Revision THR What all does this involve?

Sounds like you have an over-active bladder which is an extremely common issue for us ladies of a 'certain age'! But there is a medication for it called tolterodine which works by blocking the chemical that causes contractions of the bladder. Latest stats show that around 50% of women over 50 use it! One tablet once a day, problem sorted (by which you now know I speak from personal experience!)
 
Hi Angie,

I once read a wonderful suggestion made by a woman whose bladder may or may not be overactive... She suggested setting a timer, or in your case an alarm clock, to get up and going towards the bathroom before you actually felt the "urge" or "surge" as the case may be when you've been asleep. I think the Depends would also be a good back up during the night time hours as well.

Good luck on your next surgery and let us know how you are doing so we can visit with you!!
Take care,
Cardie
 
Reading your posts for the first time. You've been though a lot.
Wishing you all the best on your upcoming surgery.
Take good care,
Annette
 
Josephine I had my left revision July 1st so I am 6 days out. The surgery took a lot longer than expected. Dr told my family I had a lot of bone damage & needed grafting. He said there would be more pain than I had with the others & this would extend my recovery. I have to be 6 weeks of non weight bearing. UGH! He actually considered sending me to a rehab center but instead decided to have a hosp bed sent to my home. That has been a God send as I cant imagine getting into my reg bed right now. I also went ahead & bought the bed side toilet to which I am also thankful for. I can not even believe the diff in pain. This time it is on a whole diff level!
 
Angie, remember the basics. Rest. Ice. Elevate. And MAKE SURE you are taking adequate pain meds on a consistent basis. If the pain is on a whole different level, you still have to keep ahead of it.

What a marathon of hip stuff you've been through lately! I hope you can just let the world go by for a few months and concentrate on letting healing happen. You're non-weight-bearing anyway, so this is a time to just be.

Sharon
 
The six weeks will pass quickly.. stick around with us and we will keep you company... Sharon and Jo have given you good advice.
 
Just thought I would check in with an update. I am 5 weeks out with one more week til I can bear weight. Physically things have been great. Mentally has been challenging. With having the other done in April & still on a cane when I went in with this latest one, I have been down for 4 months to some extent. I'm kinda over it.

I am very hesitant to ask this because it seems I always overreact. Like I said I am 5 weeks out. For the past 2 weeks I have felt very little pain at all. Of course I am non weight bearing so I am not putting too much stress on the leg. For the past few days I have been hurting pretty bad. The pain is below the buttock area and runs down my leg. I had to go to the Dr right before this pain started. Not my Ortho. It is another health matter &nothing major. My 17 yr old went and helped me as far as getting wheelchair in & out of car etc. I am so afraid that I have hurt something. What if I put some weight on that leg & messed up my bone grafting? What makes pain suddenly start when you are NWB? I could see if I was walking or doing exercises. Frankly I am not doing much pt either. I will not take having another surgery well at all. Between my hips & knees I have had surgery every 2 years in 09, 11, & 13. This is no way to live.
 
Hi Angie,

Sorry you are having some pains. Maybe Josephine and special lady[/USER] could provide you with some support and thoughts on your pain. I hope it's gotten a bit better too!

Take care,
Cardie
 
Thank you Cardie. It hasnt gotten any better. I tried to tag Jo & it wouldnt let me. Thank you for doing it for me.
 
Thank you Cardie. It hasnt gotten any better. I tried to tag Jo & it wouldnt let me. Thank you for doing it for me.
 
Thank you Josephine. I have been waiting with baited breath for your response. This has worried me sick. It doesnt run completely down my leg. It stops above the knee. But it sure was intense. Thats why I was so worried. To go from being practically pain free to such pain while NWB was extremely worrisome. It does sound like the periformis syndrome. If I am just laying in bed I cant feel it. It is upon any movement of that leg.
 
That's good. I recognised the symptoms because I had it myself just last year. Getting up of the settee was absolutely agony and I couldn't sleep in bed - had to sleep on the recliner for almost two months! But I got trochanteric bursitis as well and my GP gave me a shot of depomedrone into that so I was lucky that it worked for both and within 24hrs I was totally cured! Sadly they don't give the injections just for the piriformis.
 
Josephine
Do you think it will get better when I can walk & put weight thru it?
 
I think you should see this as a completely different condition and largely unconnected with your hip replacement. Pain meds and ice are the best remedy and when your surgeon gives you leave, do the stretches shown in the article.

I have a large gel pack which I would toss onto the settee (being totally unable to bend and put it there!) and then just sit on it. It was bliss and the only time I got any relief at all.
 
Update.. I went for my 6 wk check up & things looked good at that point. Dr had 2 students with him. He kept going on & on how bad my left hip was & how hard my surgery was. HE said he had to do a lot to me. I asked him if I had a chance for these hips to last me a long time. Since the original metal on metal only lasted 3 yrs I am worried. He said that he wanted me to start walking & come back in 8 weeks for another look. Hopefully they will still look good. I am almost 9 weeks out & have been bearing weight for almost 3 weeks. I am still on a walker & the leg is still weak. It is slowly improving. Not much pain & I am actually able to lay on both sides when I sleep now. YAY! Tonight for the first time I tried to do a straight leg raise. Couldnt do it. Not even a little bit. That leg was dead weight. Is this unusual at 9 weeks? I realize I spent the first 6 wks NWB but I have been putting full weight thru it for 3 weeks. I had my husband lift the leg a few inches off the bed & I tried to hold it for 5 seconds. It was a huge strain but I did it. I actually did that 5x. Is this ok to do to try to build up to SLR? My Ortho did not order PT, just told me to walk & showed me an exercise to do. IT was standing & bringing hip out to side. I am doing those with no difficulty. I do know that my Ortho would order PT if I asked. Also, I do not have the same Ortho who put in the MOM hips. I found me a new one after that.
 
How about this? As you try to do the straight leg lift, have your husband gently assist your leg through the motion. You're still doing the leg lift (sort of). He's just helping a little.

And, yes, this is normal! It won't last forever. Many people find that they are suddenly able to do that leg lift. So, keep trying, but not too hard, if you know what I mean. When you're ready, you'll be able to do it.

There are some other PT type exercises in the Library. You probably know that already. I would suggest not worrying about that until after you see your OS again. You had a complex surgery and you have lots of healing to do. If you let that healing take place now, there's plenty of time for exercises later.
 
I asked him if I had a chance for these hips to last me a long time
What did he say? I'm all ears!
Tonight for the first time I tried to do a straight leg raise. Couldnt do it. Not even a little bit. That leg was dead weight. Is this unusual at 9 weeks? I realize I spent the first 6 wks NWB but I have been putting full weight thru it for 3 weeks.
Really? You expect after all this poor leg has gone through in the last several months, you expect it to bounce back in 3 short weeks? Patience, grasshopper! It takes a teensy bit longer than that!

Alex's suggestion is right on the money but you could also try half leg raises with a pillow under you knee like so

[Bonesmart.org] What all does this involve?


You could also use a leg lifter to help get the leg lifted when he's not there!

[Bonesmart.org] What all does this involve?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom