Revision TKR Wberry knee is up<

WOW, you are accomplishing a lot before your surgery.
Ask your OS if they do a femoral block or a saphenous nerve block. The first one effects sensation and muscles, the second one is sensory only.
 
Got it, I will add that to my last minute list for when I see him before surgery. @Pumpkln Am I allowed to ask for one or the other?
 
I'm so hoping all goes well for you and glad to hear you're staying busy until next week.
 
wberry,
You can always ask, that way you will understand where the OS is coming from.
If you had lasting problems with the femoral block, let them know.
 
Bad day for the knee today, i am gonna have to kick some things off my list.
Knee cap has gotten caught three times already. The resulting clunk and pop is painful and bone jarring. I can see my right foot turn out and then back when i bring it forward now. I never was this bad before. This surgery is happening at a good time.
I have got to tell the OS about this before surgery. Something is not right, the outside lower part hurt really bad after the third catch. I am spending the rest of the day at work sitting, and going to my car will be my only action until I get home and ice this up. Boy is it swollen up now.
 
@Pumpkln how will I know if I had lasting problems. The surgery report says spinal anesthesia was induced then general anesthesia in the Report of Operation. I made sure the OS specialist got a copy of it. The only comment I remember is they had to use general anesthesia on me because I had a low oxygen and breathing issue.
 
The spinal anesthesia was all you needed, a femoral block would have just duplicated the spinal.
For my revision I had saphenous block, worked OK, no problems. For my primary I had GA with a femoral block, which did not work, I woke up screaming in recovery, nurse quickly started morphine, :yes:.
A femoral block can cause quad weakness.
 
@Pumpkln I have no idea, now you have me scared. The notes I have from the hospital pre-says he has anesthesia do a lower block in leg, but I also wrote down spinal block too. Would they do a lower nerve block and a spinal?
 
If they would do a spinal and a femoral block at the same time is a better question for @Josephine . Slow down wberry, you are ruminating over the past, and it is going to wear you down. Look ahead to your revision and ask your OS lots of questions, so you have a clear idea of what is going to happen. Dr's notes are not clear all the time, the best person to ask is your current OS about the notes, he can clear it up for you.
 
I had both a spinal and a saphenous block -- not a femoral block -- and it all worked fine for me. I had no problems and the saphenous block helped with pain control post-surgery.

Deep breaths, friend. You have chosen your surgeon carefully and he'll know what to do.

Roxie
 
how will I know if I had lasting problems.
such as?
The surgery report says spinal anesthesia was induced then general anesthesia because I had a low oxygen and breathing issue.
That happens on occasions and may not be because you have any underlying issues. Just how you reacted on that day.
The notes I have from the hospital pre-says he has anesthetists do a lower block in leg, but I also wrote down spinal block too. Would they do a lower nerve block and a spinal?
All the time. I had this for both knees. It's quite a common practice.

The spinal anesthesia was all you needed, a femoral block would have just duplicated the spinal.
Not exactly - the spinal only lasts about 6 hours, the block lasts 24.
A femoral block can cause quad weakness.
Once in a while, it's not very common thankfully.
 
@wberry .... it sounds like you're getting the "close to surgery jitters." I agree that you'll feel a lot better if you can get your mind onto something else for these few remaining days. Please don't worry. You've done your research. You've selected an excellent doctor that you trust. The thing to do now is just...release....and let him do the job for you. So, make a list of non-surgery things to do each day until the Big Day arrives!!! You're going to be just fine. No worries, now....okay?
 
I had a spinal, never felt them do it, as I was sitting up, counting down from five, next thing I knew I was in recovery.

The fem block was fabulous for initial pain management. I felt no pain whatsoever for a bit over 24 hours.

I do still have some quad lag at five months out, but I don't know if that's from the fem block.

I would contact your surgeon's office with your questions to allay some of those fears. Or maybe if there's a pre-op class ask if there's someone there that deals with pain management / anesthesia questions? There was a nurse at my class that was very thorough answering those sorts of questions.
 
@Jamie please change my tag to revision tomorrow. I want to place links in my signature to where my original TKR started, pre revision, and after revision recovery. Is that hard to do?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Jamie will see your tag and change your prefix when she is back here.

Good luck tomorrow, and looking to a brighter future for your knee.
 
Saying a prayer all goes well!

My eye was just drawn to your location... and I now have an ear worm of John Denver's song "Matthew" stuck in my head. :)
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom