TKR Week 20 update...all good and getting better

Im actually lucky, I have a really high pain threshold and took hyrdomorphone for 3 days then went on extra strength Tylenol for pain, Im just lucky, not brave lol!!!!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Way to go! Soon you will be home, which makes everything better! Good to be on this side isn't it? Keep positive thoughts, ride the waves as they come, but every day gets better!
 
I’m glad to hear you’re having a good experience in hospital. Did the co-cadamol help your pain today? 70is quite good for 3 days, so don’t push it too much otherwise you may push the wrong direction. When the swelling goes down you’ll notice it’ll be easier to bend.

Hi @KarriB, I’m home now and only had the one dose of co-codamol overnight. This morning I just had paracetamol and ibuprofen and that has been more than enough to deal with the few twinges I get from time to time. I can’t quite believe I am virtually pain free with the minimum of meds, and up and about but it’s working at the moment at least, and I am back to my old self without feeling all groggy from Oxy etc. My leg is still very swollen but I’m icing and elevating and there’s been a definite improvement since yesterday. So it seems I’m doing ok at the moment, and I hope it continues! I will be very careful, I wouldn’t want to ruin the metaphorical party I seem to have been invited to at the moment. :-)
 
Yes thanks @SusieShoes it all seems to be going well for now, but I’m not going to count my chickens just yet. I know this is a long recovery, I only have to look at the state of my leg to remind myself, and it is still very fragile when moving about, but solid as a rock for walking. I have been comparing it to the ACL surgery I had done 20 plus years ago, which was before they did it keyhole, and it seems similar to me in terms of my experience right now, but obviously this is significantly more invasive. Really glad to be off the Oxy, that wasn’t nice at all but it did help on day 2 I’m sure. So no overdoing it, as you say, my knee will guide me! I’ll keep updating, and hopefully they’ll continue to be positive :-)
 
@robhunt3 Sounds like you are doing famously. Take care of yourself and keep us informed. Love to hear about good recoveries (even if they have bumps in the road)
 
I’m home @amymj, and happy to be here too. I had nightmarish visions of where I might be now after my first night in hospital, which was truly the worst night of my life! But very quickly things have calmed and it is all good. So I’ve got my virtual surfboard out and will be riding the waves as they come. Only problem is, I’ve never had a surf ‍️ lesson in my life :-)
 
I’m glad to hear your pain is being managed. Keep on icing/elevating, it’s what I did I just about around the clock for the first few weeks.
 
Day 4 & 5 (29/30 Jan) - I had my x-ray and final physio session at the hospital (no issues, just confirming the exercises) and was discharged with a bag load of instructions and drugs (paracetamol, ibuprofen, aspirin, omeprazole and lactulose).

It was a 1 hour drive home and hooray, I was back home with my ‘babies’ (12 & 14 years) - who very quickly took the opportunity to take photos of me in my TED stockings and pronounce me the ‘the crip’ amongst other less than desirable names.

I then spent a while getting everything in place for me to be able to rest, ice (with cryocuff - lovely thing) and elevate (lounge doctor) and spent the rest of the evening doing that. Slept well overnight, and was able to sleep on my side both ways for the first time which was a real help.

Woke up at 6:45 with the kids to ready them (make sure they ready themselves) for school, shaved and showered and then moved to the sofa to begin a day of watching my backlog of box-sets, whilst intermittently exercising (80 flexion/0 extension), icing and elevating.

I have the odd zinger (nerve pain) now and then on the lateral side and also on the medial side of my shin, especially when I get up after I’ve been elevating for a while. A large square area of my shin feels a little like it is both numb and zinging all at once, but this goes completely and immediately once I put weight on the knee.

No problems at all until around 2pm today when I suddenly felt I’d had all of the energy sucked out of me - ended up sleeping for a couple of hours which seemed to do the trick at least, but that energy sap came right out of the blue.

Other than that, I’m struggling with the boredom a bit, although I’m sure I’ll get into a routine in good time and hopefully back to doing some work from home in a few weeks which will help.

I appreciate that none of these things are problems at all in the general TKR scheme of things, so I consider myself very lucky at this stage in proceedings.

My knee is less swollen than yesterday but still pretty big, I’m going to start measuring the circumferences of my calf, knee and quads daily to see how it progresses (or otherwise) and how that affects ROM.

I’m able to walk reasonably normally without any sticks now and with no pain at all, although I do tend to use one around the house, just in case - I still feel I am compensating a bit for how my knee was before the surgery, but I need to re-learn how it is with a solid knee, which is definitely what this is :-).
 
Glad you’re home and getting settled in. Sleeping on your side already is awesome! Yes, that energy drain comes on hard, all you can do is give in and close your eyes. You might want to set your phone or alarm for med times just in case you fall asleep before taking your meds. It’s awful to wake up after missing a dose and chasing that pain.
 
Hi Rob, while it is on my mind .. as I just completed massaging my incision site with Vit E 4 weeks post op....remember to ask your physical therapist/doctor about massaging your incision site with vitamin E after stitches or staples are removed .. my bandage and stitches were removed 13 days post op and I started massaging vitamin E on my scar 2x daily .. my incision looks better each day.
 
Thanks @KTO I will definitely do that. I have my clips out next week (will be 10 days at that point) so will ask about it. I expect I might have to let it settle a bit first before massage?

I think I saw your scar on the 'scars hall of fame' thread (or whatever it's called) and it looks like it has healed fantastically well up until now. I've only seen mine once, probably won't see it again until they remove the staples - hopefully nothing going on under the dressing - it feels fine at least.

How is everything else going? How's your pain? What meds are you on? I'm just about to post my daily update. I had a particularly rough night last night, overnight and this morning, but it's almost certainly my own fault - I really should know better.
:gaah:
 
Day 6 (Thu 31 Jan) - The day started off well enough, although I had increasing lower medial shin pain (as if I had been hit with a hammer square in that area) - I've had this pain since day 1, but I sort of assumed it was there as a result of the surgeon rough handling my lower leg during the procedure - why else would my lower shin, so far away from my knee be hurting like that (I'd liken it to a large thumb print sized area of continual painful pressure being applied)?

Anyway, it has gradually gotten worse. I also had general aches around the joint, but nothing compared to the shin.

On the plus side the zingers I have had just above the 'hammer area', same side, seemed to die down, and swelling is reducing - but the hammer spot has begun to fill their voids with a vengeance.

Then almost like something out of keystone cops, I made the mistake of missing a dose of paracetamol by 2 hours (I fell asleep) and then took 3 instead of two. I've no idea why. This had the effect of reducing my last available overnight dose of paracetamol to 1 tablet.

Suffice to say I had a rough night and didn't sleep much. The hammer kept hammering all night long and I tossed and turned incessantly! I ended up taking my first dose of paracetamol early at 4am, and that helped a bit but not enough to make this morning quite uncomfortable.

The appearance of the hammer has made the act of getting up to standing and starting to walk a little difficult, but once I'm going it's fine and it pretty much disappears. If I stop for more than 10 seconds it starts hammering, but only when I'm stood up. If I am sitting with my leg up, it generally disappears to a dull ache and isn't at all painful (pretty much where it was from day 1).

So I called my GP today and asked for something stronger in case I need it later. I'll find out later what I get, but expect I'll end up with co-codamol or Tramadol, both of which I'm not really a fan of. However, I will swear allegiance to anything to prevent a night like that again.

Hopefully getting my standard paracetamol/ibuprofen meds back on track will sort it. Nothing will be missed from this point onwards, I've set alarms! :yawn:
 
Last edited:
Sorry you got to experience the unpleasant world of missed pain-control doses. I think we all do that at some point, sleep through a dose, or skip one, and then suffer the consequences. I hope your GP gives you something stronger for those times when you need it. At six days from surgery, you will have some days where the pain ramps up.

Sounds like your recovery is going well!
 
You would have thought I would have learnt my lesson by now @SusieShoes, this is the second time, and it's not like I don't remember what it was like first time round - painful for a while! Thanks anyway, almost everything else is OK which is some consolation at least.
 
You might try setting the alarm on your phone with your med schedule just to ensure it doesn’t happen again. I was known for falling alseep in the middle of a conversation in the first few weeks of my recovery. It’s no fun to chase that pain.
 
I have set alarms for every time now thanks @KarriB. My phone will probably run out of battery at the critical point now :unsure:.
 
I think I may have cellulitis in the affected area of my mid shin, it’s a tennis ball sized patch of red painful swelling, unlike the rest of my leg which is still a bit puffy in places but not painful. I’m seeing the GP this morning to get his opinion. Question, maybe one for @Josephine, if I need them, are there any antibiotics I shouldn’t have with a TKR?
Thanks in anticipation.
 
Back
Top Bottom