 days a week. I made it to a broadway show and dinner, a wedding and stroll through midtwn on Sat all within the last 2 weeks. So things are looking better each day. I do go to the gym daily and will start water excercises next week.

I am also looking forward to having my LTKR putbehind me as well.


NN
 
Susan, was your surgery a full knee replacement or a partial? You have done fantastic and we can only hope that you sail through your next knee just as well! Keep in touch with the board here! Your story is a great one to read! ....Jamie
 
Yep, you are definitely the poster child!
 
TOTAL!!! I am REALLY in awe!!! What a woman!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom