TKR Week 20 update...all good and getting better

And here’s what it looks like :chinstroke:
[Bonesmart.org] Week 20 update...all good and getting better
 
Oh @robhunt3 please contact your doctor as soon as possible. Especially to rule out DVT. I don’t want to be alarmist, just concerned for you. That looks a lot like my leg did when I had my first DVT
 
I’m seeing the doc in half an hour @SherrieT, so I’ll see what he has to say. I wonder if it’s even possible to get a DVT on the front of your shin? It’s not a deep vein area I would have thought? I have no pain in my calf (on the opposite side of my leg to this) which is what I’d usually associate with a DVT. But hey, I know absolutely nothing about these things. Thank you for your concern, I will definitely mention it to the doc. I’ll let you know how it goes.
 
The doc seems to think it's cellulitis which she said it looks like, and can be excruciatingly painful. I've been prescribed 500mg Flucloxacillin 4 times a day for a week. She said it was unlikely to be a DVT given it's location over the shin and the fact I have no pain in the calf. I've marked the area to see if it gets any bigger and have started the course. Hopeful it will resolve quickly.
 
So glad and I’m sorry if I over reacted. I’ve has 2 DVTs so any red, swollen areas rings my inner alar
 
So glad and I’m sorry if I over reacted. I’ve has 2 DVTs so any red, swollen areas rings my inner alar

Absolutely no need to be sorry @SherrieT, I’m really thankful to you for mentioning it - I wouldn’t have thought of that. The doc was very thorough, as the first thing she did was check my calf and the area itself to determine if it may be a DVT - I didn’t even have to mention it. Thanks again :-)
 
That is a relief, Rob even though I'm sure the cellulitis isn't what you wanted to have either. Good for you for paying attention! Our knees are full of drama aren't they? Continue to rest and I hope you feel better soon!
 
Thanks @amymj, I'm not sure I paid much attention other than to the pain the Cellulitis has given me for the last day and half, which has been about as bad as it gets at times. I thought it was nerve pain up until this morning in fact.

You're absolutely right about our knees, it is just bad luck and somewhat ironic that I am day 7 post TKR and have had virtually no problems at all with my knee, and then I get this on my shin.

I am 'resting, icing and elevating for Great Britain' at the moment, and am pretty sure I could win an Olympic Gold at that right now - as boring as it is a lot of the time.

I hope all is well at your end.

:thankyou:
 
Day 7, 8 & 9 (Fri 1st, Sat 2nd & Sun 3rd Feb) - Friday's trip to my GP revealed that I had a cellulitis infection on my shin, which explained why there was so much pain in that area (that hammer I mentioned before). My new knee was actually fine.

Thinking back, the source of the infection was almost certainly a small nick/cut I got from one of the nurse's nails who helped me put on my TED stocking last Monday. The tiny cut sits right at the bottom of the reddened area of cellulitis on my shin, but it just shows how easy it is for bacteria to penetrate. The nurse apologised when she caught me with her nail, it was an accident of course - but I do wonder whether it would have turned to cellulitis if the cut had been cleaned with some sort of antiseptic and a plaster applied, or the nurse had worn gloves and not cut me at all? Who knows - c'est la vie I guess.

I am now on Flucloxacillin 500mg 4 times a day. Pain in the shin was pretty bad today, but it didn't stop me walking or exercising and I slept pretty well.

Saturday saw things improve slightly as the antibiotics began to take effect. The red patch of cellulitis didn't get any bigger than the border I had drawn around it with a marker pen, but it remained painful throughout the day. This was masked somewhat by the co-codamol (2 x 8/500mg 3 times during the day and 2 x 30/500 once overnight). Had another decent night's sleep.

Come tomorrow, Monday, I will need to see whether the pain is any better or the area of cellulitis is any worse - if so I may need to have IV antibiotics or eventually a longer course of antibiotics. Hopefully it won't come to that, as today (Sun) there is a definite improvement on my shin pain and no change to the size of the reddened area. I've also spent a while on my feet this morning, and continue to be very mobile and stable with no sticks required.

Now for some elevating and icing while I watch England beat Italy in the start of their Six Nations Rugby Championship campaign - at least that's what I'm hoping will happen.

I think there's something called a Super Bowl happening today too :heehee:.

For my American friends that don't already know, Rugby Union is a bit like American Football, but without the helmets and pads and huge sums of money. We pass the ball (which like yours is not really ball shaped at all) backwards while going forward in an effort to score a 'try' (where we have to actually touch the ball on the ground to score, and are not just trying), not forward going forwards in an effort to score a 'touchdown' (where you don't actually touch the ball down at all).
A lot of other differences of course, but both are fantastic sports. :cheers:

Have a fantastic Sunday everyone.
 
Last edited:
So glad to read your "new knee was actually fine"
Enjoy your "England beat Italy in the Rugby game" lets hope that is the only "England" win for today....
I am from Philadelphia area and rooting for the Eagle to beat New "England" Patriots in the Super Bowl.

Rest up and let the antibiotics due their job and let the healing continue.
 
My husband grew up in the Philadelphia area also and is thrilled the Eagles are in the Super Bowl!

Rob, I’m glad your knee is fine but so sorry you got an infection in another area, from what seems like such an innocent accident. Those stocking/socks are so hard to get on! When the nurse put mine on just before surgery she took the plastic package they came in and put that on my foot first, then still struggled to slide to stocking over it, then once the stocking was on, pulled the plastic package back out through the open toe. So we did it the same way at home. It did make it a bit easier!
 
So glad to read your "new knee was actually fine"
Enjoy your "England beat Italy in the Rugby game" lets hope that is the only "England" win for today....
I am from Philadelphia area and rooting for the Eagle to beat New "England" Patriots in the Super Bowl.

Rest up and let the antibiotics due their job and let the healing continue.

Duh ... not "due" their job. But do "DO"
 
Well England won convincingly against Italy, it was a great game in fact. We (England) play Wales next week, a much harder game on paper!

I've got a bit of time on my hands at the moment, so I might watch some of the Super Bowl tonight. I've never been to a game and don't really know the rules, but I have played rugby against Americans from several USAF bases here, a few of whom must have been 'footballers', which ended up a bit of a scary hybrid rugby/football game (followed by some fantastic hospitality!). I'll stay neutral though @KTO and @Jockette :-). Good luck to the Eagles!

The stockings are hard to get on, but a necessary 'evil'. Hopefully I'll only have to use them for a few more days as I'm very mobile now. Not sure how long you're meant to wear them for anyway???
 
I was allowed to stop wearing mine at less than 2 weeks. I did not miss them!
 
robhunt, you are way more gracious than I would be!! Cellulitis from a nail scratch? My goodness! Bless you! I hope you heal quickly!!!
 
@robhunt3 I sure hope you don’t have to go the IV route and that the pain takes a hike. I don’t know much about Rugby but I’m fascinated by Cricket .Good luck with your treatment
 
My knees swelled a lot with both my TKR’s and my legs are not small to begin with, so my OS said it was best to remove the compression stockings than have them cutting off circulation. I took them off the day after surgery. I made sure I was up every hour and did heel pumps frequently.
 
The sooner I can get rid of them the better @jboles and @Jockette. I did also wonder whether they would be counter productive for healing the cellulitis.

I played cricket at school @SherrieT, but wasn't much good and once saw a classmate get a fast ball straight in the eye (from one of the teachers) - ouch, enough to put me off!

I worked in NY for while and had a chance to see the Yankees play. That really was a great night out - similar to one day cricket in terms of atmosphere. I think I prefer to watch baseball.

Thanks @amymj, it is very frustrating, but she was only trying to help and I am thankful for that - plus it might just be something else that caused it!

Thanks for your kind thoughts/wishes everyone... :friends:
 
Thanks too @Josephine - I forgot to say hi for you to Dr Allen. I will do so on my follow up in a few weeks - I'm sure he'll remember you.
 
Back
Top Bottom