Guest viewing is limited

Revision THR What all does this involve?

I have a number of areas of referred pain, some of which are calming down since my TKR. The oddest one is I have a small cyst on my kneecap on the TKR knee. When I would get a massage and the therapist would work on the piriformis (SP?) muscle or I would stretch it, it would make the cyst in my kneecap "sizzle". That is the only word I have to describe it. There are areas near my shoulder blade, erector spinae, and mid back that would also start hurting when I stand too long. I have not noticed the cyst in my kneecap since the surgery but that might be because there is still some internal swelling and numbness in that area. The other areas have calmed down some, but are not gone. I have lots of aches and pains due to the imbalance set up from the bad knees. My left hip and hip flexor are doing much better, my right hip and hip flexor are slooooowly coming along.
 
Wow, that's encouraging to hear! Sounds like you have some Fibromyalgia and that it is calming down since your surgery. I'm hoping for this too. I've had Fibro for 42 years since my first, botched knee surgery. It is actually more painful than my soon-to-be-replaced right knee, but I am hoping that once i am a person with legs that match I may find some relief. I'm so happy this is the case for you!
 
MRI = Magnetic Resonance Imaging. What is your hip stem made of? They're mostly titanium. Just Googling around I see one reference saying "Titanium is Paramagnetic. This is a form of magnetism which occurs only in the presence of an externally applied magnetic field. Paramagnetic materials are attracted to magnetic fields, hence have a relative magnetic permeability greater than one (or, equivalently, a positive magnetic susceptibility). However, unlike ferromagnetic which are also attracted to magnetic fields, paramagnets do not retain any magnetization in the absence of an externally applied magnetic field." But I suppose the techs running the MRI would know more.
 
because if you have some bone loss in the knee it can make the whole leg out of true, causing you to roll your foot over when you walk. The resulting imbalance will cause pain.
Makes me wonder if my posterior tibial tendonitis will improve when I have my left tkr and if so, if that's partly why not to wait too long...
 
I have a "marker" in my blood called "HLA-B7". One of the indications of this marker, that made my rheumatologist check for it was heel pain. Not saying you have it, but it could be another possibility.
 
Kel, I have wicked posterior tendonitis too and the Dr said that although this will be the last area to feel wonderful at first, the replacement will address it. I don't have any of the markers you mention, just an autoimmune disease of the thyroid, but no RA inflammatory factor or anything. I just notice that when my knee is actively painful, my full body pain gets about ten times more severe. I have been laid up now for weeks..BUT I just got out of bed and did my workout ! Now I'm back in bed watching bad TV. BEcause I am American ,and that is what we do here, (when we aren't shooting each other).
 
Could someone tag this for Jo? I dont know how to do it.
 
The CT scan is nothing like the MRI. You are not in a tube, it is open, you can see all around you - it's like a different kind of xray machine - Do Not worry that you will have a similiar experience to the MRI.

If you ever need an MRI again, medication can be used, or lots of folks (me included) do well with a sleep mask & some kind of music - you can't use an ipod but they should have something for you to use. Also, if you don't like the mask go in with your eyes closed & try to keep them closed. Or there are "open" MRI's which does not have the tube but is more open at the end. It still clangs and clicks though.

Your CT experience will be totally different!!!
 
Could someone tag this for Jo? I dont know how to do it.
You type "@" immediately followed by her name and then you'll see a bunch of similar names appear in a box below and you click the one that's her. Like this Josephine It will appear as a link when you post the reply and she'll get an alert.
 
Hi Angie, I tagged Jo in your post so she should be along soon. I understand your concerns but please try not to worry. At least you are now getting the attention you need.
 
The fluid needs more investigation but the worst case scenario is that you might need to have them redone. If you read the articles about MoM I posted for you earlier, you would see the explanation for this. Fluid coupled with high levels of metal ions are concerning but not inevitably bad news. As I said, it needs more investigation before anyone can be definite about anything.
 
After waiting for 3 weeks on a call as to when my CAT scan was to be I got fed up. I did a lot of searching & found me a new Ortho. I called my other Ortho & asked for my records to be transferred. The nurse said, "Angie, have we angered you?" Yeah just a lil bit! I cant get in with new Ortho til March 26th. Lets hope the metal poisoning dont kill me in the mean time!
 
I would have added this to my ongoing thread like I know adm prefer but I am not getting responses on it anymore. So if anyone wants to move this so be it. As I said in my other thread I got fed up & switched Ortho's. My new Ortho's nurse called this morn. She said that most likely the Dr would want to just replace my head with a ceramic head. She said he prob wouldnt remove all of my metal parts. She said this would make it a much easier surgery than if I were to have it all redone. Of course she told me she didnt know for sure that this is the case. Wont know til I see him in person. What will just removing the head be like in comparison to a whole new replacement?
 
Thats a good question. Welcome Tashia
 
Hi Angie,

Well it looks like you have over a dozen threads in the forum... I tried to look at a couple because I wanted to know more about your story. I could read them, but they are "locked" for any further replies. So unless you have a moderator merge some of them together and unlock them, we'll just start another conversation here...

I always like to know other CDH folks, that is the issue that lead me to THR as well. So, I am wondering why you are having some changes in your hardware? Are you metal on metal and having problems?

I'm sure you'll hear more details from Jo about the difference between the two surgeries and I'm sorry that you are facing another one!!

Take care,
Cardie
 
I merged your most recent threads because I needed to refresh on your case. I certainly hope that nurse is wrong or ignorant because of you are having MoM issues then out of an abundance of caution, the whole things needs replacing, not just the ball. The reason for this is in the construction of the implants. Let me explain:

The stem has a tapered end called the trunion onto which the ball fits. Sometimes, if the surgeon uses these two components from different manufacturers, they're not a snug fit so a third item called a sleeve is interposed between the trunion and the ball to make it so. But this puts a third item into the mix and changes things rather. In a lot of cases, corrosion has been found between the sleeve and the trunion which causes the high metal ions and various other possible effects. Here is a picture of that I am talking about:

[Bonesmart.org] What all does this involve?


Therefore, should this be anything like the case with you, the entire assembly requires replacing for obvious reasons. I would make this crystal clear to your surgeon if he is planning on replacing only one component. You already have one significant symptom. Much better to be safe than sorry.
 
Thanks for your input Jo.

Cardie I have elevated metal levels & an MRI showed fluid around both hips with the right being the worst. I am so disgusted about all this. I just had them both done in 2009 & NOT wanting to go thru it again.
 
I hate you are having to go through all this frustration! I hope you get answers and relief soon.
 
Josephine the nurse was wrong. She called me yesterday & said they have just received my medical records. Dr said that the hips are going to have to come out ASAP. Metal levels are too high. Ugh, I am heartbroken over this. Because of my CHD I cant have both done at the same time. This will mean one hip done, 7 weeks of non weight bearing, about 5 weeks of pt, back for 2nd hip etc. There goes my summer & fall!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom