Revision THR What all does this involve?

Did he actually say it was because of your CDH? Because you don't actually have CDH any more! But it's generally not a wise thing to do bilateral revisions because one never really knows how easy/difficult it will be to remove the implants and therefore how long they will take. But I am sure you will feel a whole lot better once you have some friendlier implants in there!
 
Josephine He didnt say because of my CHD. I just assumed. When I had these MOM hips put in I was told they couldnt do both at the same time. I guess you are right, I dont have CHD anymore. The nurse just said he wouldnt do both at the same time. I am not sure of the reason. I will find out when I see him in person I guess.

I have always heard the revisions are never as successful as the original. Is this true? I held off on my THR's til I was 40 per my Drs recommendation. He didnt want me to have more than 2 in a lifetime blah blah blah. Now I have had 2 in 3 years! Wish I hadnt wasted all those years in pain & just went ahead with it. Sorry, Im very hurt, angry, & bitter over this. I do not want to go thru this again. Not to mention, because of my CHD I had to be 7 weeks non weight bearing with each hip. There goes my summer & fall!!
 
Im very hurt, angry, & bitter over this.
Of course you are and have every right to be. This thing with these implants is just awful and we could only wish that those involved with the development of them could have been gifted with second sight so they would have known the misery that would ensue. But I could cite many similar instances where 'brilliant ideas', after early incredible success turned out to be catastrophic failures in the long term. Not much solace to you, I know, but progress in medicine was never a straight or easy path.
The nurse just said he wouldnt do both at the same time. I am not sure of the reason.
The reason will be as I stated. One just never knows how long or complex a revision is going to be. I never ever knew a surgeon do bilateral revisions.
I have always heard the revisions are never as successful as the original. Is this true?
Well, that's a very loaded question - so much depends upon the reason for the revision, how much damage has been caused by that reason, how difficult the revision is to do and many other things. If I can put it in a rather plebeian comparison, if your car broke down for some unknown reason, would you expect your mechanic to say right off if he could repair it, how long the repair would take and how much it would cost? It's the same with revisions - it's impossible to say 'never' but unless the revision is being done for a simple loosening or cup liner wear, it might or it might not be as good as it was originally.
 
Hi all! Just wanted to update. I am 13 days out from my right hip revision. In fact I get my staples removed tomorrow. I LOVE my new Ortho. I also really loved the hospital that my Ortho does surgery at. It is an Orthopedic hospital. Ortho is all they do. It was the best hospital stay I have had so far. I did not have to do any non weight bearing. I was up & walking on it as tolerated the next day. So far I am doing really well. Still pretty angry & bitter that I had to do this just 4 yrs out but whatcha gonna do? I will probably do the left one in July. Not looking forward to it but just need to get it done & over with. Josephine
 
Angie, that's a good good good report! And in July, when you do it again, you'll be with a doc and hospital that you know and love. It was lousy that this had to happen, but it's so good that you are back on a path to complete recovery. Please keep us posted with your continued progress.

Sharon
 
Hi Angie68! Congrats on your revision and being able to bear weight as tolerated! I'm sorry you had to go through it again. I would be so angry too. Just wanted to say that I too had my surgery in an orthopedic hospital and it was a great experience! I felt they were on top of everything. Glad that your revision experience seems to be positive so far.
 
Hi Angie,

Welcome to the other side again and it sounds like you were in good hands with your new hospital and OS!! I hope the next hip goes smoothly too, but for now just take it easy and rest & recover.

Take care,
Cardie
 
[Bonesmart.org] What all does this involve?
and you certainly have that, Angie. And when you get that second hip done, you'll be SUPER AWESOME!!!!!

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] What all does this involve?
 
Josephine
In 2009 at a few weeks out from my 2nd hip replacement I posted a pic of my xray. You said you didn't like the length or position of the screws. I have recently found out that I had high metal levels from my MOM hips. I just had the right revision & went for my 6 week appt today. My new Dr showed me my xrays from 2009 & the one they took today. He told me the problem was the screws. They had been tearing into tissue and grinding on the metal. That is what was causing the metal in my blood! Just wanted you to know you were right!

Now a question for ya. My new hips have no screws. How do they stay in place?
 
If uncemented, the cup will be 'press fitted' into place after which the bone will grow into it. If it is cemented, then the cement will act like grout, keeping the cup in place. You can see more here Cemented and uncemented hips.
 
Josephine
I am 9 weeks out from my right hip revision. I am scheduled to have my left one done in 2 weeks. When I saw the Dr at my 6 week appt he said everything looked good on xray. I did have a hairline fracture. He asked if I had fell any. I said no. He said it prob happened when I started walking or could have happened in surgery. Nonetheless it wasnt a concern & would heal. He said I would be fine to have the next one done on July 1st.

I am still on a cane. When I try to step on that leg without the cane it hurts in the buttock area. It feels fine with the cane. Dr never ordered any pt. Told me to do my exercises at home and walk as much as I could in a pool. The weather hasnt really cooperated for that tho. Honestly I haven't exercised a whole lot, but have walked quite a bit. I can do straight leg raises from a laying position but do have that pain in the buttock.

Now I'm kind of panicky over another surgery in 2 weeks. Does anyone think that maybe if I really increase my exercises I could be ready? Could that fracture not be healing? I feel like I have good strength in the leg. I can pull up on a high step coming into my house without pain. I really need to have this next surgery the week of July 1st if at all possible. My husbands work shuts down so he will be off. My 20 yr old daughter will be off & my 2 younger children will be out of school. It just works for all of us. I had my original surgeries in 2009 12 weeks apart with no problems. But shouldn't I be totally off a cane & walking on my own before attempting another surgery?
 
It's normal still to have some pain at nine weeks. I don't think you should increase the exercises. They aren't that useful anyway. Just rest up to get ready for your next surgery.

How much walking are you doing? Too much of that can cause pain too. It's a fine line between enough and too much.

Can you stretch your hamstrings? That might help with the pain. A lot of us have benefited from that after THR.

Are you taking any pain meds? I know some surgeons don't want you to take anything in the weeks before surgery. Others think that tylenol is okay.

Stick around here, okay? There are lots of nice people who want to support you through your revisions.
 
Thanks for responding Alex. I will try some hamstring stretching!
 
Sorry I've not been in - had some leave and today is first day back!
I did have a hairline fracture. He said it prob happened when I started walking or could have happened in surgery.
Trust me, these things are not caused when walking, more than likely it happened in surgery! But they do and usually heal reasonably well.
When I try to step on that leg without the cane it hurts in the buttock area. It feels fine with the cane. Could that fracture not be healing?
I doubt it. From your description, it sounds more like simple post-op pain which would not be at all improbable at 9½ weeks! On the other had it could be Piriformis syndrome. But my money's on the post-op pain! :wink:
Honestly I haven't exercised a whole lot
As long as you've been getting about okay and doing little walks, that's perfectly okay. Hips actually don't need all that much PT, they have a tendency to sort themselves out in time. All you need to do is just be normal!
Now I'm kind of panicky over another surgery in 2 weeks. Does anyone think that maybe if I really increase my exercises I could be ready?
Well, first off, more exercise has rarely made anything better! Last thing you need. Secondly, two weeks is too little time to affect any improvement so I'd just leave it. That pain will be dealt with by the pain meds you are given for your surgery so don't panic about that! Honestly, you'll be fine.

I edited your signature by the way. It helps me understand your dates and where you are in them! :)
 
Josephine
As for the siggy you do what you think needs done Jo.

I agree with you 100% that hips seem to resolve themselves. I am actually feeling a lot better , but still have some of the pain. Not too worried about it tho. Next surgery is on for July 1!
 
I don't know if I should have put this in my recovery thread or not. I decided since it is a separate subject (in a way) I would make a new thread. I also don't get many responses in that thread anymore & would like a lot of input on this subject.

With my right revision (10 weeks ago) I had a terrible time making it to the toilet in time. I just can't move fast enough. This mostly happen after I had been asleep for a few hours & would wake up with my bladder really full. Of course for the first week or 2 as I was on pain meds I slept a lot. After that period it wasnt so bad because I was awake more thru the day. It was & still is an issue at night. This is embarrassing but I literally have peed my pants more than I care to count.

My husband suggested I try to get a bedside potty this time around. I was looking at them online & while reading reviews saw that some of them had their Dr's write a script so their ins would pay for it. I am calling my ins tomorrow. Has anyone else needed one of these & if so did your ins pay? I have heard some wont unless you are bed bound or your restroom is on another floor. Mine is not on another floor but I still can't make it in time. I actually think I need to have my bladder looked at but that is another issue that will have to wait til after the hips are done.

I am NOT trying to get out of walking. After I pee I will gladly take a walk around the house.
 
I understand having a hard time not making it at night. Perhaps you can use the bedside co mode in the nightime only.
 
If you haven't had incontinence problems before surgery, it is likely to be a temporary problem. Some people (me included!!) have problems for several weeks until the effects of the anesthetic wear off. After a time or two of not making it, I bought myself a package of Depends and used those at night. They were amazingly comfortable and did the trick. No leaks and no cleanup other than to fold them up and put them in the trash. The pads in them are designed to hold a LOT of liquid, so there really are no worries.

Some insurance companies do cover a bedside potty if your doctor will prescribe it. So you do need to check with both your insurance and your surgeon.

Don't worry about this being permanent, though. Like I said, unless it was a problem before your surgery, it should clear up in a few weeks.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom