Guest viewing is limited

What were your private milestones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sue.....if you can, use the bike at least twice each day. I truly believe it will help you get that ROM and maybe even avoid the manipulation. You'll be able to lower the seat again too! I'm so proud of you!
 
What amazed me about this thread is the variability in all of our recoveries. I was starting to feel sort of guilty since people see me strolling around and say "Oh you still take pain meds". And you begin to think "maybe I'm a wimp". But then I find it heartening that people still need a pill to get through the night at 12 weeks. Its sort of good to know that what you have to do is do your best and survive the best you can and eventually it will get better.
 
My milestones have amazed me in reflection because I had not thought of regaining use of my knee as a milestone DUH!!!!!

Ditched the walker at 2 weeks; ditched the cane at 4 weeks;

Went back to work at 3 weeks- since I work in Ft Worth and live in podunk Texas it requires about an hour and one half in travel .. so I rode with Hubby in his 'Big Loud Bumpy Diesel' work truck.. hated that but.. no choice..

Started driving myself at 4 weeks

and I am not sure when this happened but about 3 weeks ago I got off prescrip meds and that made me feel like a new person.. I had struggled with having an upset tummy; they didnt work very well so I dealt with chronic pain; and chronic constipation.. so really, when I could get off those it made a HUGE difference for me because I think my attitude changed..

For me now; I am on go with my life.. and havent walked the mall but I will let you know... I am going shopping and browsing .. this week! For the past number of years, when I went to the mall I had to know exactly where I was going and could only do one store because pain limited me so much...sooooooooo I told Papa Bear..... I am going to make up for lost time... (yes he recovered with a cold glass of water over his head)....Ha!!

This is the best place in the world during recovery. I just wish I had found it sooner...... Made a world of difference for me... Y'all all are the greatest!
 
Sue,
I am so happy for you. I know how hard you have worked. Be sure to get back on soon and get it back around again today. Don't worry if it takes a little work to get there again--- you can do it! You just don't want to lose that progress.!
Congrats!
 
What amazed me about this thread is the variability in all of our recoveries. I was starting to feel sort of guilty since people see me strolling around and say "Oh you still take pain meds". And you begin to think "maybe I'm a wimp". But then I find it heartening that people still need a pill to get through the night at 12 weeks. Its sort of good to know that what you have to do is do your best and survive the best you can and eventually it will get better.

I had some one ask me at church yesterday, oh are you still on the pain medication. I told her yes, but less. That's the truth, but it did mess with me a little in the head. But I've let it go. i'm ok with how much i'm taking. Really only the heavy duty (percs) at night to take the whine out of my day. Everything hurts more at the end of the day. I think I could sleep through the night with nothing or minimal I'm so exhausted. And I want to start driving more so that means changing the med plan accordingly.
Mall walking and going to stores, sound s exciting but scarry. I think the fear is connected to my memory of pain, dread and inabilty to do it. i suppose I'll have to walk through that (oops a pun!). I think I'm avoiding it because of those fears. It'll come. fiding that daily balance of not pushing it and not milking it is tricky.
 
Jen, I know you're pretty far behind me on the 'road to recovery' in terms of time since op, your fears will pass and be replaced by confidence as you feel better and do more, or do more and feel better. The two go together, chicken and egg, some times we all get in a lil deep, but far as I know, none of us have not gotten back to shore. Just don't rush things for anyone else but yourself. Your knee=your life. It will come in time. God bless you.
 
I did it, I did it, I did, I did it!!!!!!!!!!! Yesssssssss!!!!!!!! Finally, I just jumped on my stationary bike, it was 1.30am. I managed to go all the way round. Admittedly I hired the saddle this time one notch (but I had tried that before with no success), but I went round. I continued for 5 mintes. Painfully but I did it!!! This is my favourite milestone, I am at 12 weeks and 4 days. Two more days before I see the OS about manipulation, maybe I can avoid it after all? We will see. I'd better get working on it.

Boy I can sure relate to this. I did the stationary bike yesterday for the first time. Every time I'd go around I'd sound like the guys bench pressing 400lbs with all the moaning and groaning but I did it for 5 minutes. I did surely pay for it the rest of the night. On the flip side I realized that I had some trouble doing a bike pre-op so my range of motion now is probably as good as it was pre op (it also means I think I only had about 110 in that knee) so anything more I can fight for is pure gravy from here out.
 
I had struggled with having an upset tummy; they didnt work very well so I dealt with chronic pain; and chronic constipation.. so really, when I could get off those it made a HUGE difference for me because I think my attitude changed..

Texas....so happy to hear that someone else has that "tummy thing" that I struggle with! I guess it doesn't happen to everyone. What you describe is why I want to be able to get off the prescription meds as soon as possible. I like feeling good during this recovery and I don't always get that with the prescription meds. I still have some work to get there, but have felt in my heart that it's something I need to do. Your post lets me know I'm on the right track! Thanks!!!
 
Whew, just sat down...Fun Monday, Thank goodness Spring Break is over.
I've got the house back to just me...I've taken him to school, worked out, went grocery shopping at two different stores, washed and shined the kitchen tile and family room wood floors. My knee is screaming..
Just got off of the phone with my mother, she has been referred to a O.S. for TKR..My sister and I have been pushing her to do so..She is at a point she needs it badly. She is going to have her hands full and needs her knees to take care of my father.
I lied just a little...Told her the TKR didn't hurt too badly.."see mom, I'm not even limping" I was chewing the inside of my mouth when I said that. . That will get her back for those whippins!!!
 
You're a good son, Doug. I hope you can convince your mom to go for it. It would have to be doubly scary for an older person! Us youngsters are fearless!! 'Course I'm sure she'd say you're not too old for another whippin' once she gets a load of TKR recovery. Fortunately you'll be fast enough you can probably outrun her - for a while. Unique physical therapy plan, huh. One of HER personal goals will be to get around well enough to catch her son and take him out behind the woodshed!
 
Well Doug, I can say truthfully that it doesn't hurt anymore than I already did from the bad knees. And that pain would only get worse and this new pain will get less. Sounds like good math to me. Happy after spring break.
 
Jamie, You were very close to what she used to tell me..Not the too old part. Her words as I got bigger were, "Come here boy, don't even think you got too big to whip".
If she called me boy or my full name, including middle, I knew I was in real trouble. I don't doubt for a moment that with me at 55 and her at 74, she wouldn't hesitate to put one on me if she could get me.
I only hope they give her a catheter..Then I will be in control!!!!

Jenn, I agree about the pain issue. Though I still get pretty uncomfortable sometimes it doesn't compare with the pre surgery constant pain.

I think she has resigned herself to getting it. My father either has early stages of Alzheimer's or Dementia. Either way, it isn't going to be pleasant.
 
Doug, you know there is a difference many times betweem Alzheimer's and Dementia. Of course, no one wants someone they care about to have either, but more than once I have seen an older person live many good years with varying degrees of Dementia. My own mom had it for many years before her death at 86. I now realize that my dad, bless his heart, shielded her for a long time. He simply picked up the slack and only put her in situations where she would be comfortable and succeed at tasks and dealings with others. Quite frankly, as close as we were and as often as I saw Mom or talked to her on the phone, I never "got it" until a couple of years before her death. That was true love and respect for your partner on my Dad's part.

I have had several friends who had a rather nasty parent that experienced personality changes as the disease progressed. Instead of being nasty and negative, they became softer, friendlier, and much more tolerant in their dealings with family and caregivers. Their last years provided a wonderful opportunity for bonding that was never there. So, don't fear what may be coming. Just take it day by day. Rejoice in the good times and try to work with the bad things that might come up. Even life with dementia or Alzheimer's is so very precious. I would give anything to have a few more moments with my Mom....even if she didn't know who I was.
 
My dad is taking the mean personality route. The funny thing is that he will yell and get short tempered with my mother and my sister but he never does with me.. Which torks y sister off.. To make matters worse, my dad has two hearing aids. He will only put one in at a time. She found out that he went about two weeks with one hearing aid that didn't even have a battery in it. He doesn't realize that he isn't remembering things.
He also forgot that he takes prescription meds. My mother has sense taken that from him and gives them to him herself.
One of my very good friends developed Alzheimer's as soon as he retired. He just passed this last year..It was a rough long "goodbye".
I have been blessed to have both of my parents live this long and I recognize that this is just one of those things in my life that has to happen and that's just the way it is.
 
Doug, I'm sorry to hear this. I agree with you that it does sound more like Alzheimers. How difficult this will be for your Mom and my heart goes out to you all. I have had a couple of friends whose parents went this route instead of dementia and it can be very difficult. One of my good friends (a guy) actually went to live with his parents when his Dad got Alzheimers. It went okay for a while, then his Dad "forgot" Don was his son and thought he was his wife's boyfriend trying to move in. It sounds kind of funny, but it caused a lot of problems....'course we can all laugh about it now, but it was difficult! I wish you all the best and hope that you have some good times mixed in with the challenging ones. You may want to start exploring options like assisted living or nursing homes now so you are prepared in case that becomes necessary. Maybe you won't need that, but at least it would be an optional plan already in place. God bless you and your family. You will be in my prayers.
 
Thanks, we began the discussions on the assisted living today actually. And it does sound bad but some of his forgetful situations do get humorous because he will say something and it catches you so totally off guard that you are speechless.
Thanks for your prayers.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by edk
What amazed me about this thread is the variability in all of our recoveries. I was starting to feel sort of guilty since people see me strolling around and say "Oh you still take pain meds". And you begin to think "maybe I'm a wimp". But then I find it heartening that people still need a pill to get through the night at 12 weeks. Its sort of good to know that what you have to do is do your best and survive the best you can and eventually it will get better.

Just for the record, I am at 16+ weeks and I'm still taking like one per day... I'm not a wimp, just a realist.
 
I made through today. or yesterday now, on 1 1/2 pills. No way I'm ready to just jump off of them..Over the counter stuff just doesn't cut it.
 
Doug, I'm glad to hear you are supporting you mom to get TKRs... you going to get her on the forum?? It would be fun to have her on here.. you would have to behave!

I've had a couple of folks (grandpa - dementia; aunt - alzheimers) with these issues and it is so hard. My grandpa really thought he was a young man and still working the ranch and he would get furious when folks wouldn't let him go - said he needed to make a living for Nellie (grandmother) and the girls. You are right that sometimes it catches you off guard and seems funny, then you remember and it is sad. My aunt went from having trouble remembering words in September to a full coma by November. she was in a coma for 2.5 years before dying. Again, very sad. Enjoy the time you have and tell your sister to cut dad some slack. It isn't his fault. At heart, he's still the dad you grew up with.

God bless you all. I'll say a few extra prayers for you tonight.

Skeet
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom