Revision TKR Wberry knee is up<

Did some walking today. Knee actually felt pretty good. Sometimes I think I am walking on a stilt, the new knee feels more solid than the non-op knee sometimes. Except for the occasional irritation due to ROM, things are improving nicely.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I noticed that too--the new knee was so stable if felt odd at first.
 
@kneeper, how long before that subsided?

So I went back to work this week. Wasn't as bad as last time after my TKR. I tried to move around every 30 min so my knee wouldn't get stuff. Found a nice tall table to sit on and dangle my legs. Did the leg swing forward and back to help my knee flex. I think I have managed to walk about half a mile at lunch. I am actually taking several steps before putting the can on the ground. Knee makes a quit clicking sound as the parts meet and move over each other. Thankfully, nothing painful, and it's more an internal feeling rather than something you can here.
I will be so glad when 0 extension comes easy. I have to push for it in PT. Straightening my leg is easier with that greater ROM. I notice in PT when I do the leg dangle on my stomach for time, if I flip over and try to do knee bend slides, it's kind of hard until I loosen up from the stretch the leg dangle puts me through. Still taking it easy on the stair exercise until the knee heals more. At least the pain is on the side where the lateral release was done more than under the knee cap.
I am icing and elevating still. Swelling has dropped by about 4 CM. getting there slow and easy.
Because this revision is a lot tighter than my original TKR, I have to work with a little more stiffness, hopefully with time, this will decrease as my knee ligaments and tendons adjust.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@wberry. Good report. That walking great. The stomach to slides is hard. That's what I did. But I had to do the stomach last. Like killed me.

Check out 2 recent Video and tell me if you can relate.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

PKR~Dec 2014
TKREV~March 2015
 
@wberry glad your doing well!
I have the clicking too and was told as long as no pain then it is fine. Metal on plastic!
Sometimes I hear it and sometimes I don't
When walking I also feel better with my tkr than the non tkr knee. And it also on steps has the same feeling
Keep up the good work
 
I think it was just a gradual process where it felt more normal to have a solid knee. I had quite an unstable knee going into the rtkr.
 
Today was my final eval from PT before I see my OS. They will have a good report for him. 0-123 ROM. Walking with limited cane use. Still feeling affects of the lateral release and swelling on that side, but overall. A goo reduction in swelling. I even did a full flight of stairs up and down the regular way.

Not sure how long it will take the lateral release and trimmed patella to fully heal, anyone else had that done who can tell me.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My entire patella was toast, so I can't help you out on that question. But I'm very glad you're doing so well overall. Next time you see that OS give him a big, fat kiss from your Californian Bonesmartie friend. And, @Kansas Teacher, you were a great support and help to @wberry, so I'm blowing you a thank you kiss as well.
 
@SarahJane, any advice or recommendations you might have are appreciated. I'm sure you know, but the OS removed bone off the patella, mostly the back, but also the sides. He also did a lateral release and some realignment. What drove all this was my anatomy of a adnormal out turned patella. After knee replacement it started to physically come in contact with the prospective across the back of the patella. In addition I had significant looseness in the entire joint. So I got a spacer upsize from 11 to 18. I am healing well and ROM is great, but patella is still sore to the touch on the side of the release. Site and stands are irritating and stairs are irritating also because they haven't healed up completely. I just wonder how long and what I should do and not do to encourage healing.

and yes @Kansas Teacher is great.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
They didn't keep my patella. I have a plastic one. You might try searching for "patella" or "trimmed patella" in the Bonesmart search function, or tagging one of the moderators or advisers who's had a lot of experience in knee issues. Josephine? Skigirl? Celle? Pumpk1n? They've all had knee surgery themselves.
 
wberry,
I did not have my patella trimmed. I would think your shaved patella would take 6 - 8 weeks for the bone to heal over, and then longer to complete healing.
A good question for your OS at your next check up.
 
@wberry It's only just over a month since you had the surgery - very early days. Just keep doing everything gently and not stressing your knee.
I know it wasn't as major as a full knee replacement, but you did still have soft tissues cut and pulled aside and some work done on the patella bone.

All that is going to take just as long to heal as any other soft tissue and bone injury.
Your knee will heal itself if you treat it right, so I'm afraid you are just going to have to be patient and gentle with your knee. Remember that you can't speed up healing, but you could slow it down with excessive exercise. Slow and steady is going to win this race.

@SarahJane - they don't usually remove the entire patella, because it's attached to some pretty large tendons. It would be a real major if they removed it, and no guarantee that the tendons would reattach successfully.
What they do is shave off the back (underside) of the patella and then attach that plastic button, which replaces the damaged cartilage you had there. So, in the end you have one layer of bone and one of plastic.
 
OS visit report:
So the OS echoed the need for more time for the work he did on the patella to heal. He said it takes 6-8 weeks for that to subside some and more with time. He said X-rays show patella is now tracking in the center. That spacer is a lot bigger on the X-ray. But he said the knee is now good and firm like it should be. Only disappointment was he said with my ROM I won't need more PT after this 6 weeks expires. He said you are walking so well, pain levels are great, alignment is dead on. Your recovery is well beyond what I expected. So I will continue to wait on more healing over time. Guess I will just do my PT on my own, I do that on off days anyway. Swelling still marginal, but expected with the amount of tissue he worked on around the patella. He gave me the option to see him in 3 months or cancel and come back in a year.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
What a great report! We got back from our trip about 3:30 this afternoon so unfortunately missed you when you were in town. But it sounds great to me.

Roxie
 
All, yes I am very happy also. And I know I couldn't have made it this far this fast without the support, encouragement and advice of this fantastic Bone Start group. And of course a great brownie kick of from @Kansas Teacher. At 5 weeks I didn't get this good of a report the first time through. And the knee scar is a thinner line instead of a wide swollen worm that I had before, he was happy with the way his removal of the excess scar tissue from the previous and the new closing turned out. I plan to avoid anything that might agaric are the patella work for a bit more. Gonna keep working on quads and general strengthening and ROM. I'm up to a mile spread out through the day walking.

We are not totally out of the woods yet, but moving along in the right direction for sure this time.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom