THR We can re-build him...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

Haven't posted much recently .... too busy working on converting my barn/garage into a studio and walking the dog and going to the gym. Really concentrating on good gait and eliminating any Trendelenburg symptoms!!
My Gluteus Medius is getting a real hammering but it does seem to be working!!
I now am able to put my left sock on without any real fuss and my ROM is improving almost daily, I do get quite fatigued at times perhaps not surprisingly!!:DOH:
I just remembered the conversation I had with my Surgeon about dental work. In the UK it's not recommended that antibiotics are given to us hippes even when having invasive dental work whereas I believe that in the US it's pretty much standard practice....?
I asked him about this and he said the main reason they're not prescribed is a cost reason, one drawback of the NHS I'm afraid. He advised me that although any chance of serious infection resulting from dental work is very rare it's still a real risk. And said " you don't want to be a statistic... that one in how ever many thousands who's the unlucky one! ... SO GET ANTIBIOTICS BEFORE ANY INVASIVE DENTAL WORK!!"
Any newbie hippies please take note and read up about the risks online ....just google "infection resulting from dental work after Hip replacement" or similar!

All the best each and all,

Charlie
 
Must checking in. Sounds like you are doing great. Glad the glut med is coming along. Hell, if you ( who is so very active) still have some fatigue, guess I can chill on my thinking i get tired too quick. Yes, seems like standard here in the U.S. about antibiotics, and for you, better safe than sorry. Have a great weekend. -Cathy
 
Converting the barn Cuz... ?????

Do you still have FIL with you ???? are you planning a new home for him?

check out my new avatar - what do you think? It is Soooo Me !

hugsxx
 
Hi Cuz & Cathy,

Thanks for popping by!
The barn is evolving into a studio and mini gym upstairs as well as a repository for all our junk... so no room for guests ....unfortunately! Sandy how are you doing? I know you're going through it with the CKD and all but how is the hip, walking etc.?
The new avatar is splendid although it looks a little "new age":scratch:
Cathy I think it's going to takes much more time yet to get my(our) fitness back I really didn't do anything for about 4 months. Yesterday I did a workout
part of which was 10 minutes on the rowing machine which left me pretty much gone:sleep: Although I "look" like I've mostly recovered in terms of walking etc. I know inside I'm not anywhere near "normal" fitness but I know I'll get there by keeping positive (even on cold wet May bank holidays!!) and patience!!

CC
 
Hiya Charlie, your barn conversion sounds like it will be fantastic when it's finished, fancy having your own gym, that will be fab :thumb:

Not that I'm gloating or owt but we don't have rain today and the sun has actually peeped out from behind the clouds a couple of times. No rain for two days in a row, how lucky are we eh!

Keep up the good work, your accounts of rowing certainly don't tempt me to give it a whirl if you are knackered after only ten minutes I wouldn't last ten seconds!!!

Ann
 
Whew ! that's a relief Cuz... no extra room for visitors. I was starting to think you were heading towards starting a B&B... we were even thinking of visiting :)

I know exactly what you mean when you say that you are walking ok, but you still don't feel fit yet. I decided (along with the help from wise one SO) that it was going to take me one to two years to get full fitness back and even then it would be a different level than before.. I certainly feel like I have had to set my bar a little lower these days. Yes, I am walking, we are at the beach house on a weeks leave, well SO is busy, busy doing things.. but we went for THE MOST PERFECT beach walk this morning... sand between the toes

I will post a photo when we get back to civilisation.

Do be careful Charlie with your reno, no slips now or I will have to come over there and speak strongly to you (over a bottle of red of course) :)

hugs xx
 
Ohmigoodness

I can't stand this anymore. My bar is set so low I have to dig the dirt from under it. Yikes...if I hear someone say it takes time one more time I may just have a temper :gaah:tantrum. Problem is I can't kick my feet on the ground without getting a leg cramp. You're lucky!!!!

Take care :wink1:
 
Sorry Carol.. Won't say it again... I guess we all know it anyways......


it takes time and slow and steady wins the race..... hehe!

:hysterical: :hysterical:
 
Hi Sandy, Carol & Ann and everyone popping in!

Thanks for those messages, don't worry Cuz the renovation is largely finished and it's just the fiddly little bits which need doing now .... they'll take me at least as long as the main job!
I must tell you about my neighbour who had a new hip 19 days ago and is walking around using only one stick and covering about 2.5 miles a day!!
She's always been extremely fit and basically wore out her hip although she obviously had a weakness there! She even drove a couple of days ago!!
I knew she'd be ok but this is ridiculous!! (Don't you just hate her!!! :DOH::hysterical: )
For any nervous yet to be operated upon people reading this the message is BE AS FIT AS YOU CAN BE BEFORE YOUR OPERATION!!

CC
 
I am there with you on the feeling normal, Now at 4 months out I am just getting days here and there where I am feeling completely wonderfully normal.
Then the next day, things are crampy and weak again.

I annoy my wife no end on the good days as I tend to jump around and whoop continuously. :dancy:
 

I now am able to put my left sock on without any real fuss and my ROM is improving almost daily

Hi Charlie,

Well this is great news about the sock as well as the whole barn renovations project! Perhaps there will be a special area for the practicing of hula hooping??? Am still not up to speed there, even with the special foot placement suggestions -- but I'll keep trying...

Nice to hear about your neighbor, I had that experience as well -- with the exception of the person being "extremely fit" before hand, she was just a regular gal. I did find it reassuring when I saw her exhibit the same lurching walk that I had struggled with, knowing that it wasn't a problem related to my unique hip anatomy and CDH history, it was related to the surgery. Try not to compare though, you know better....

Take care,
Cardie
 
Hi all,
John it's a quandary isn't it? I love the image of you whooping your way around the house annoying your missus!:hysterical: But it is like that isn't it? I'm just hoping we have more good than not so good days in the future .... I'm sure one day they'll ALL be good!!
Cardie I want you to make Hula Hooping your life's goal!!!:loll: Come on we all need something to aim for!! I know you'll do it!
I know it's wrong but occasionally when my good friend and neighbour does walk less than perfectly it is somehow satisfying:scratch: I think the word is "schadenfreude". To make things worse her daughter is a top notch athlete and has just won a gold medal at the new London Olympic stadium ... we can't even get OUR 15 year old to change his T shirt!:hairpulling:

C'est la vie...

Charlie
 
Oh Charlie, some people have all the luck don't they....
 
Charlie, your 15 year old boy is absolutely normal, it's the neighbours daughter that is odd.lol. Least his hygene habits save on the washing:th_heehee:

Suddenly those teenage boys get to the stage when they think changing their tops three times a day is 'normal'....now that is annoying.

Hope the barn conversion is going well

Take care

Ann.x.
 
Yes you're right Ann, he's just going through he "geriatric" teenage phase ... he knows what he likes and likes what he knows especially food-wise and clothing. He makes up for being less than rigorous with his personal hygiene by using several cans of deodorant per week!!
The next stage sounds expensive!!
Oh the joys of teenagers!

Charlie x
 
I really appreciated this recent exchange on your thread. Sometimes when I read posts I am thinking wow, this woman is doing this and this guy is doing that and don't realize that they are still not doing what they want. I have the curse of always thinking I should be further along. Thanks to all, especially you Charlie. I think even just coming to your thread relaxes me because of that dog picture :) -cathy
 
Hi Cathy,

As Tom Jones would say "It's not unusual..." to think you should be further on than you are but the truth is that it's just human nature to do so. They'll always be posts from some folk that are doing "better" than we "think" we're doing ....great for them!!

Don't forget even they will have good and bad days ...just like us, it's the nature of the operation and recovery.

I'm going through one of "those" weeks presently, working hard ....perhaps too hard and sometimes getting fatigued and consequently irritable :hissyfit:

The thing is, I know I'm improving when I look back a month or even less to where I was but the rate of improvement flattens out as the recovery goes on.

Onwards and upwards .... if slowly :thumb:

Charlie
 
Hi Charlie,

You do need to find time in your busy schedule to have a little nap -- even if it's just a 20 minute shut-eye on the couch in the afternoon. Gotta make sure that the family remembers that you are still recovering from major surgery. No one likes a cranky guy (or gal)...

I have been realizing that one activity that does seems to work the g. medius is digging -- using the THR leg as the stance leg & the normal leg as the one to work the shovel. Perhaps you experienced this as well when you did your Laurel planting project a few months ago...

Hope you and Jasper are getting out and about some!! :doggieshmooze:
Take care,
Cardie
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom