Revision TKR Wberry knee is up<

Thanks all. I agree, getting the pre-op butterflies. I have a busy week at work. Then I need to work on my brakes, prep my lawn tractor for winter. that's the last things on my list. There'd pre-op class this week, but because of travel distance I will call them to let them know I won't make it and get any general info I need. I did the class last time, so it should be similar. This time I know exactly what to expect. I'm sure it will go by fast. I will be able to work from home starting the week after, so that will help stretch my leave.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
During that last preop week, it was such a relief to check off those last remaining items. I was so glad to be able to do those things as the chores kept my mind occupied. You're a veteran and will do great. You have a lot of friends on this site wishing you well!
 
Today's conversation with the Hospital and pre-op nurse:
A couple of interesting things from my discussion with the hospital.
1. My doctor prefers to use baby asprin twice a day if you have no previous history of blood clots.
2. He does not require you to wear the tights
3. He uses infiltration of the sight with pain meds in addition to oxyycntin and celebrix prior to surgery.
4. he uses a spinal block and a nerve block further down on the leg close to the sight.

The average stay for patients is two days but some stay 3. I won't see PT until the next day.

My status: water buildup in the knee has increased a bit, which is good in a way, it helps reduce the intensity of the sharp pain when the knee cap rides over the implant on its side. Getting up and stairs still really hurt, but walking is more tolerable. remember its not putting pressure on the joint that hurts its picking the leg up afterwards and bringing it forward that hurts. Only weight activities that hurt with that level 8--9 sharp pain are stairs and standing or sitting down.

One week left :-)
 
One week!!! Time will go quickly! It will be here before you know it. Hope you're finding ways to keep your mind off the "waiting" part.. :friends:
 
A couple of interesting things from my discussion with the hospital.
1. My doctor prefers to use baby asprin twice a day if you have no previous history of blood clots.
2. He does not require you to wear the tights
3. He uses infiltration of the sight with pain meds in addition to oxyycntin and celebrix prior to surgery.
4. he uses a spinal block and a nerve block further down on the leg close to the sight.

Interesting. My OS uses 325mg asprin once a day, and not #3, but that is basically my OS's plan.
They use an ultrasound to locate the nerve block. with the ultrasound and spinal block, I asked if the were sure they knew what I was in for? I'm overweight, but I'm not in labor!
 
Good luck with your surgery and recovery!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Good to know the plan and it sounds like your doctor will be on top of pain control. I'm excited for you to get this over and one with.

Roxie
 
Hmm, an ultra sound, what is it a device they put in. No matter, I will be out and not really caring much. if he handles my pain well i will be a happy man. I am allergic to pain, should be on my allergy list :-)
 
@wberry, sorry you are going through so much. A couple of things struck me reading you recent post. One, your doctor will infiltrate the knee with pain medication. I had this with my hip and it was wonderful. If you take your pain meds on time then the transition from the injected pain meds in the knee wearing off and oral pain meds should not be bad.

You mentioned being out when they do the nerve block. Not to worry, even if they did the nerve block prior to you being out, they would give you something while they do the nerve block. Not a big deal.

Good luck!!
 
An ultrasound uses sound or vibration technology to locate objects within the body. In pregnant women, they are used to take a look at the developing baby to see how things are going. Because they don't use any radiation, they are safer. I had no idea they could be used to place a nerve block.

Roxie
 
Ok, I didn't know that.And since i have never had a baby, I wouldn't know the other part.:heehee:

@Jamie, and anyone else: I have a question about longevity of a revision. I see different answers, some say 10 years other say as much as 20 to 25 with new implants. Since at worst case i will get only an upper revision, or at best case only a spacer and work on my patella. If I have the upper am I looking at 20 years or 10. If it's the lesser I'd rather just get the spacer and fix the patella and leave the components alone. I know, the surgeon will know best once he is in there.
It's just one of those last minute jitters and frustration issues that pop up in my mind.

Can someone change me over to "revision" on Tuesday
 
My OS said at least 25 years. I do not have a spacer, tibia component is one piece, poly. As you can't see in my xray to the left!
 
It's the standard implant for my OS. Research is showing the snap-in spacers wear as much or more on the bottom in contact with the metal platform as it does on top. All poly eliminates that, requires less bone removal and still provides a thicker wear part. It is gaining popularity.
 
An ultrasound uses sound or vibration technology to locate objects within the body. In pregnant women, they are used to take a look at the developing baby to see how things are going. Because they don't use any radiation, they are safer. I had no idea they could be used to place a nerve block.
I watched the anaesthetist insert my femoral nerve block (it didn't hurt). you could see the femoral nerve quite clearly on the ultrasound. He put the anaesthetic beside the nerve, not in it.
I have a question about longevity of a revision. I see different answers, some say 10 years other say as much as 20 to 25 with new implants. Since at worst case i will get only an upper revision, or at best case only a spacer and work on my patella. If I have the upper am I looking at 20 years or 10.
I had a revision and I was told that the implant could last as long as any other implant. That is, 30 years or so.
 
Got my confirmation call today from the OS. Told them i would be there with bells on at 9:00 am.
Then I get to wait, hungry and parched for lets see 4 hours and 45 Minutes. actually from the night before because i can't eat after 6pm I think. This time i have some special packs of stuff I have to wash with the night before and the morning of. Since we are two hours away I will leave around 6am in case we have any trouble on the way, we will have a buffer. Will let my wife get some breakfast. I plan to drive up since she will need to drive herself back. If I get out Thursday she will drive up to get me. She has to work, so will use each afternoon to come get me depending on when it will be. This time i will be home alone except on the weekends during the day until my son comes in from work around noon each day. plan for him to take me to PT the first couple of weeks until I get released to drive. Last time I drove at the start of week 4, but only to PT and back mostly. I won't drive until the staples come out either way. I still have a raised scar from the first TKR, guess it will look worst now. I only have a few sections that flattened out. My primary physician commented on how swollen it was. Waking up in the morning to a very soar knee is getting old, since I am on my know NSID period one week out. I will speak with the OS before they give me anesthesia. Wonder what I need to say to him. Maybe update him on the knee and what has changed and gotten worst. Really I just want him to fix the darn patella and the loose knee. If he does that well he will have my business for the left knee in a year or so. But I plan to drop the rest of my weight before that and see how it goes. Wonder if I should ask to keep my spacer he takes out, would like to see if there is any wear already.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
By all means ask to see the spacer that is removed.
I asked to have the complete implant that was removed. It was interesting for a while, but it wasn't a thing of beauty, so I eventually threw it away.
 
Ouchy Ouchy. I can make it, I know I can. Boy this knee hurts on the outside below the knee and above. Pain meds have left my system, so I know exactly what is hurting now. At lest its just on the outside instead of all the way around the implant, then I would worry about the implant loosening instead of just my ligaments and the joint compartment.

Yesterday I got a new toilet paper holder to mount. The current one is right against the assist arms on my toilet. So it is useless, and i was tired of the roll falling on the floor all the time because it is loose on the sink. Brakes stopped squeaking, so I didn't have to jack the car up and fix it. Got the shower chair, my walker and my velcro shoes out. Just in case I don't get a rehab kit, i still have all my claw grabbers, sock assist and long shoe horn left from the last surgery. Plan to tilt the recliner by my bed up and make sure all the bolts are tight this time, they tend to loosen up over time, maybe i will use some lock tight on them. Busy busy, must stay busy to get to Tuesday. Gonna split some logs this weekend. No worry everyone, I have a pneumatic log splitter. Want to make sure i am ready for winter. Taught my son how to run the snow blower, so all I have to do is move it to the front of the garage this weekend.

I wonder if i will have the same problem lifting my leg after surgery i had originally, I hope not. They thought it was a nerve thing, we shall see. I was on antibiotics for a prostate issue about a month ago, the urologist thought I should go another month, I told him I was having surgery on my knee. He thought it would also give me a little more protection against infection. All in all, I am almost as ready as I can be.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom