Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Weezy is woozy and back home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dribs and drabs and catching up again....wow....can't seem to stay focused long enough to really participate in any discussions! Everything's pretty much hit and miss right now.

Staples came out last Thursday and it went fine. Felt some little pinches, but nothing bad and not bad enough to really make me whine TOO much (although it was nice that hubby offered to hold my hand). Mostly it was just the idea of someone doing something to the scars that bothered me.

Both scars look great--I'm amazed at how little swelling there is right around the scars themselves. There is, of course, swelling in moderate amounts from my knees to my hips, but it doesn't seem to be too bad. Sometimes the swelling seems to restrict my movement a bit, but I still feel like I have more ROM than I did before surgery. I can certainly stand up straighter and more easily now than I could before surgery.

Pain levels are definitely going down. Yippeeee! I have to be careful about over doing, because that definitely sends them back up, but if I'm careful, I'm discovering that the pain is quite a ways down now. The PA suggested that when I'm ready to cut down on meds, I first stop taking one of the 12-hour oxy doses (continue with the 4 hour doses as needed), and then cut out the second 12-hour oxy dose. Yesterday I didn't take my a.m. 12-hour dose and didn't even notice it, so I guess that's a good thing. Also to the point where I'm forgetting to take the 4-hour doses. But then again, I'm also not really doing anything yet so I realize I made need to up the pain meds a bit when I start doing more.

Mechanically I can do the stairs just fine, but they're such an energy drain right now that I'm not doing them very often. My thigh muscles on the right side have also been more swollen and sore the past couple days so I figure there's not point in irritating them more. I guess it'll come naturally when I'm ready to do more stair climbing.

Differences in the legs: This is what has continued to amaze me! Doc said that both hips were pretty bad, but before surgery I mainly had pain in my right hip but more severely restricted ROM on the left. After surgery, the right side has continued to be more painful, more bruised, and more swollen with a lot more obvious impact on the muscles in the thigh. Not complaining about it because even the more sore right side is doing well, just an observation. I expected some differences, but just not as much as there really are.

As soon as I can hobble out to my office and the scanner, I'll scan the picture of my x-rays from the last doc appointment and load them....it's amazing how level my pelvis is! No wonder it's easier to stand and walk! The x-ray before surgery showed a definitely tilted pelvis and now it is completely level. Wow. Too cool! It feels like such luxury to stand equally on both legs because they're the same length.

Funny: I guess I am doing lots better....last night when I got up to go the bathroom, I was back in bed before I realized that I'd left my crutch in there! Happened again this morning--I was in the kitchen before I realized that I wasn't using a crutch or anything. Still wouldn't want to step outside with two crutches, but since our house is arranged so that I don't have to go more than a step or two without something to grab onto, I guess it's OK to forget to use a crutch. Still need something stable to lean on when I get out of bed (i.e., walker), but once I'm standing, I seem to be fine which is probably why I'm forgetting to grab anything. I feel very balanced and stable and upright. Amazing.

Hardest thing right now is just being patient and continuing to rest and nap. Because I'm not hurting a huge amount (like with the knee replacements), my head wants me to go do things and be up and about...but my body still tells me NO. Still sleeping a lot, although naps are down some in length now. Can sit up for longer, although my concentration still seems to wane very quickly.

Overall, I think I'm recovering very well. I'm amazed at how well I feel just two weeks out, even though I know I still have several months of real recovery to come. Of course, the fabulous food that hubby is cooking and feeding me doesn't hurt...I'm so lucky! We had a "meatza" (pizza without the crust) last night that was to die for...and we just finished up the best rainy weather chicken soup before that....not to mention the homemade frozen custard topped with pecans sauteed in butter..... who wouldn't heal well with all that????

Weezy

Weezy
 
Here's some pictures that hubby took of me and the critters a couple of days after I came home. The dog is Joey, the gray cat is Tucker (the same one that is shown as my avatar only all grown up now) and the striped cat is Sammy (she's really hard to see in the one picture--she just blends in with the quilt. I made the quilt the week before surgery because I wanted something cozy and colorful to snuggle under.

Most of the time I'm in bed there is at least one critter keeping me company; sometimes its two or three!



[Bonesmart.org] Weezy is woozy and back home


[Bonesmart.org] Weezy is woozy and back home



[Bonesmart.org] Weezy is woozy and back home


[Bonesmart.org] Weezy is woozy and back home
 
Beautiful quilt, Weezy. Among my favorite combination of colors.

A thought on the pain meds: It's very tempting to cut down and just plan to add some back if you need them. But it's also harder to play catch up than it is to stay ahead of the pain. So cut down veeerrrryyyyy slowly and gradually. You are ONLY 2 weeks out....that's a tiny blip in time....with TWO surgical sites. Be kind to yourself. You still need tons of sleep and rest.

Sharon
 
Terrific update, Weezy!! And the pictures are wonderful - I love the quilt decorated with you beautiful fur kids :) You've got 2 purramedics and a dogtor to help you recuperate ;) I too had one leg that seemed to take longer to fully rehab than the other one - only within the past month or so have I been able to get the right foot up on left knee to put sock on ..... but slow and steady is the way to go - and do be cautious about giving up the pain meds too soon. As you get more active the muscles will start to "speak" to you and let you know that not all post-op pain is from healing incisions.

You are doing so very well - it is wonderful to read - and be sure to tell your DH that he is appreciated - the food sounds yummy!
 
Love, love, love your sweet caregiving pets! And, that your husband held your hand. Take your pain medication, ice and elevate! Be kind to yourself!
 
Hi Weezy the critters are so cute :-). Glad your also recovering well just take it slowly once you feel like doing everything as all the healing is going on in the background.
 
Purramedics and a dogtor! Whatta hoot! Thanks for the chuckle. As I write this, both Tucker and Joey are nearby--they are definitely the two constants; the other cats tend to come and go.

Amazingly enough, pain levels continue to be very low. Taking narcotics mostly just at night now, and even then only 1 pill once during the night. Tylenol during the day seems to be enough. Tonight will be an interesting test though because I did the stairs today for "exercise"...wanted to see how tired I was after doing them. Definitely improvement from the last time I did them about 4 days ago. Didn't immediately feel tired, although I did take a 2 hour nap afterwards. Knowing that I can go downstairs and take a shower whenever I want is one of the feelings of freedom and progress.

Have been sitting up most of the day for the past couple of days, and even started doing a little knitting. Nothing that takes thought though, just doing a swatch for my next sweater. At least I'm starting to feel restless if I spend too much time in bed...for me, that's a sure sign that I'm feeling better/healing overall. Funny, with my knees, that restless feeling didn't come until about a month after surgery each time.

Tomorrow night (Halloween), we're going to WalMart so I can scooter around. It'll probably be a ghost town! If I feel up to it, we'll also stop at Costco. I'm looking forward to getting out a bit.

Weey
 
Sounds like you are doing great Weezy. Easy does it though. Very early days and the energy drain is a real milestone. Love your animals! They are real therapy when you are healing!
 
Great photos weexy, you really are doing well.. Good for you. Keen to hear how your trip out goes :)
 
Wow, our hip & thigh experiences make them kissing cousins! I have exactly the same differences between my right & left hips both pre & post op. 6 weeks out my right leg is still way weaker but gaining strength. I'm told hips heal at different rates & not to worry. If I continue to gain funtionality at the same rate I should be independently walking in 2-3 weeks. Looking forward to that day
 
Big night out! Last night was Halloween and since we never have any trick or treaters in our neighborhood, we like to run errands on Halloween.

True to form, Costco, WalMart, and Trader Joe's were all so empty we could have had scooter races or gone bowling in the aisles. It was fun at all three places because there were scooters available and without anyone around, it was easier scootering and I didn't have to watch out for small fry darting about.

It felt good to walk from the car to the doors at each store, although I was getting pretty tired and sore by the last store (TJs). I was ready to go to bed when we got home, so that's what I did. What pain there was was easily controlled with the normal pain meds and I quickly fell asleep with no problems. A little stiff this morning, but not bad considering that I did more walking and was more active yesterday than I have been since surgery.

Earlier in the day I had gone downstairs, taken a shower, and dressed in "real" clothes (as opposed to sweats or nightshirt). Of course I timed it so that I could take a 2 hour nap before hubby got home!

Overall, it was great: two weeks and one day after bilateral THR, I was climbing stairs by myself, and scootering around three stores! Amazing! I feel fine today with very little residual stiffness and no extra pain.

Weezy
 
Wow Weezy, you are doing amazingly well! All that shopping and still going (almost) strong. For so early out you are really progressing. Well done!
 
Wow Weezy, how fantastic!! So great to hear how well you're progressing. Gives me hope and re-assurance, thanks so much for that!!!
 
Isn't it wonderful to be getting back to normal - without the bone-on-bone pain? I remember being so delighted just to be able to do routine stuff - heehee the scootering sounds like a great way to spend Halloween :bicycle1: I handed out candy and admired lots of cute little ones in imaginative costumes - my "costume" was black slacks, black turtle neck, and a purple T shirt decorated with spiders and witches hats with a caption that read "If the hat fits ....."
 
Life continues to become more and more normal every day....my recovery is going so well that I feel guilty! I'm three weeks and two days out from surgery.

Today I just carried one crutch outside to my office "just in case" I needed it. I didn't need it. I'm walking great, although I still want my crutches for any length of walking, they are just for balance and not because my legs hurt.

Last night we did a lot of errands and I walked around PetSmart to get cat food, scootered around two other stores where I walked into the stores and back to the car. I was tired when we got home, but not TOO tired, if you know what I mean.

This morning my legs feel great; thigh muscles are a teeny bit sore feeling, but its the kind of feeling I would get from doing a long, strenuous bikeride before I was built up--not bad at all. No bone pain, no incision pain, no weakness, no nothing! I've only taken Tylenol twice a day for the past several days even though I'm been increasing my activities and doing some PT exercises. No increase in pain at all. Icing at night, but that's about it. Not hardly any swelling in either leg--just a tiny bit puffy around the actual joint and incision.

Stamina is getting better so I've started doing a bit of work again. I just finished a big project and by the end of it, I was able to work steadily for about 1.5 hours at a time and do that twice a day. The first time I worked I could only do about an hour before I was muddle-headed. Stamina seems to be coming back pretty quickly and my brain is finally clearing up so working/thinking is feeling pretty much back to normal. I've got another new client project coming in the next few days so it will be interesting to see how much I can work at a stretch.

I'm totally amazed at how I've been recovering. We're going to move my bed back downstairs this weekend so life will be even more normal. I really thought that since I was getting two hips done my recovery would be much much slower and more like one of my miserable knee replacement recoveries, but it isn't. This has been pretty much a breeze and I'm astounded and grateful. Next week I'm planning on going to a little sew/quilt expo and wandering around. Given how I'm feeling today, it should be fine and I know I can stop and rest whenever I need to. I'll probably take my crutches just in case, but who knows....


Overall, I wouldn't have done my hips any other way!
 
Wow! Sounds great! Don't feel guilty. It is nice for the rest of us to hear about good recoveries!
-nerdgrrl
 
I agree, I got a lot of hope out of reading about other speedy recoveries and I had one too, by following their example and getting a DAA with a good doctor.
Weezy's hubby :iagree:
 
Weezy,

So glad to hear you are getting along quite well. Sounds like you're also planning ahead for your outings so you're being a good scout and taking your aids 'just in case.' Have fun at the expo!

dede62
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom