Bilateral THR Weezy is woozy and back home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Weezy,

I just saw your message in Duncan's pre-op thread. I didn't realize that you are JohnInSeattle; (Costco Man's) wife!!! You two are the amazing Bionic couple!! You realize that we'll need to hear about the return to the bike rides when we get back to the more appropriate weather and you are healed up and ready to go. :thumb:

Hope all is still well with John and that he's been busily tearing up the place with the heavy equipment that he used to show us. :)

Take care and so happy for you both,
Cardie


Hi Cardie! Sorry for the delay in replying...I've been very remiss at keeping up here.

Yup, JohninSeattle is my beloved....I turned him onto Bonesmart when he needed his hip done. He's doing fabulously and can't tell he had his hip replaced (except that it no longer hurts!).

We've been trying to get a bike ride in, but when we've had time, the weather has not been cooperative. Bummer! It may be a while given the rain and cold we've been having.

Weezy
 
Well done Weezy

Get that hubby of yours to get out for a walk with you or he will feel the wrath of your bone smart colleagues. :heehee: I wouldn't go out on a bike just yet as there are a few hippies who had a problem going out on a bike to early.

Billy

Somehow the lure of going for a walk doesn't get hubby out....and the weather just hasn't been good enough to ride when we've had the time.

However, it's no problem and I won't hurt myself because I have a recumbent trike--no skinny seat to sit on. I have a very comfy seat that kind of reclines a bit so there's no stress or strain on hips. It's a VERY comfortable bike. :)

I just wish the weather would clear up enough to actually make it worth taking the bikes out!

Weezy
 
Thanks to everyone for the encouragement and good wishes! I've been lazy about posting and responding here...especially now since Santa (a/k/a my beloved) brought an early Christmas present: the ultimate sewing machine--a Bernina 720QE. I know it won't mean anything to most folks, but this machine is more computer than machine and absolutely fabulous for someone who is an avid quilter and/or seamstress like I am. All I want to do is play with it! This weekend I have GOT to do a fleece jacket for hubby....he really needs one and I want to try the new machine on sewing polar fleece and she how she goes.

Anyway...recovery is going great. Met Nerdgrrl for coffee this morning and had a GREAT time! I'm hoping we can figure out a time/place to get up north a bit and meet Dede for coffee or lunch. So nice to get to know another hippeee.

So I'm 7 weeks yesterday. The biggest issue right now is the old energy thing. Ugh. In some ways that's more difficult to manage than the pain was! My head says I should be fine, but of course my body says I still need to take it easy and I'm just frustrated. I KNOW I need to be patient and I know it will gradually resolve (at about 3 to 4 months probably). I'm just not a very patient person and I want to be able to do everything NOW. haha...whatta joke.

Pain levels are minimal, even after exercise. The most I have is a little aching after doing a weight routine or walking too much. I'm even cutting down on the anti-inflammatories. Rarely take any real pain meds, maybe once or twice a week. Still ice when I think about it.

I can't really believe that I had both hips replaced just 7 weeks ago...overall the recovery has been very smooth and incredibly easy compared to recovering from either knee replacement or even the cancer surgery.

The best part is, I have had NO back pain since the hip replacements--I guess that chronic life-long lower back pain was really my hips. There's still some swelling that is frustrating, but I know that'll go away eventually and I'll be back to being able to easily stand up straight and enjoy the hips! I could stand straight the first few days after surgery, but then swelling kicked in and it feels more like it did before. Ugh. I want to stand up straight again!

But I really can't complain. I've been driving since about 2 weeks; at 4 weeks I drove almost 100 miles roundtrip and spent a few hours wandering around a quilt show/expo. I was pretty pooped for about three days afterwards, but it was well worth it. When i have the energy, I can easily walk around Costco. Housework is easy again and I've mopped floors! I'm almost done decorating for Christmas. I haven't even used crutches since about 2.5/3 weeks and I don't use a cane because I'm feeling very stable and steady when walking--better than before surgery!

So I just need to be patient now and let my body recover. In some ways, this needing to be patient is much more difficult that the first few days after surgery when the pain was at its highest (which wasn't very high compared to knees).

I guess that's about all for now!

Weezy
 
Smiles at your energy drain! I am two weeks behind you and have the same drain. Going to bed at 8pm most nights and would take a nap during the day if I could. I have had the same remarkably smooth recovery but double kudos to you for the bilat recovery! A good friend called me yesterday and wanted to come for New Years. I told her I just wasn't up for entertaining. I know that even though that is another 4 weeks away, it will be here sooner than I imagine and I expect to feel this drain for awhile yet. Good on ya that you are past crutches! I am still using a cane as my old waddle isn't going without a fight. PT has some work to make me do!
Glad you are doing well and have FUN with the new machine!
 
Weezy nice report. We seem to be running very similar recovery schedules, driving, walking, losing
crutches etc. My surgery was a week after yours, but looking at where my incision is, i think i had
a posterior approach. but no worries, my precautions are all but lifted, with common sense still
my guide. Great that you could meet a fellow hippie! I had an acquaintance of mine have bilateral
THR 2 weeks ago, amazing how many of us are out there!
Keep up the good work
:yay:
 
:goodpost: Way to go, Weezy! It's terrific to hear that you are doing so well! :bicycle1: rain gear - that's what you and your hubby need .... living in the Pacific NW means dealing with rain - I grew up in New England and when I moved to Portland I was delighted to discover rain is easier to deal with than snow!
 
Hi Weezy,
I will eventually need to have my other hip done. I was scared to inquire about doing a bilateral so I'm having my worst hip done first next week. Now I wish I had considered it seriously. It sounds like you are having a wonderful recovery. Keep up the good work. :yay: I am so looking forward to feeling "normal" again.

Nessiepie
RTHR Dec. 14, 2012
 
Glad to know I'm not the only one who gets tired, HippyShani! I'm usually in bed by 9 and while I try to avoid naps, some days I just can't. On the bright side, my energy seems to be oh-so-slowly returning but it just isn't fast enough to suit me! I'm doing a very small party Friday night, but its casual and the only thing I really need to do is have the house clean and hubby is helping with that tonight. I figure I can handle a short, small party...no way would I want a guest to stay right now because when I'm tired, I'm TIRED and pretty much just shut down mentally and physically. When that happens, the only thing I can do is vegetate for a day or so. Ugh.

Oh Dutch--YOU'RE the remarkable one! I still can't believe that you're doing what you are! Glad to know that everything continues to go so well for you. You're inspiring!

Thanks, Deb! You're right about rainclothes. They're on my list to make but if it takes much longer I'll probably just break down and buy some. I used to believe in the saying "there's no bad weather, only inadequate clothing" but I have to admit that as I get older, I become more of a bad weather weenie... :yikes: I'll walk in rain, but prefer not to bike in rain--drizzle is fine, but a harder rain just makes my face all wet (the problem of a recumbent bike where my face is pointing up). Glad to hear you like Portland's "liquid snow"...I grew up there and we were always hoping for snow! Of course as a kid its just fun and one could make a dollar shoveling the neighbor's walk.

Nessiepie--good luck next week! You'll be amazed at the pain relief you'll have once you've healed. I wanted a bilateral because of my knees: I had my knees replaced one at a time and wished that I had gone through just one really miserable recovery instead of two really miserable recoveries. Also, I knew that because I was having my hips done with an anterior approach, I knew that the recovery wouldn't be too bad because there wouldn't be any movement/bending restrictions. However, I would have still been happy to just have the most painful hip done even if it meant going back to get the other one done later! The pain relief was incredible.

Weezy
 
Weezy, it's great that you're doing so well. That energy drain is a biggie for us mono-laterals, so of course it's going to be even more challenging when you've done both at once. I found the three month point was a breakthrough in regaining energy, although there is still room to improve. It is counter-productive to try and fight it...just build in the rest time and let your body keep healing. Do remember that your body will be working at healing for a good year and possibly longer. After those early weeks it is all happening behind the scenes....the energy drain is the reminder that forces are at work for your benefit. :)

I am envious of your meet up with nerdgrrl and possibly dede. I often think that it would be so nice to sit and have coffee or lunch with so many people here. I visited Seattle once and loved it. What a great place to meet for coffee.

And enjoy your new toy. I have several friends who are incredibly accomplished sewers and quilters. I'm awed by their work. I'm never willing to put down my knitting needles long enough to do more than dabble with my machine.

Sharon
 
Weezy..you are the one who had the perfect words for me, reassuring me that the hips would be so much easier than the knees. So those words sit with me still a I prepare for the Jan surgery. I truly am grateful for your reassurance. After all, I figure nothing could have been worse, right?
 
Hi Merry! I think that the worst part about anterior THRs is the waiting to get it done! Even though I've hit a tiny rough patch (my own fault...I'll do a post about it soon), it's STILL easier than even one TKR. You'll love the pain relief--even the surgical pain is less than the hip bone-on-bone pain.

So what are you knitting these days?
 
And yet another update....

OK, I overdid things in a MAJOR way last Friday (12/7). A few friends were coming over that night, and I woke up feeling good so I started cleaning...and cleaning...and cleaning. I just kept going because I felt GOOD and nothing was hurting! Cleaned and was on my feet all day and then at the party that evening I was also on my feet a lot.

Well, it is now Tuesday and I'm still recovering and suffering. Nothing major, just aching that is disturbing my sleep and heaven knows that disturbed sleep is NOT a good thing for me (I get GRUMPY). Also was really really really really tired and am still tired, both from the bad sleep and overdoing. I have been taking it easier the past couple of days, although yesterday I realized I had done a couple hours of chores without really realizing it. It's been so long since I could do stuff like that so I'm really enjoying making the house look nice again.

Was it worth it? YES! I felt so normal on Friday! I do regret it in many ways, mostly because of the increased night time pain, but oh well. That's life. I'm at the really impatient stage right now.

Onward and upward! I'm meeting a friend tomorrow and we're going shopping and then out to lunch. It'll be interesting to see how I feel on Thursday.

Weezy
 
Weezy, we are all entitled to an overdoing day, but you are doing so great, just the fact that you could over do it like that shows it
 
Ooh, I can understand the disappointment because you have been being so careful not to overdo. However, it sounds like you had a great time! I hope you get your full energy back soon!
 
Weezy, sorry you're so sore from your cleaning spree, but glad to hear you had a good time! So how does one just start cleaning without realizing it?!? :scratch:

Rest up friend! You'll be back to your old self soon. Self-love!!!!
 
Ah the ups and downs of recovery..... whatta pain!

I way over-planned this week, especially since I've been cleaning without really noticing it. :umm: I'm really not quite sure how that happens! Good question, Dede!

So doc appointment on Monday (cancer surgery follow up and all is well!); stayed home on Tuesday because I had taken pain meds Monday night and was groggy and tired all day. Went shopping on Wednesday which was GREAT -- walked all around a big mall, had lunch with a friend, spent 1.5 hours in traffic on the way home. Was totally exhausted yesterday (Thursday) but had a sewing class scheduled for my new machine. Managed to do it, but wished I could have stayed home.

Today is Friday and I'm going to dinner at a fancy-schmancy restaurant and then a show with a friend. I'm really looking forward to it because I love the friend and doing things like that, but I'm tired and sore still. Not sleeping well at all because of pain; waking up every time I move. Sigh. Lots of swelling going on inside. Ice packs are definitely my friend right now!

So I'm taking it really easy today until I need to get ready. Fortunately, my beloved is taking me to the restaurant and then picking me up after the show so I don't have to drive. We'll be walking from the restaurant to the theater (about 5 blocks), and I know I can do that. I just hope I don't fall asleep during the show! lol....probably won't.

Next week? pretty much NOTHING planned except meeting an old friend for coffee on Thursday. And that's about all I intend to plan. Need lots of unstructured time to rest.

Overall, I just keep reminding myself how easy this recovery has been compared to my knee replacements. This is a cake walk! Heck, I'm SHOPPING at less than 8 weeks!!! I need to keep that in mind...8 weeks after either knee replacement I was still on crutches and battling huge amounts of swelling and pain. This is so minor in comparison.

Weezy (a/k/a the whiner)
 
You are not a whiner, as you said compared to your knee this is way better. You are doing well and running circles around me. Take Care
 
Weezy..I am using you as my ultimate example for my forthcoming hip surgery. You have always said that this was so much easier than the knees. Think my OS would like it if I told him, "Weezy says" <g>

Did some knitting. My first after my thumb joint arthroplasties. Easy pattern..one row scarf that looks more complex than it is but I love doing it. And with delicious yarn it looks great. I should post it on the social forum.
So glad that you are coming along so well. I marvel at what you are doing?
Are you able to sit at your sewing machine for long periods of time. Do your knees still feel stiff?
 
Not sleeping well at all because of pain; waking up every time I move. Sigh. Lots of swelling going on inside. Ice packs are definitely my friend right now!

Hi Weezy,

I hope the dinner and show were enjoyable and manageable last night and that this weekend you are totally taking it easy!! Maybe you have some of those kitties John showed us during his recovery time, surrounding you in a protective cocoon...

Where's your pain at night? Do you think it's just from having such totally active days as you mention also? Are you up for taking something for the pain and inflammation at nighttime?

Take it easy girl, you deserve it!! :thumb:
Cardie
 
Thanks for saying I'm not a whiner, Beth....I have to admit that I sometimes feel guilty because this recovery is going SOOOO well and that no matter what, I shouldn't complain at all. The fact that only swelling/some pain and tiredness are my only symptoms at 8 weeks just blows me away.

Yay for knitting, Merry! Congrats on trying it again. It must have been really hard to have that taken away from you. I'd LOVE to see a picture of the scarf--always looking for patterns that look great but are easy (I love "brain dead" knitting where I can just go on auto pilot). I didn't knit for years because of carpal tunnel inflammation and pain, but since I went no grain/low carb, my inflammation is gone and I fortunately have no problems knitting now.

"You have always said that this was so much easier than the knees. Think my OS would like it if I told him, "Weezy says" <g>" lol...he'd probably think you were a bit nutty! But it is easier than knees, especially the anterior approach (which is my only experience with hips).

Re sewing: No, my knees don't get stiff or feel sore after sewing now. They used to, but again, with all of the inflammation gone because of my eating changes, nothing seems to get sore any more other than my still-newly-healing hips. Now my time sewing is more dependent on overall energy than anything else. I'm careful about not sewing when I'm in "stupid tired" because that could lead to injury (to either me or my beautiful new machine).
The dinner and show were FABULOUS, Cardie! I even walked around the Christmas-sy areas and admired the decorations before going to the restaurant since I was a bit early. The walk from the restaurant to the theater was a little over 6 blocks but I did it QUICKLY and walked great! The friend who was with me is very tall and long-legged, but we linked arms and I was able to easily keep up with him; however, I don't know if I could have walked that quickly without hanging onto his arm--that gave me just that little bit more of confidence and feeling of stability.

Right now, I'm rarely taking any actual pain meds other than diclofenac for inflammation. I think I took an oxycontin once last week. Unfortunately, I don't sleep any better at night when I take drugs because they really mess up my sleep cycles. it's either messed up sleep because of drugs or messed up sleep because of pain. I'm just trying to be patient because I know it'll go away in the next couple months.

In general:

After such a busy week last week, I've planned NOTHING for this week. Right now, I'm watching movies, icing, and knitting. That's it for the next several days. I'm tired and pretty darn sore and I don't think that pushing right now will accomplish anything. It's a good reason to finish up the sleeves to my current knitting project and maybe even start the next one (I HATE doing sleeves and have to really force myself to finish them!). The most strenuous thing I have planned is swapping out my ice packs or making another pot of tea....

Weezy
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom