Bilateral TKR weak muscles<

hello friends..back from melbourne...had a refreshing trip...feeling better...but stairs are still a problem...slowly increasing my walking ..doing tredmill for 15 mins..muscles pain...but I am taking brufen....i have been taking painkillers for years now...earlier it was voveran sr...quite harmful...but couldnt walk unless I took it...

now i feel I am 98% better than before...quality of life has changed so much....i feel good look good...earlier what ever clothes I wore I was always bow legged and had a duck walk...:loll::wink:
 
Hi @pain free
I'm glad your trip to Melbourne went well.

Since it's not yet a year since your surgery, you will probably find that your ability with stairs will continue to improve.
 
thanks legin and celle....my ability with stairs will improve....thats a very encouraging remark...thanks so much.
 
I had my latest TKR about 3 weeks before yours and I am still working on stairs. I can do them, but I'm still slower than most and I still need to hold the hand rail. I can sense that I'm improving, slowly.
 
Oh I'm sure you are and soon you will think, hang on I just came down those stairs without thinking. Lucky being male I don't have to think a lot.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
painfree,
I agree, you are still less than a year out, you will keep getting better as time goes by. I know, my ROM just went up 5 degrees, I had plenty, but now have even more after a year+. And stairs keep getting easier.
 
oh thanks a lot...actually i am scared of stairs...i want these replacements to last for long...will stairs be bad....but its not so isnt it...as muscles get stronger stairs will be better....
 
Oh I recognise my gender failings believe me. I have always stood for equality to even at school. We all have our own nemesis in this recovery journey. Well done you for facing up to yours and beating it. When you reach the bottom just think that's one for me I do believe. I sure before too long it will be an oustanding series win.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
I'm afraid of falling down stairs, too. I think that's why I always use the hand rail - not to pull myself up, but as a precaution. Call it my security blanket, if you like!
I do find that stairs are easier at the beginning of the day. As I get tired, my stair climbing ability decreases.
 
:iagree: I still put my hand on the railing for balance but the day I realized I could go downstairs without needing to clutch the railing was a happy one indeed. Stairs really come somewhat naturally bit by bit as you do them. Unless you're going crazy with steps I don't see them harming the implant.
 
hello friends....thanks for your motivating comments....stairs ae still hard but i used to have more pain next day. that has reduced. what is your opinion about painkillers. i have been taking brufen daily...and was also taking pentab 40 so that brufen doesnt harm my stomach....but recently i read pentab 40 is bad..:unsure:
can anyone guide me....just paracetamol doesnt help much.
 
Hello friends, I am here after a long gap. Got new knees in Oct 2014. I can walk straight, earlier I was limping. But I have a lot of muscle pain. Have to take 400mg ibruprofen thrice a day. Otherwise I have restless legs. Will I have to take pain killers always. I am 61yrs old. weight in Oct was 79kg now it is 84 kg. I try to walk a lot for weight loss but get tired easily.
 
Hi @pain free
I remember you from your earlier postings about your recovery.
It's good to see you back, but not good to hear that you are still in pain and feeling as if your muscles are still weak.
I'm going to ask @Josephine to advise you.
 
Okay but in order to do that, I first need you to answer some questions.

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine)(also remember to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness)

2. what pain medications are you using, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. do you have any swelling - if so, how swollen are your legs compared to these?
[Bonesmart.org] weak muscles<


4. what is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

5. are you icing your knee at all? If so, how often and for how long?

6. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

7. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

8. are you doing any exercises? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

- how many times do you exercise each day
- enter each exercise by name then number of repetitions
 
1. pain levels? maybe 3...just soreness....

2. I take brufen 400 mg thrice a day sometimes twice.

3. my legs are huge....mostly fat and some swelling.

4. what is your ROM - its very good...don't know exact...

5. icing - not at all now...its been more than 2 yrs.

6. elevating - not much.

7. activity level - I take two walks daily 15 to 20 mins not very fast. no house work..shopping in malls maybe once a week...walking in school daily 10 mins.

8. exercises?
yes 5 times a week with a trainer.
leg raises horizontal
cycling
weights
crunches etc for 30 mins.

walks - twice and exercise= once.
 
maybe 3...just soreness....
okay but earlier you said " I have a lot of muscle pain". That does not equate with a pain score of 3. You want to rethink that?
I take brufen 400 mg thrice a day sometimes twice.
Ibuprofen is just an NSAID and not a very effective pain med. I suggest you try Tylenol 1,000mg 4 times a day for a period instead.
3. my legs are huge....mostly fat and some swelling.
Swelling is a form of and a manifestation of pain. You should take this into account when assessing your pain score.
4. what is your ROM - its very good...don't know exact...
Very good - okay
7. activity level - I take two walks daily 15 to 20 mins not very fast. No house work, shopping in malls maybe once a week, walking in school daily 10 mins.
What do you mean 'in school'? Is this your place of work?
8. exercises?
yes 5 times a week with a trainer.
leg raises horizontal
cycling
weights
crunches etc for 30 mins.
walks - twice and exercise= once.
For what reason are you doing exercises? You said your ROM is 'very good'.
And when you say 'a trainer' do you mean a PT?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom