TKR Week 20 update...all good and getting better

Thanks for the advice @SusieShoes and @KarriB, I took a slightly different option and went for a walk to my local shops yesterday, twice - about 2km in total I think. One trip would probably have been fine I think, but not twice.

Unfortunately (and a lesson I've now learnt @denn), it was obviously too much too soon at just under 3 weeks - last night my knee was very angry at me! :bignono:

Today I will go easy and rest :sleeep:
 
It is so hard not to overdo. We start to feel a little better and just want to get on with our lives. You are doing so well. And boredom has set in. I guess we should celebrate that feeling of boredom because it's another step toward full recovery. Try really hard to pace yourself. It will just be a few more weeks till you can do more. Meanwhile, try to stay home for the next couple of days and baby that knee. Maybe that will keep your knee from talking back to you.
 
Yep, one trip would have been fine. :yes: You’re on track even with when and how you decide to join the ODIC. This is the part of recovery where people get excited because they’re just starting to feel better. A little better. And the mind goes, “I’m over this!” (Minds... all or nothing.) Only the knee isn’t over it yet. The knee is just STARTING to feel a little better. So it gets subjected to too much and, well, unhappiness follows.

You have lots of company. Everyone who has ever had a knee replacement. I think we all fall into this trap.

Hope a couple days of resting, elevating and icing put your knee back in a happy place. :ice:
 
Days 18 - 20 (Tue 13th to Thu 15th Feb)
All was going pretty well until I overdid it on Wednesday by walking to the local shops and back twice - it's probably just short of 1km for each return journey. I also spent 30 minutes in a barber chair getting my hair cut with my leg dangling down (as I couldn't sit with it up on the foot rest), which was pretty uncomfortable. I really should know better.

Anyway...I paid the price with increased swelling, an uncomfortable broken sleep Wed and Thu night, general stiffness, and a regression in flexion from about 105 back to 90ish, perhaps slightly less. Extension remains the same at about 0. Pain returned for the first time too, although it has now abated back to the aches that I had previously.

I am back on paracetamol 2x500mg 4 times a day having been off it completely for the last few days (other than overnight). I have even contemplated a return to co-codamol. Not sure what to do with that, but I'll see how it goes.

Swelling seems to be about the same as a few days back, so mid-way between light and moderate I would say.

Today (Fri AM) it feels like I'll never get more than 90 ever again, such is the 'hard stop' feeling I have with the bend, but this can only be swelling and maybe a bit of muscle/ligament tightness, so I know in my own mind it will improve. I also know I shouldn't be too concerned with the extension/flexion numbers at this stage, but hey, it's me, I'm stupid and I can't stop myself - made worse by me knowing I had been doing so well.

I spent Thu icing and elevating and resting, with breaks to make lunch and dinner for the kids who are off school at the moment - this meant an hour and a half during the day/evening (or thereabouts) on my feet preparing stuff and cooking. Today I know I could have done without it, as it definitely hasn't helped.

Unfortunately my better half has little sympathy for anyone when it comes to anything to do with illness or injury, and as I have been pretty mobile she just assumes I am able to do anything. It's a sore point, physically for me and metaphorically for us, but I knew what to expect before surgery so just have to deal with it.

I think I am going to rest and elevate and ice today and ignore all the other exercises other than the static quads and ankle slides, which I will go easy with. I'll have a short walk around the house every hour so too.

I will also request a brain transplant to stop me doing silly things. :banghead:

Hopefully my action plan will have the desired effect and get me back on track.
 
@robhunt3, good morning. Ah, yes. I know some call it the ODIC but my name for it is the Bonehead Club. I'm a member. Maybe you just joined. I couldn't help but smile as I read your post. In some ways, our behavior is like a two year-old at the toy store screaming in the loudest possible voice. "I WANT IT AND I WANT IT NOW!!!" And the parent saying, "No, you have to wait till your birthday (Christmas, etc.)". "NO, I WANT IT NOW!" Parent: "Sorry. You just have to wait." Well, sometimes I don't want to wait. It doesn't matter what I know, I don't care. I don't want to wait. I want it now. Too bad for me. It won't be long till my birthday or whatever time a present comes but it will. Some of us have a harder time with the calendar than others. But you know, I don't think that's all bad. We are ready to get on with "life after bad knees". We just keep testing the waters to see if the calendar page has turned over. We'll pay the price for misbehaving but the big day is close. So don't beat yourself up. You are already back on track. Your present is in the mail.

Enjoy your day and welcome to the club.
 
You are only three weeks out from surgery, so your knee is going to be slower at bouncing back from any setbacks than either an original knee in good condition or a TKR that’s further along in its healing. Bouncing back quickly comes later. Right now, you need to be extra patient and give your knee a few days to a solid week or two depending on how much swelling you’ve earned. But it will settle down in its own good time. You and your knee are going to become great friends and learn to completely understand each other.

Brain transplants don’t work very well, I hear. Best not to wish for one. Would it help to know that our TKR surgeries also affect our brains? Just chalk it up to post-op brain fog.
 
I've been walking vicariously through you. It's what I've missed the most, just walking. Take it easy on yourself and you'll be back on the road in no time.
 
Well, as you've discovered it's a trial and error process (sometimes with lots of error! :heehee: ) @robhunt3 Though I bet it felt good to get your hair cut. Can the kids make their own lunches?
 
You haven't lost your sense of humor! Made me chuckle, thanks for sharing. The line of can/can't should/shouldn't is a moving line and a guessing game we usually figure out after the fact. Swelling is telling. I'm just on day 5 but my 2nd knee. The early part of recovery will influence the overall success so take it down a notch which is what your knee is telling you. You're equipped with some pretty state of the art hardware and your will is strong. There's no speeding up the healing process tho, fact. The first month is the toughest to navigate. You recognize when you've done too much and smart enough to adjust. That's mighty Bonesmart of you!
 
Week 4 - My own ROM-com(edy)...

I can't seem to change my thread title anymore, anyway, here's my report up to the 4 week point which falls today. Could one of the moderators change my thread title back to 'Rob's TKR Recovery Journey'? Thanks in anticipation.

This has been the most frustrating period so far for me. I've generally been OK but have had two physio sessions this week and been told my flexion isn't good enough at 3.5 to 4 weeks (compared to others). He even mentioned the potential of having to have an MUA, which of course I know is a possibility for anyone, but it's not like I'm not trying.

I estimate my flexion to be about 90 degrees at absolute best, and maybe less at times. My extension is still around zero, so pretty good. I changed my approach to the exercises I've been doing, by doing more bending and heel slides - every hour (which I generally do sitting on a chair rather than laying down as I get a better result), and to also do some gravity assisted bends with my leg up supported by a roller. I think doing more bending has helped a bit, but it's difficult to know for sure. I also sit for periods with my leg down to help with it being bent, rather than being up and straight a lot of the time, but most of the time it's elevated (I use a Lounge Doctor).

My knee is still on the lighter side of 'light to moderately swollen', less so in the morning as one would expect. I ice about 5 times a day for about 30 minutes.

The bend does seem to feel like it is being hindered by the swelling, the scar and perhaps the quads a bit and maybe even the hamstrings on either side of the underside of the knee (but I don't know how they would limit flexion). It also feels at times like it might just go a bit further of it's own accord. I remember that same feeling when I had my ACL done many years ago, and one day it did just go further, probably as a result of the reduction in swelling - I'm hoping this happens soon for my TKR too!

My preoperative flexion was only around 120 degrees because of a slight accident I had in November, and was probably a bit better before that. My pre-op extension was +20 (so I'm winning in the extension stakes at least!). Maybe the restricted pre-op ranges doesn't help? Also I spent the first 10 days after surgery slightly restricted because of a cellulitis infection. I know, it sounds like I'm making excuses now :).

On Wednesday and Friday this week the physio had a go at improving my bend, but it hasn't changed materially in my opinion. He did some concerted efforts at massage on the back of me knee and around the front (but not scar as some of this is still scabbed) and then some gradual bends to the furthest point, just where I could feel the onset of pain, and then held it there. I feel it helping a bit, but then today (Sat) it is stiffer than yesterday, probably as a result of the physio yesterday, but I can still get about the same ROM at least.

On Thursday I started back on the co-codamol (500/30 x2 x 4 times a day) to see if it would allow me to bend further, but I don't think it has made a huge difference, so I'll probably come back off that and revert to paracetamol as required. Most of the time I am reasonably pain free, other than at night when I get some aches, but even that seems a bit better in the last week.

So I'm getting a little concerned that in just under two weeks time (8th March) at the 6 week point I'll be seeing the consultant and may still only be at around 90 or even less. It doesn't seem to have changed much over the last two weeks. I may be expecting too much, or I may just be slacking, but either way it is a concern for me.

I'm beginning to think my early successes were me being over optimistic (or perhaps more medicated)! Any advice would be most welcome!
 
Last edited:
I understand your frustration. We all want to meet that magical number, whatever it may be, I’m not sure. I do know from experience that pushing in PT will only set you back. I’m a week ahead of you and my flex is around 100. When I had my left knee done last summer I was at 120 at 6 weeks. This knee isn’t going to be there when I go see my OS next week. I’m trying not to stress over it, easier said than done. Like you, I’ve started taking a little pain medicine during the day, hopefully that will hep you achieve relief and just maybe that will help with ROM.
 
I think most TKR recipients worry about ROM. It’s something that can be measured and humans are wired to want to do well, particularly so others will think well of our efforts.

I reviewed your thread and see you have not received your very own comment about how ROM progressed for a member who actually charted his for a full year. I think it will reassure you!

Here is Bertschb's record of his ROM over the full year of his recovery.

~~~~~~~~~

I'm 12 months out from my surgery and have some advice based on my experience:
1. Stop going to PT - all it will do is make your knee swell and reduce ROM
2. Don't worry about your ROM
3. Be patient - VERY patient!!!

Here is my ROM history (more or less):
1 month - 60 degrees
2 months - 80 degrees
3 months - 85 degrees
4 months - 90 degrees
5 months - 90 degrees
6 months - 110 degrees
7 months - 120 degrees
8 months - 125 degrees
9 months - 130 degrees
10 months - 135 degrees
11 months - 140 degrees
12 months - 140 degrees

I spent waaaaay too much time worrying about ROM. I thought I'd be riding my bike a couple months after surgery but it took SIX months!

Looking back on my surgery, if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have wasted my time with PT and I wouldn't have worried about ROM.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Your flexion will come around as you continue your resting, icing, elevating AND some gentle exercise.

Oh, and not being able to change your title is a bit of a glitch for some members. We know about it and are working on that. We’ll change your title for you!
 
Thank you so much for the info, support and reassurance @jboles and @SusieShoes.
Deep down I know it all makes perfect sense - and also that no two people or knees are the same.
I expect I just need to relax a little.
:bath:

Thanks too for offering to change my thread title @SusieShoes.
 
The reason we stress about ROM is because our surgeons and PTs all measure constantly. They don’t accept us as individuals or having individual recoveries. If we’re not at X number by Y date they can’t wait to do an MUA, for another fee, of course. They treat us like it’s our fault. If we get a cold, are we told we have to be recovered by a certain date? Is it our fault if we’re not? Of course not.

@Celle once said that she never worried about regaining her ROM because

everyone told her it would come in time. Wow!

I’m in the US and no one tells us that here. We are judged by our progress, not encouraged while going through one ofthe most difficult times of our life.

Try to relax, Rob, you’re very early in recovery. You still have lots of healing to do. You’ll get there.
 
Thanks @Jockette. You're absolutely right, it is early days and I need to heal.
I'll try working on it by not working on it, if you know what I mean :heehee:
 
Back
Top Bottom