Revision TKR Wberry knee is up<

@wberry -- I think it's too soon to be using the balance board. It is only a month since your surgery and your knee is still wounded. Can you leave that exercise for a while?
 
I agree, it's on my ouchy list for discussion with the PT, that and the dangle leg while bending the operative knee on the stair.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I got an ear infection, hurts, gonna have to get antibiotics, better call the OS also on Monday. This is so inconvenient, and I had stomach issues all last night, so I didn't sleep much and it wasn't my knees fault.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
New mantra:
Ice, Elevate, Eat Pizza.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
Yum yum
[Bonesmart.org] Wberry knee is up<



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
O Well guess I lost all my followers.

Well
If you happen to pop in, I have taken a few days off PT, my knee feels much better after a few days of rest and ice.

I cut the grass today. No walking, I sat on my grasshopper and road.
My son did all the raking, bagging, and lifting stuff. So glad he's young and strong.

I will Saran Wrap again tonight. If it works as well as last night I should have a no stiff knee in the morning.

I am still stretching and massaging the knee in the scar tissue areas. I need to pick up a tennis ball to get some deep work on it done.

The ladies will never guess what I put on my knee instead OS tea cloth. My wife laughed when she saw it.

Not sure what happen, but my ear stopped hurting. My NP wife is going to look at it with her scope. Maybe it was just allergies. I to my Napersen and it stopped hurting.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Glad you could make your old boss' retirement. That balance board is a bear. It should help, but....


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Glad to hear your ear is better, it sucks to be sick when you are recuperating, I know! Glad you had a good day and the pizza looks good.
Here's to a great nights sleep.


Brenda
 
I tried the plastic knee wrap last night, knee was stiffer this morning. Boo. I'll keep trying that weekly as it sure was a nice sauna treatment in there. I was surprised that it stayed put so well, was expecting it to be down at my ankle in an hour!

I had lovely Italian sausage spaghetti sauce on macaroni last night, not sure I am up to pepperoni pizza yet. Daughter the cook hates spaghetti so I never get it unless we eat out.

Glad your ear is better, sometimes pressure cannot get equalized properly and once it can then pain is gone.
 
Did you remember to put the heavy lotion all over first. When you take the wrap off the knee joint areas above and below should be soft and moist. I also iced for 30 min prior.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Mmmm, pizza! That really sounds good, we went out for lunch with friends today and the meal was mediocre at best. Might have to grab a pizza tomorrow.
 
Today was a non PT day, but I went in to do stretches and use the equipment.
[Bonesmart.org] Wberry knee is up<
so here is the entrance to the facility. I have approval to go on off PT days.
[Bonesmart.org] Wberry knee is up<

This is the recumbent seated push machine, you don't pedal, just push back and forth. When I put the seat way back it works my strait leg extension, when seat is up it works my bent leg flex.
[Bonesmart.org] Wberry knee is up<

This is the more bike like machine. Still not quite like pedaling, but closer in it's motion. I spend 10 min on each machine. Really loosens me up before my PT sessions.
[Bonesmart.org] Wberry knee is up<

Nice and strait,
[Bonesmart.org] Wberry knee is up<

Getting that good bend with the seat close, stop and hold while massaging the scar tissue.

And lastly that's my selfy in the mirror:
[Bonesmart.org] Wberry knee is up<
.
By the stretch and flex platforms. Gives you some idea of the facilities layout too.

My medical regiment has shifted to more anti inflammatory Naproxen Sodium, then 8 hour later two Asprin 500 mg each for 8 hours, nothing until bed time,then a tramadol and one extra strength Tylenol to boost. I am pain free except to the touch on a few areas if I press in hard. PT new exercises have been the only things to bring pain. We will have a discussion with PT on Monday.

My next challenges is to continue ROM increases, work on bends for descending stairs. The high lifts over the cones, kind of like high stepping. The seated stand up is really challenging my lower quads above the knees. I don't think I will ever get use to those.

Today is April 12 so I'm 34 days post op. ROM 111/1, cardio exercises for 20 minutes, PT 3-4 times a day on my own, formal PT at facility 3 times a week for an hour. When I first started PT I was in so much pain ROM sucked and everything hurt. PT mentioned they had another patient in a similar state a while ago, they had her use the first machine every day and everything turned around for them. A similar thing happen to me. A week after using the machine my ROM took off, exercises got easier, and I started moving quickly through all the PT regiments, where as before I was barely making it. I made it to balance board this week and even did the 1 min they wanted.

All in all I am happy with the progress, being on bone smart has been a major help to me. So much great advice, plenty of help and I feel comforted by everyone. So glad I got on here before my surgery. I will say the first two weeks almost killed me, but I had been warned it would be bad pain wise.

So folks keep on moving forward.
Up and at it, peace, forward thinking and looking, moving on with life.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Wberry i have same issue I see so tomorrow and will ask and let you know


20/01/2015
 
Fabulous report, WB! My med regimen is similar to yours: I take 400 mg Advil with 1000 mg Tylenol every 6 - 8 hours IF I need it. Yesterday I took it once and took nothing else all day but today we had to do some running around, so I took it 8 hours apart. If I'm not hurting at bedtime, I take nothing. If I wake up in pain, I take a Perc 5/325 and a 500 mg Tylenol, or I get up and walk off the pain.

Again, please make sure not to push PT. SLOOOOW and steady wins the race. Overall, sounds like you've got a pretty good regimen going!
 
@SeptemberZen Sounds good on your med regiment. But I always take my heaviest dose at bed time. I don't want to be woken up, except for SEX. Hope you are in the same groove by now, no what I mean. Yea, hit the over do it last week, canceled the Friday, we will have a talk Monday.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Cracked me up, WB, when you capitalized S-E-X. LOL!!

Let's just say... we're getting there....!

And I hear ya regarding the meds. My incision is soooo super-tender and I forgot to Saran wrap it. Well, it woke me up with a BANG, I mean it hurt so bad, I wanted to cry. :boohoo: Lesson learned! Take the pills, wrap the leg!
 
I think the only way to desensitize the scar is to pay XTRA attention to it and rub it all the time...the first couple of times it hurts like hell but it does work...I cut down on my meds this weekend because I didn't think I was hurting..which I wasn't, until all meds wore off and then there was some pain..so is the knee getting better or are the pain meds doing their job? I didn't take any before bed last night and woke up with a good headache about 1am and just said to my self that I will sleep the headache off...woke up at 4 and head and knee were still sore so I took a Norco...but did I really need it???? Am feeling very confused today....hope ya had a good weekend!
 
I will second the scar sensitivity. Mine hurt when I first started rubbing it. Now I kneed it like dough absent mindedly all the time. And it is only a little sensitive in one area at the bottom. The areas that are not have started to flatten out and the incision line is now smooth and flat.

On my meds, I have a big gap in the morning when I take nothing. I will take either Asprin or the anti inflammatory before I do PT. But I have been really light and kind of lax on meds. I haven't hit a time when the pain flares except at PT, and that's on them.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
To help my scar sensitivity, I rub or massage with lotion frequently, but lightly at first, then more deeply as it became less sensitive. In other words, I didn't attempt to power through pain and took more time to gently come to the same end.

I've read here that many people have morning stiffness in their knees (so do I). I have also read about the plastic wrap technique. Here's a question for you @wberry - after the scar sensitivity is gone, do you think a neoprene sleeve would help with the am stiff knees? It would provide a warm over night environment.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom