Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Wberry knee is up<

Question about knee scar. I had a nice neat narrow scar thanks to an excellent surgeon. Well the top three inches of the scar has started expanding. It is healed and does not hurt, but it is stretching wider in the top three inches area. So I have a nice scare everywhere but there now. Any idea what is going on?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm very glad you weren't injured by the tree. I love generators!! They are truly a life saver. I hope you have a good night and get your power back soon
 
I presume this means the tree did no serious damage to your home? If so, sounds like you've done the best you can until repairs are made to the power lines.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
@wberry - sorry to hear about the tree and the power. Hope your house is OK! We lost power about a week and a half ago for just over 24 hours.. Generators are GOOD! :D As for your scar? The top 2- 2.5 inches of mine are wider than the rest - but always has been. I just assumed that was because it is exposed to much more stretching than the rest of the scar. YUP.. Not pretty, but I haven't worried about it because I'm not going to be in any beauty pageants any time soon. :heehee: And I am guessing it will become less pronounced at time goes on as well. I assumed that was normal.. Is it not?
 
Oh my! Hoping there's no damage to your roof, especially with all the rain.
Roof seems to be fine, until the ice melts and the tree that is just laying there due to ice lifts up, I won't know for sure.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
So sorry to hear about the power outage - but glad it was the electric system and not your knee :heehee:
We have become so dependent on our comforts and devices: my electricity was off abruptly during the night recently, and I realized I couldn't even call the power company to report the outage because I couldn't look up their number because my internet connection was out also:rotfl:. Have since written it down in hard copy! Hope the power returns soon and that your generator is well-ventilated. So many tragedies around here every winter from that.
 
I have been carrying my cane around, but hardly use it now. I notice I have a slight limp, so I started making myself walk heel to toe. Limp goes away when I do that. My main complaint is stiff knees when sitting beyond 20 minutes with the knee bent. It is like trying to get rusty hinges going again some times. Maybe I need flex the knee before I get up. Once I get moving it improves. Is that a circulation thing or lack of movement thing?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My knees are 4+ years and 14 months old. They both still get stiff after I've been sitting for a while. However, they loosen up after walking a step or two. I've often wondered if it's lack of lubrication while i'm sitting still.
My knees, back and shoulders are all stiff when I first get up in the morning. Guess I'm getting old!
 
Yes.. I have the stiffness too.. Wondering if it will EVER go away. I've talked with others (older than I) who have had knee replacements who don't experience it.. I'm cautiously optimistic.. ?? :yes:
 
Moving around juices the joints, helps get you going in the morning, and other times of day.
 
Today is a milestone. This is 3 months post op. The same point when my original TKR started showing signs of the problems that lead to the need for revision. I am happy to report, that things are better this time. Actually I am further along than I was last time. Still a little pain behind patella on stairs, but it has gotten significantly less.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Best recommendation I can make is for everyone to be patient with your body. Time and persistence in proper balance. Don't push any more than you should, rest when you should. This is a process that takes many months and even a year and beyond. You can do it, don't get discouraged.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Best recommendation I can make is for everyone to be patient with your body. Time and persistence in proper balance. Don't push any more than you should, rest when you should. This is a process that takes many months and even a year and beyond. You can do it, don't get discouraged.
Words of wisdom indeed!

Thank you for posting them. :flwrysmile: :)
 
Today was a full day with no cane and no pain med. I did better than I thought I would. I did not push myself, just did the minimum to do what I needed at work. I will ice and take a med tonight. Having my head more clear at work without the med helps. I had aspirin as a back up, but didn't need it. I did two flights of stairs up and down. Took my time so I could feel what the muscles needed. By the second flight they had reached their limit, so I stopped. Still some minor discomfort in the patella area, but much less than a few weeks ago. I plan to continue to limit myself with only gradual changes or activity increases. I did another event on Friday and did much better. Slow and steady, taking my time, not pushing till it hurts, just until it feels a little tired. The supper sharp pain I had before the revision has been replaced with only a minor push, so the patella is ridding better and no binding of the patella as before.

I have been doing heal to toe to work on my gate and get this little limp under control. I think there is a slight height difference, but not so great it is not manageable. When I just walk the limp is less. As my PT said I need to build up strength in the knee to help with a lot of this.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
More ice, more ice, must have more ice!!
I have upped my icing and elevation frequency and length. Why?
Because I am seeing really positive results in healing over the last couple of weeks.
Even thought I am 3 months out, it is still needed. because I am moving to a phase of strength building while the more progressive healing continues. The ice and elevation both helps with inflammation, but helps the muscles that are trying to build up, while continuing to help the healing tissue. So I am doing at least an hour twice a day now. Especially after PT and before bed time. The knee feel great in the mornings now and it seems to be improving when I look back. So I encourage folks to not only be patient, but keep up the ice and elevation even this far out.
 
I had kind of stopped icing... but your post makes a lot of sense. I agree with your slow and steady approach, and plan to be back in the gym after the new year begins. Will drag my cryocuff back to the table by my recliner. Besides, one doesn't look nearly so lazy when they are icing!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom