Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Wberry knee is up<

Yea, great side effect. Someone told me there spouse lost 30 pounds.

The flowers and a chocolate Easter bunny did the trick. I got a big kiss, hug and what can I do for you.

Went to PT center for my off session time on the push unit. I spent a lot of time on the hyper extend for max knee lock out for half then slide in close to get my best knee bend. Getting more ROM is key to me getting a better nights sleep. It is taking the catch out of my stride when I walk also.

Presently back home for ice and elevation and rest. Now that I'm off the blood thinner and can do aspirin, I have added it to my pain med cycle. Does anyone know if taking anti inflammatory drugs will also help the swelling to go down?




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I do believe that anti-inflammatory's do help with the swelling, that is what they are for, to lessen the inflammation...Sounds like you are doing well! Good job with the flowers and chocolate, those are 2 ways to a woman's stomach , oh and heart..lol..I tell my husband everyday how much I appreciate him doing all that he has done for me..I couldn't even get him an anniversary present or card because I couldn't drive..but he said he understands, I am thankful for that...I am glad we have special people in our lives to help with our recovery! And I an VERY envious of your ROM..mine is only 73 today and I am 5 weeks out...oh well, I am still working slowly and steady, I am a TRUE TORTOISE!
 
Ho @wbetry dropping the pounds is a great side effect of TKRs. Hope you can modify your diet and keep it off long term. Maggie x
 
Once you drop the pounds, and then you fully recover, it is even easier to become more active and either lose some more or keep the weight off.

Pain-free is the way to be---and tht helps you with your physical psychological, and emotional well-being.
 
Woopy!

Day 18 post surgery.

I'm at 99 and 7.2 ROM
The hang my leg over the edge no longer hurts, it just stretches.
PT caught me making it halfway around the room to stations without my walker. She frowned and went and got my walker, then said stop leaning on it at all and we will see.
Darn if I can just get that little hitch out.

Intermittent sleepless nights. The knee just gets locked up or something and I am toast until I
Move it or ice it. Either way I loose sleep. I do better doing the day within naps. Wondering if those lock ups and pain periods signal when the pain med wears off. I been relying on my schedule.

Also, wondering if some popping in
The operative knee joint is normal. When I move it sided to side it kind of pops or jiggles. Is this a sign of to much looseness in the joint or normal?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
If there is no sharp pain with the clicking/jiggling sensation then it is probably just part of the soft tissues healing around the joint. I had something similar which went away as it healed. Do you see your OS at 6 weeks?
 
@referee54, @vinny, @kneeper,

I am worried, I have a lattice work of Snyder like veins or blood vessels appearing on the inner side of my knee below the skin. Is this normal. The outer side is numb to the touch, but no blood vessels below the skin there.

Yes I saw him at 2 for staple removal and at 6 was the next visit.



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am in heaven!

My bed wedge for my legs arrived today. Love the way it inflates on its own when you cut the bag open. Got to love vacuum packing. It is just the right height at 8-9 inches. And the perfect angle up to a flat upper area. Works great in my recliner also, and I don't have to brace my leg on both sides to keep it from flopping over. My knee definitely loves it, I feel something like a deflation re longer I use it. Maybe I finally have the elevation I need. I am so much looking forward to tonight in hopes I will get some rest using it.

Wish me luck.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hey @wberry...I hope your wedge takes you to the land of nod and sweet dreams. Maggie x

Maggie via Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@wberry I got my wedge in on Thursday and it's awesome! I find it so much easier to sleep as I can elevate both my legs at the same time. I usually stay in that position until the alarm goes off for my meds and then I sleep on my side which is heaven!!

I have to have been having popping in the knee and it feels awesome when it happens, I was told its just the ligaments and tendons getting in shape.

Congrats on your great numbers, I am currently stuck at 95 but at least I have not backpedaled so I consider that a victory.

Have a great weekend.
 
Well the wedge worked for a little while. I still woke up at 3:00 am, knee stiff and swollen and hurting.
What is the problem. It never feels like this during the day. And I am on lighter pain meds during the day. The Percocet I take at bed time should have masked the pain. The only thing I know that is different between day and night are:

1. I stopped wearing the hoses at night per my doctor.
2. I'm on Percocet instead of aspirin or aleeve or Tylenol or Tamorol.
3. I am sleeping on my side with a pillow to the under or upper side of my knee to cushion. Or to keep my knees from bumping.
But I use the same position during my daytime naps with no issues.
4. I am less active for a longer period at night.

@vinny you mentioned your sleep issues, did you find anything that helped? @referee54, how did you finally resolve your sleep issues?

One thing is for sure, I am taking today completely off. No PT at all. Just rest, elevation and ice. How much PT routines per day are to much, in the mantra post it recommended 2-3 times a day. It's so hard to gauge my knee, it is making improvements, but I don't want exhaustion also. I ran across a comment about icing the back of the knee, I haven't been doing that, so I will start rotating the ice pack around my knee front and back.




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@wberry my sleep issues were early on and what I did was the pillow between the knees worked great for me when my knees clanged together....noise and clunking is normal and need not worry unless the clunking is painful...I clunk in the morning both knees...why would your PT give you the walker if you were steady and walking ok...

Vinny
 
Well I have been on the walker since the TKR. I guess I lean on it just a little bit. But I think they are planning to go to the cane next week.

I have tried the pillow between my legs, and the knee still stiffens and swells at night.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @wberry I used a pillow and its fine for a time then I wake up cause knee is stiff and sore....time to change sides and repeat...this is my night. Maggie x
 
Wberry, I'd think the most likely reason for stiff knees is the lack of movement. That certainly does it for me. Stiffness and swelling is pretty much par for the course. It does get better, although much slower than any of us would like it to.
 
Are you icing and elevating regularly? You will have swelling for a month or more.....but it gets much better....

Vinny
 
Well I move it enough, stretching, moving around the house and my PT at home. I have been icing and elevating. I think
I will put it on a regular schedule instead of when I think I need it. Maybe 20 minutes of ice for every hour. I better check the bone smart mantra for the recommended frequency. Okay that's to much I have been hitting it at least 4 times a day for around 20 min. Extra at night when the knee wakes me up.

Hmmm, I only have 3 percocets and 3 Tamorol left. Time to call my ortho and ask for another prescription. The original I got after surgery had no refills. Any idea what I should ask for or how much?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I just called my OS for my refill and I was given another 60 tabs so I will be good for about three weeks and pray I won't need them that long.

Do you use your wedge pillow in bed? I but both my legs on it and generally fall asleep until my meds alarm goes off, then I switch to sleeping on my sides for the rest of the night. Last night was not a good night so I'm praying today is better. I think all the times walking and letting Fenway out today will assist in a good nights sleep.

Praying you are snoring by now :)


Brenda aka Bionic B
 
Yes I tried the wedge last night. I only lasted an hour or so on it before I needed to go to my side. Two hours later I was up with my knee stiff and hurting, even though I used the pillows between my legs. I'm gonna try some stretching before bed tonight. I will call on Monday on my refills. Not sure what he will do on the Percocet, pretty sure I'll get the tamorols. I plan to tell him the percocets work best when I hit the wall late at night. Maybe that's my problem, I have only been taking one Percocet at night instead of two.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom