Revision TKR Wberry knee is up<

Helping your wife if great....good on you. Just be mindful of not overdoing it. We pay for it big time.
 
@vinny, @skigirl, @referee54,

I noticed today that no matter how hard I try my operative leg and knee turns out. I notice it the most on stairs where it is easier to almost turn my foot out sideways than to go strait when using stairs. Also the knee tries to turn out and feels bound when I turn it in more less strait. Do I have an alignment problem appearing. How do I know? I know the model knee I got was not the floating one. Should I ask my OS now about this. If it turns out something is off, does it mean I'm in for a revision, this is scary.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

I dont know anything about this, but it sounds to me like something you should mention to your OS.
 
did you walk like this before the surgery? Mine does the same thing and it is my hip...the hip tends to compensate when the knee isn't working right...I thought I was walking great and doing stairs OK and then they showed me in a mirror and I wasn't bending my knee very much but using my hip to move the leg...This might be the issue with you as well, not necessarily the alignment of the knee..hope that makes sense!
 
@Blendab1 Today was better than yesterday thank goodness. I felt quite defeated in PT yesterday but my hamstring & quads did not want to move. I am trying to spend more time in the CPM machine & it seems to help. Interesting that we both have the same cold sweat thing going on. My son is out getting a thermometer for me. I guess I should check to see if i have a slight fever. I also am cutting back on pain med. & maybe that plays a part in it. I dont know about you but the mornings depress me because the stiffness is the worst in the a.m. So this morning i decided to get into the CPM before i got out of bed. That helped. How is the swelling going with you? Mine went down alot but there is still some. All in all I am doing well. I go to doc on 4/23. The one thing i would like to do different for when i do the other knee is to arrange to have someone come to my house to do cleaning. Bringing me a cup of tea & biscotti would be nice too! Don't get me wrong...I make my own tea & meals but it would be a nice treat if it were done for me once in a while. Well, one day at a time. I'm gonna get hooked up in the CPM. Hope you have a good night.
 
Actually I did not walk turned out before the surgery. I did wear the OA brace for 8 months prior to surgery. I have been focusing on keeping it turned back in as I walk.

The stick I just carry now. Hardly ever use it.

Sleeping all night now and regular activity in the bathroom. Able to step into my tub shower now also.

PT report for today is great. Everything is easy, last leg bend flat with leg over the tube finally woke up. New numbers to report: 2/107
Yes!!!! Should pass -110 this weekend and get to 0. Doing several flights of stairs a day now. Going to recumbent bike also. Pain levels are great on just aspirin.





Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Great report. Just remember not to over do it☺

Maggie via Tapatalk
 
Today is going to be fun. Going to do my short walk around a block or two. Then going to go around town with the wife. Going to buy some more bags of my favorite item, ice. I have been even more religious with icing recommendations and elevation. My thanks to @referee54 for his post on that.

I will be gradually working back into office work. Been doing a lot of work at home. Starting half days second week out. We will see from there. I have a desk job, so I just need something to put my leg up and we have a commercial ice machine at work. My PT switches to nearer my job that week also.

I got the lawn tractor out and putted around the yard to see how it looks. I have a grasshopper so I mount it in a chair position above the out front deck. It kind of favors folks with knee issues.

Stairs are no longer an issue, so my son will be taking the ramp apart and storing it.

Pain levels have been great. At PT I am pretty much pain free until they start the heavy ROM stretches. Usually I come home and ice and elevate and I'm good.

On the recumbent bike today, feels good to have that motion back.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Since you're going to be spending time in town with your wife, why not skip going for the walk? In terms of recovery, you are still very early and doing both could be overdoing it.

As for work, we usually recommend 12 weeks off and then a phased return to work. Be prepared for tiredness and more swelling if you go back too soon.
 
Only half days work, and most of it is sitting with my knee up. Already doing half days from home. I would just have the very little walking in from the handicap parking spot in front of the building.

Yes wife already commented on the walk so, I just ride around with her instead.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
You're being sensible. Good!

At work, it pays to get up and walk around a little every hour or so. That helps to prevent stiffness.
 
I have noticed that the increase ROM comes with an additional issue. Now the joint is free to let me know it's actually stop limits and it does so with a sharp notice. Okay we won't do that again. Leaving me to focus on my gate. Man this is harder than I thought to work on.

I still have two knee actions that haven't woken up fully, so I have to wait on those.

Today is a rest day anyhow, lots of rest, ice and elevate.

Tomorrow is Easter and I want to make both Church and the Luncheon afterwards. So I am resting up for a long day.

Hope all you have a wonderful Easter


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Today was not to bad. Slept well, woke up with a tight swollen knee, iced and elevated then loosened it up. My swelling usually increases at night and decreases during the day. Go figure. Not much change on ROM over weekend only 1 degree, 105/2. Well I did rest and just ice and elevate and minor stretching. My body wanted to sleep a lot, so I complied. Just got back from PT, now I'm on a new machine, cross between a recumbent bike and a glide walker. Not quite a peddle, but a push and slight circular motion. I got all the way around the first try.

Hippy, the front lift with the leg bent finally woke up, I can move it now. That was the last hold out on bends. Only thing left is the the lock
My leg and push my ankle up 2 inches. That one is still not there and probably won't be until I get to 0.

Lots more stretching and massaging going on now. Quads are getting a workout, seems like areas around knee joint are starting to get a work out. Walk is improved, heal still rolls a little, have to work on keeping it down.

I go see the OS on Monday next week. Have to ask him about my alignment and the clicking. Bruises have all faded.

That's it for 4 weeks out


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Have to go to a retirement for the person who originally hired me 18 years ago. Just can't miss this one. Might stop by my office to get some paperwork I need for medical claims. Gonna walk in, shake her hand and find a chair for 15 min then bolt. Might eat a price of cake. Then I need to work on income taxes, didn't find any place on the form to check " I had a TKR, so I can file after recovery". So I might as well get it over with.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
O my, that was a stretch, I drove the 20 min and I was tired, good thing I had my trusty knee pillow. Made it to the event, the bolt plan failed, somehow I go stuck on the couch behind the podium while everyone said there thing. Would have been rude to hobble up and out in front of everyone. Stuck for 45 min. But my old boss was glad I came. I slept while the wife drove home.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
PT report:

O my o my, I just got an entire new series of exercises. And that terrible balance board from hell. I made it 1 minute on the forward and back position balance. Side to side, forget it. I think my legs are now different lengths or something. I now have a new hated exercise. They make you stand on a stair and dangle the non-op leg and bent down with the op knee. The quads are really mad.

New measurements: 111/1


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Is the balance board supposed to help with walking on uneven surfaces? Just curious about the practical applications for the exercises we're given. I haven't done anything with it yet.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Good question, I see more advanced patience during a single ball on a board the balance on there operative leg only. The goal is 1 minute on the board. I assume it's fine muscular control of the knee joints as well as the quads, Thad my guess.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom