Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Weezy is woozy and back home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys....when I had my knees done, I had dreams of a good recovery but that wasn't the reality. Both my knee recoveries were pretty rough and took a very long time. Guess that's one reason why I'm feeling a bit guilty now! Somehow a BTHR recovery shouldn't be this easy...but then again, I took advantage of my hubby's research in finding the best locally, and I had him to take care of me and feed me really good food even when I was in the hospital.

To update my earlier post today: I put on socks AND shoes that had to be tied--and tied them! It wasn't very difficult. Not quite as much flexibility as usual, but not too far off. It's so nice to dress in real clothes like jeans and shirts.

THEN I DROVE! Can't believe it. Drove quite a ways out to hubby's office (15 minutes by freeway), and then went home the scenic, slow route. A bit tired now, but overall not bad. Felt fine driving, no problems with legs or with breaking/gas leg at all. Joey was good company and snoozed beside me all the way. He's a dog that really likes his rides.
 
What a great update Weezy, you are doing very well... love the company of your dog :)

Well done you... rest now :)
 
I can't believe what I did yesterday....after all the excitement of putting on shoes and socks and then driving, I went shopping with hubby when he got home. Believe it or not, I WALKED around Kohls (a medium-sized department store). Did it without crutches and just held onto hubby when walking. Then we needed to stop at Costco (in our lives, rarely a day can go by without a Costco visit....). No scooters were available, so I decided to walk using a cart instead of crutches. We really did walk pretty much all over the store and I did fine. Tired by the end, but not really sore at all.

So I slept really well last night, no pain meds other than Tylenol (iced too), and my legs feel fine this morning. I'm a little tired feeling overall, and my thigh muscles are feeling a bit tired and overworked, but overall I can't believe how much I did yesterday and how normal I feel.

I think I'll spend most of the day sitting and finishing up a sweater that I have almost done....just need to sew it together and knit the front/neck band.

Maybe tomorrow I'll venture to my sewing room and do something fun. The weather's turned and its chilly now so maybe I'll make hubby a new polar fleece jacket....his last one is all worn out. Something simple and easy to do, but still sewing which always makes me feel better.

Amazing!
 
Wow Weezy, you are doing amazingly well! Be sure and plan to down time after activity so you can build up gradually. Well done!
 
Weezy great to hear how far you have come. I hope to be right on your heals :)
When you say you tied your shoes, did you do it by reaching down between your
knees with the knees pointed out? That is how i invision doing that without breaking
the 90 degree precaution. My doc mentioned that during one of my preop appointments,
that i'd be able to reach down that way to get to my feet a few weeks after surgery.

I am about a week behind you for surgery, bilateral also. I am venturing outside for
walks every day now, and going to outpatient therapy, and taking little pain meds, but
they do help me sleep at nite. I am getting sore muscles from the therapy, but i don't
mind that at all as i know it's part of the rebuilding.

we have a couple nice days coming up this weekend, and i'm looking forward to getting
out of the house for some time! even if just riding in the car for a bit maybe venture
out to dinner someplace.

keep up the good work

dutch
 
Flippen heck how did you manage socks? As for tieing shoes I think I must be a T-Rex with very short arms and a tendency to snap.
 
Hey Puddlefish....somehow I doubt you're a T-Rex! but it makes for a good chuckle picturing a T-Rex trying to put on socks and shoes.

Regarding how I did it: The big thing is that I had an anterior approach on both hips so my doc did not put any restrictions on how I could move or bend. His advice was "if it hurts, don't do it." I can bend just fine. So to put on my socks and then shoes and tie them, I did it my usual way: Kind of crossed one leg on top of the other so I could reach my foot. Muscles were a bit tight and I didn't want to stretch them too much yet so it was a tiny bit awkward, but not bad at all. Didn't hurt at all. I'm sure that way would be violating the 90 degree rule.

Dutch--I'm envious of your walks outside! The weather has been very nice here--very "fallish" and crisp and mostly clear. Unfortunately, we live on a bunch of hills so I haven't been inclined to walk outside yet. I'm feeling very stable on flat ground, but not ready to try hills yet (stamina and balance are both stopping me). Since I discovered I could drive yesterday, I may drive to some flat spots in the near future and walk there, but I'm too tired today to even want to go outside. Walking outside is not only good exercise, it's good for the soul and I miss it tremendously. Haven't been able to walk comfortably for a very long time and I can't wait until I can take the canine critter for long walks again.

If the weather stays nice over the weekend, I might see if I can talk hubby into a VERY short bikeride on a flat trail....oh that would feel glorious!
 
Addendum to all the stuff I did yesterday:

Yup, I overdid it yesterday. However, on the bright side, hips are NOT more sore or more swollen. They're actually both feeling pretty darn good. I'm just tired. Very tired. Not moving from my recliner much at all today. But that's OK--I'm finishing up a sweater I started last July and since its colder here now, I really want to get it done. At least I feel good enough to sit up and knit instead of staying in bed and snoozing all day, so that is also good progress.

Overall, I don't think I'd trade what I did yesterday--it felt so good and SO normal. Haven't felt normal for a very very long time. I don't mind having a "down" day to recover; it was all worth it.
 
Ahh that explains it, and why Im having to work hard to get to the 90 degree bend as that makes sitting in a chair a bit more comfy. I stilll cant lie completly flat on my back in bed or on my stomach and forget lying on my side as well.
 
I'm in awe of those of you who manage to adhere to the 90 degree rule and necessary restrictions. That seems like it would be incredibly difficult.
 
I have never had a problem with the rule as if I put myself in a position that breaks it , it hurts , I have never crossed my legs and if you place grabbers everywhere it prompts you to use them and not bend down , the only one I have done is twist round sharply .
Sleeping also a problem for me as sleep on my side , I am only two weeks post op so unable to do this as pretty uncomfortable even on non (recently) operated side, I have to sleep with knees slightly bent and a pillow underneath however due to aching from hip don't sleep much, have used my tens machine today on front of thigh where pain radiates and a bit less uncomfortable . for some reason if I lay on bed during the day the ache goes, it is like the hip knows when bedtime is and kicks off. btwn 11pm and 6am
 
wow, no hip precautions, that's great! ever since the surgery (and it started before) it's been
driven into my head on how not to move etc. I do ok, have help here to put on socks, and
use sneakers that i can just step into, so i don't need much help.
walking outside is great, i did another half mile friday and saturday, and on saturday i had my
g/f with me and didn't use the crutches. that was a bit harder, but, i concentrated on my
gait, as the physical therapist is having me start really working on my gait, exaggerating my
steps, more like a march, walking heel to toe.

weezy, did you get an approval from your doctor to drive? i think i am ready, but don't want
to try it until i get the word from the doc. maybe if i tell them i can walk 1/2 mile unassisted
they will let me.

keep up the good work all!
 
Hi Dutch...my doc didn't care when I decided to drive--as long as I felt up to it, had the necessary muscle control, and was not on any drugs. This recovery has gone so smoothly I've had minimal contact with my OS or even anyone in his office.

I'm trying to convince hubby to go on an outdoor walk with me, but he's been so busy that it hasn't happened yet. Maybe today. It was too cold yesterday to attempt a bike ride and it looks like it'll be cold again today. I'm pretty much walking without crutches at all, but I think I'd still want them if I was walking outside by myself.
 
Hi Weezy,
Walking at home no crutches with sticks on level ground. What I have been doing is 4 steps with sticks/crutches 4 steps without. I can manage short distances but the trouble is to get anywhere nice its about 40min walk too much without crutches at the moment.
 
Hi Weezy,

I just saw your message in Duncan's pre-op thread. I didn't realize that you are JohnInSeattle; (Costco Man's) wife!!! You two are the amazing Bionic couple!! You realize that we'll need to hear about the return to the bike rides when we get back to the more appropriate weather and you are healed up and ready to go. :thumb:

Hope all is still well with John and that he's been busily tearing up the place with the heavy equipment that he used to show us. :)

Take care and so happy for you both,
Cardie
 
Well done Weezy

Get that hubby of yours to get out for a walk with you or he will feel the wrath of your bone smart colleagues. :heehee: I wouldn't go out on a bike just yet as there are a few hippies who had a problem going out on a bike to early.

Billy
 
Wow! Another BoneSmart warrior woman. Way to go Weezy. You are making it look easy.
 
Weezy, tell John he still needs the walking exercise.... :)
 
Weezy,

Sounds like things are going great for you. Hope you're enjoying yourselves!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom