TKR Week 20 update...all good and getting better

I forgot to say hi for you to Dr Allen
You've seen him? I just scanned through your thread but cannot find any mention of you seeing him! How did you get along with him?
(and btw, it's Mr Allen!)
 
You've seen him?
Hi @Josephine, yes, Mr Allen did my TKR at The Rivers hospital after you pointed me in his direction several weeks ago. He was excellent, at least in terms of the consultation and what he told me - and the outcome is good so far (a little over a week after the surgery). I'll be seeing him again in early March for a follow up. So thanks again for the pointer.
 
Thanks Rob, my husband is ecstatic!
:happydance::spin::dancy:

Though not a sports fan myself, I’m happy for him.

I’m glad your team won the other day, too!
 
the city celebrated like it was New Year's Eve and then some
I can imagine it must have been fantastic Kate, and made even sweeter because the Patriots were previous winners and the favourites. Everyone loves the underdog!

I was lucky enough to get a ticket to the 2015 Rugby World Cup Final which was a match between Australia and New Zealand. New Zealand are the best in world, have been for years and I love watching them play.

Even though my home country wasn't in the final, I had the most incredible day out supporting NZ - just like a NYE, but on steroids - and NZ won, which was the icing on the cake.

In a country as large as the US, I expect getting hold of a Super Bowl ticket is virtually impossible.

[Bonesmart.org] Week 20 update...all good and getting better

Australia v New Zealand - Rugby World Cup Final, Twickenham, England - 31st Oct 2015
 
  • Like
Reactions: KTO
Day 10 (Mon 5th Feb) - Today I've begun to realise how much I've progressed since surgery.

I had a trip to the GP to check on the cellulitis, and she was happy with progress. It was still painful for most of the day, but co-codamol helps with that. The doc said that the pain may hang around for a few more days, and that I may need to continue the course of antibiotics into a second week.

I was able to get myself in and out of the car for the first time without someone having to lift my leg in and out for me. I also noticed that I'm frequently just lifting my leg to do things like I used to, but only when I don't think about it. So I've been lifting my leg up and down from the sofa occasionally without a problem, but the moment I 'think' about doing it it becomes a job and a half. At least there is some strength there, which is a good thing.

Swelling is definitely down to near normal for my leg, but the knee itself is still puffy. I ice for about 20 minutes at a time 4 or 5 times a day, and elevate similarly.

I am doing the basic static flexion/extension exercises every couple of hours, but not religiously, and I don't have any issues with pain or swelling in doing them, only with the minor 'garden hose' swelling that is preventing better flexion.

My ROM is probably at or just better than 0 in extension and the heel slides get me to about 90 in flexion. I haven't had any post-op PT yet, first session is scheduled for this Friday.

In terms of mobility, I am able to walk around walking stick free in the house and do a fair bit of that, but I still use one to go up and down the stairs and when I'm outside. It has been lovely to get out and about for a short walk to the local coffee shop.

The biggest problem I find at the moment are the minor aches and pains I get around the knee, and finding a comfortable position to try to make them go away, but it's not all the time or all that bad, so I'm not complaining. I remember a similar thing after ACL surgery, where there was a week or two when I just couldn't make my knee comfortable for more than 5 minutes before having to readjust it to some other position.

I'm starting to contemplate a move during the day from 8/500 co-codamol to simple paracetamol, and 30/500 co-codamol at night to 8/500, but I expect I'll wait until the cellulitis calms further.
 
Last edited:
Sounds like you’re coming along well!

It’s great when you realize you did a normal thing without thinking about it!

Some of my bowling friends comment to me that I don’t approach the line yet like I did before surgery. (Which annoys me, they haven’t had a knee replacement!) But anyway, it is definitely also a mind thing, my mind just won’t let me walk towards the line while swinging my ball back and then forward into the throw. What I’m doing now is just carrying the ball to the line and then throwing while bending from the waist. But yesterday I noticed that without thinking about it I actually bent further and my knee bent a bit, letting me let go of the ball closer to the floor. A minor victory for me!
 
The doc said that the pain may hang around for a few more days, and that I may need to continue the course of antibiotics into a second week.
She's optimistic! I'd have said more like a few more weeks !!
 
Days 11-13 (Tue 6th to Thu 8th Feb) - No huge changes up or down over the last few days, but the salient points are:

Physio/Mobility - I had my first post-op physio session on Wednesday morning, and the PT (who I know from pre-op physio) said we need to be cautious of overdoing it, mainly because of the cellulitis, which needs to be gone. ROM was measured at 0 extension and 100 flexion, so pretty good. Exercises are now to be done 3 times a day; Static Quads 3 sets of 15 reps holding for 5 seconds each rep; Lower leg lifts off roller - 3 sets of 10 holding for 5 seconds each rep; Straight leg raises - 3 sets of 10 holding for 5 seconds each rep. On top of this, I am doing heel slides every hour or so to help with flexion. I don't really have any pain with any of this. My leg is back to normal in terms of size, but my knee remains fairly swollen. I elevate most of the time that I'm sat down and ice 5 times a day for 20 minutes - much more than this is too much for me as my knee just goes completely numb.

Cellulitis - I finished my course of antibiotics on Thursday, but still had some pain and redness in the area, so have been prescribed an extended course of Flucloxacillin 500mg 4 times a day. Typically, as of Friday morning when I was due to start the new course, the cellulitis and pain seems to be a lot better. I feel like a hypochondriac, but will continue with the extended course.

Clips/Staples - had 38 of these taken out on Wednesday (day 12) and pleased to report that I didn't feel a thing. Whilst at the hospital I mentioned the cellulitis to the nurse, only to understand whether I should be wearing the TED stockings with it. She called the duty doctor (note this is a private hospital), and I explained the circumstances to him - namely that I think I got cellulitis from a scratch where a staff nurse was helping me on with TEDs the day I was leaving hospital, 2 days later was inflamed and extremely painful around the site of that scratch, saw GP, was diagnosed Cellulitis and prescribed antibiotics. The hospital doctor looked at it and asked me why I thought it was cellulitis? I told him I didn't know what it was, other than very painful and frustrating given that my new knee has been fine, but that my GP had diagnosed it a week ago when it was significantly worse. He dismissed it as probably not being cellulitis and related to my knee op. I couldn't be bothered to argue, but in my view this was definitely unrelated to my TKR.

Pain/Meds - I wouldn't say I am pain free, but I have knee aches which are a relatively minor inconvenience (considering what has been done to my knee). On Thursday I switched from daytime 2 x 8/500 co-codamol to 2 x 500 paracetamol, 3 times a day, and also stopped my 1 x 400g Ibuprofen 3 times a day. Overnight I stay with a dose of 2 x 8/500 co-codamol. This seems to work for now.

Other - I have started to notice a peculiar clunk sound in my knee when patting it dry on the knee cap area after a shower. I can only assume this is the 'plastic' half of my kneecap knocking on the new joint. It doesn't hurt at all, but it's a bit weird to hear it!
 
Our new knees are only too happy to treat us to new sounds and sensations: clunks, clicks, tightness, aches, twinges, zingers... the list goes on and on. Pretty fun, huh? :)

After reading your list of exercises, I'm going to say you are doing too much. Though you say that the exercise doesn't cause pain in your knee, you do mention it's fairly swollen. Continued or increased swelling is a sign you are doing too much, so you might consider cutting back. If at any time you notice pain or increased swelling, definitely cut back. Your flexion is excellent for this early and you're doing so well, you just don't want to bring on any setbacks. Moving is good for your knee, so beware of crossing over to doing too much!

If you can trace your inflamed skin lesion to a specific act, then that act is what caused it. A scratch seems a good candidate. Your GP is on top of it, thank goodness! It's enough to have a TKR to recover from; no one needs other problems along with.

You're doing great and have such a positive attitude. You're an inspiration to others already!
 
Thanks @SusieShoes, it's a whole new world of experiences!

I will be very careful with the exercises, I'd hate to make things worse. I find that my swelling gets worse throughout the day almost regardless of what I do, and it is back to where it started (minimal) each morning.

I'll keep a close eye on things, but thanks again! :)
 
Your swelling is better in the am because you’ve been in bed and your leg wasn’t down. At this point it’s most important to stay elevated because that’ll keep the swelling down.
 
Days 14-17 (Fri 9th to Mon 12th Feb)
This has been a fairly relaxed period.

I'm pleased to report that my cellulitis swelling and pain in my shin has gone and I am off the antibiotics. I have also come off co-codamol 8/500 and am now just on Paracetamol as and when required - for the last couple of days this has only been used as a precautionary measure for overnight aches. I still have a bit of trouble finding a comfortable leg resting position at night.

Swelling is down generally, and about half the time my knee looks much like it did pre-op (which was slightly swollen). The rest of my leg is normal size. I am still elevating a lot, but also spend a fair bit of time sitting in the chair with my leg down. I ice no more than 3 times a day for 20 minutes at a time using my cryo-cuff.

Doing my thrice daily exercise routine has improved the strength in my quads so I have extended the hold time slightly to 7 seconds per rep. Heel slides and those exercises have resulted in a ROM of around 105 flexion and 0 (or slightly better at times) extension.

In terms of mobility, I walk reasonably normally just a bit slower than usual. My knee feels a bit stiff, heavy and numb at times but is generally in good shape.
If only I could say something more positive about dealing with the boredom! :gaah:
 
Slow and steady, but you're getting there. :) Right now you are in the dog days of recovery: you're still in early recovery, so have pain and stiffness and all of that still to deal with, and you are starting to feel better enough that you can easily become bored. Tedium sets in. Every day is the same, it seems, and... well, it can erode one's positivity.

This is a good time to maybe visit someone nearby. Maybe a neighbor. Sit and elevate and have a snack or share a beverage for a little time. If you have someone to drive you and the weather is nice, take a short drive or run one short errand. Break up your day a bit. It helps a body get by.

Sounds to me like you're doing wonderfully!
 
I found getting out to visit a nearby friend or encourage someone to visit you. I visited a friend who handed over her recliner to me while we watched a movie.

The boredom is awful, but in another few weeks you’ll notice a difference and be able to do a bit more.
 
Hi Rob.
Seems as if your op went well. Mine will be on 26th Feb and like yourself I'm bricking it. But, I hope the pain keeps to a minimum as I'm not good controlling pain.
I shall continue to follow your progress. Take good care Denn.
 
Back
Top Bottom