Revision TKR Wberry knee is up<

the changes lasted for a week or two
What changes? :scratch: We haven't had an update since March 25th!
I am trying the sliding in a chair on wheels to strengthen the calf muscles and tendons up more. Anyone else had this issue and can recommend a solution.
I don't think that's a good way to go. You just need to do Hamstring stretches

I have had this a lot and, as I said previously, my solution, beyond the stretches, was chiropractic treatment. I really do think you should try it.
 
Hmm, I think the hamstring stretch I can do, i have been, but I need a better angle board to use.
The knee cap has never changed, it is still there. just sitting here its fine. When I try to climb a stair there is a knuckle size strong pressure right under the knee cap, that hurts as a i push harder sometimes. So I just try to push through it.
 
No one at work or at church that is as far along or futher me has this issue at all with the knee cap pain. Should I contact my surgeon and tell him nothing has changed with that issue?
 
Sorry to hear you're still dealing with this.
 
You can never go wrong by contacting your OS if you are still having problems. He would be the best to answer you.
 
The hamstring area, feels like a lump is back there, feels way different than the other knee. Any ideas?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
wberry,
Sorry your revision has not turned out as well as you had hoped. Suggesting you find yet another 2nd opinion about your continuing kneecap pain, you may have to travel a bit further. Someone should be able to give you an answer as to why this is occurring.

Maybe the lump in the back of your knee is this:
Baker's cysts and other knee bursae

General information about painful TKR's
Pain After Knee Replacement JBJS
Patella Baja or dropped patella

Some stretches for your hamstrings, Hamstring stretches

You might want to go back and give current answers to Josephines questions in post #1135.
 
This is all so frustrating. I was going along fine until this issue behind the knee started up.

The issue with the knee cap was there in lesser degrees, but has not improved. It was there when I saw the surgeon and he felt time would work it out. I just don't know how much time it is supposed to take.
 
I had a Baker's Cyst in one of my knees, but after my BTKR, the knees became much more stable, and the Baker's Cyst has not appeared.

Icing behind the knee and doing hamstring stretches did help with the Baker's Cyst. I hope you get to the bottom of this!
 
Yes, icing behind and stretching the hamstring has been the only way to get relief from that. Will continue doing so for the foreseeable future. I have also recently noticed, that if i do more extensive icing of the knee, ie increase time to 30-50 min twice a day, the pain when i step behind the knee cap is not as intense. It is still there, but the supper sharp, feels like my knee cap is Gonna crack in half pain is less.
 
@wberry - checking in and so sorry to hear you are having issues with your revision.. I would contact my OS AND get a second opinion.. Hopefully you'll get to the point where you don't have to deal with pain issues every day.. Hang in there!
 
@wberry, I don't get on very often anymore since I had my one-year knee birthday on May 1 and have been just getting on with things. But I like to check back every so often and see how my friends are doing. I'm so sorry to hear that you are still struggling with your knee. Have you called the surgeon? I wonder if some scar tissue has built up? Dang friend, this needs to get better and be behind you.

Roxie
 
Well I had my appointment with the surgeon. He confirmed that the knee cap is actually hitting and rubbing across the prosthetic. Well the back of the knee cap is. Its supposed to be prevented from doing that by the button they put on the back. But because I have this silly tilted kneecap, which the lateral release was supposed to help correct. Bottom line, I am off stairs as much as possible and on a anti-inflammatory. He will see me at my one year mark in October. Options he offered up:
1. Go in and trim off knee cap on the side it is impacting
2. Remove and re align the prosthesis to prevent or limit the impact

I thought of an additional option: resurface the back of the kneecap and put a artificial plate to cover the entire back for the impact rubs the plate instead of my knee cap bone.

This is frustrating, I know so many people who do not have this issue at all, and i got the funky tilted knee cap.

I plan to see him, but he was the best I could find around here.
I can't go the rest of my life in pain every time I climb stairs or hills or step up.
Thank goodness walking is okay, or maybe its only a slight rub that doesn't hurt, but then I don't know.
@Jamie
Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.
 
I'm so sorry you're still having these problems.

I don't see your "extra" option as a possibility. If you already have a patellar button, that's the only resurfacing that could be done. There isn't a way to put in an "artificial plate" other than a button.

Do you have a button? If it was me, I'd opt for the more minor surgery to try and work with your knee cap before going with a revision. Yes, it might mean more surgery, but if it works you won't need a revision.

Is the surgeon you're seeing with Dickson Diveley? What's his name as I'd like to take a look at his profile.
 
@Jamie That was one of my options, but I went with Paul Pappademus at advanced orthopedics in Wichita, KS.
I did see a physician at Dickson Diveley, but decided Pappademus had a lot more experience.
He did talk about redoing the button one the back and possibly using "artistry" as he called it to reshape the knee cap. he seemed to feel we are really close to resolving it, but some more work would be needed. I am just so tired of getting opened up. But I can't live the rest of my life like this. He does not want to remove the knee cap, he says the instability and mechanical issues will make me less than happy with the result. He also wants to try not to jeopardize all the work he did to stabilized the joint before. What ever happens I plan to put any surgery off until next year. I continue with my workouts, minus anything resembling a squat or excessive knee bend. I also continue to loose weight to help with overall stress on the knee. Has anyone ever heard of this happening and the corrective procedures that could have been used?
 
Can he shave off the part of the kneecap that is hitting the implant by arthroscopic surgery? I've had an arthroscope done on my right TKA knee that had a wad of scar tissue behind the kneecap. It was catching on the implant every time I bent my knee. Probably one of the easiest recoveries I've ever had. Scope on a Wednesday, back to work the following Monday.
 
I had the same type of problem with my patella as it wasn't tracking correctly and was hitting the outer part of my prosthesis. I opted for a revision with a very experienced OS who does many revisions a year plus TKRs. He did nothing with the knee cap but he changed out everything else. He did some work with the ligaments and now my kneecap is tracking correctly. While I did not want more surgery I did it because I was in a lot of pain and I was having great difficulty working. I can say now I'm very happy and my knee is strong. I am able to work 10-12 hours a day on my feet.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
wberry,
Sorry to hear you are having problems with your knee cap, and are facing another surgery. Reshaping your knee cap sounds like the least invasive method. Sending you all the best.
 
I my, why change out everything. Hmm, shave off and do scope sounds good. The ortho felt the implant was perfect, everything alighted just right. Can I get the name of the surgeon who did the rework? On the scope work, how much did they take off to fix things?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
[Bonesmart.org] Wberry knee is up<
Least invasive is good, as long as it works. You can see what happens when i bend and place weight on the knee when i climb stairs or do weight baring exstensions. Bame and rub
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom