Revision TKR Wberry knee is up<

Only negative on my pre-op labs was my red blood cell count. It was about 5 points below the min. I am taking iron like crazy as part of my pre-op vitamin regiment.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Don't forget your fiber, fluids etc. as iron can stop you up a bit. I'm excited for you that you don't have long now until you get your knee fixed.
 
Kneeper's advice sounds pretty sound. With the post-surgery problems most of us have with constipation, you sure don't want to go into it feeling that way.

:)
Roxie
 
LOL that's for sure. Had s double helping of greens today to help that out. Have to stop the vitamins in 10 days anyhow. OS wants me off everything except my BP meds and Crestor. Means a couple of days with no aspirin for pain. 15 more days and counting down. A friend of mine in church went all the way to the Mayo clinic to have his revision. Seems a long way to Minnesota.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I think you're going to be just fine having yours here in Wichita! Any idea how long he'll keep you in the hospital? And which hospital?

Roxie
 
A friend of my mother's went to the Mayo for her hip revision and when it was time for a TKR she headed to Minnesota also. When she came back she let my OS do her follow ups, only because he was Mayo trained. Too far for me...
 
Let's see, it says Wesley for the hospital. I wasn't being picky because I got dropped into a cancelation slot.
I think my wife plans to dump me on the curb and drive away. She will stay till I am in my room and okay and then come back for me when they release me. The sheet says 2-3 days.
I can't afford the travel and expense to do it do mayo and then stay over in hotel until I get out. It's a long drive both ways also.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I really think you'll be just fine having it done in Wichita. Wesley is just down the street from me and you should be in good hands there. 2-3 days gives me plenty of time to get my brownies to you!

I know you're getting nervous but I really feel like this is going to be just fine.

Roxie
 
No junk food's good. Just don't skimp too much on protein. Your body'll need it, along with the very healthy vegetables and fruit.

I was slightly anemic, so before surgery I consciously changed my diet to include iron-rich food sources. I also took iron as prescribed by my OS, but I was really glad when he let me stop taking it, as the pills (along with the 325mg coated aspirin) were doing quite the number on my tummy.

I was really trying to eat healthily before my surgery, including dietary sources of iron.

Meats I added: beef, liver,* clams, oysters. Meats I was already eating: dark poultry, lamb, shrimp, tuna, occasional ham, mackerel,** liverwurst. Meats I didn't find the heart or stomach for: beef hearts, kidneys.

Whole eggs, including the yolk.

Legumes etc. I was already eating: lentils, soybeans, dried beans, etc.

Whole grains

Nuts: apparently almonds and brazil nuts are good sources, as are pumpkin seeds and sesame seeds

Dark leafy greens (especially a good source when eaten with a good source of vitamin C like tomatoes, peppers, strawberries, oranges, etc. -- in fact, eating non-meat sources of iron with a good source of vitamin C increases the body's ability to absorb that iron.)

Dried fruits: I would occasionally eat some raisins or cranberries, but before surgery I went out and got prunes, dried apricots and figs, all good sources of iron.

I was told to cook in cast-iron cookware whenever possible. All my eggs were cooked in cast iron skillets. And before my surgery I made a huge batch of tomato-sauce and meatballs, in the cast iron, of course, and froze individual portions for quick microwaveable post-surgery meals. I also made some minestrone thick with dried beans, unpeeled potatoes, lots of tomatoes, peppers, spinach -- all iron-rich, or iron-boosting -- along with onions, garlic, and basil. I browned the onions, garlic, etc. in the cast iron skillet. I used the skillet, too, when I made kidney bean chili -- some with ground beef, some vegetarian. I made fruit compote out of a mix of prunes, apricots, dried peaches and pears. I cooked up a big batch of oatmeal. I divided each of these into individual and 2 or 4 serving containers, and froze them.

* I had a hard time finding liver in local markets, but lucked out when a smaller independent market occasionally carried calf's liver. I'd never had calf's liver before, and it was divine. Compared to beef liver, that is. Of course, I still ate it with loads and loads and loads of onions and garlic mashed potatoes, but even so I looked forward the leftovers. I had better luck finding chicken livers, and chopped liver at Jewish delis.

**They might be hard to find in Middle America, but Japanese restaurants do a pretty good job of grilling mackerel, or serving it as sushi so it doesn't smell or taste too fishy.

This may be TMI, but maybe you'll find it useful.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow lots of great info here, thanks. I hate liver, but I will eat liver cheese on bread. My tummy is in a tangle today with all this iron I am taking. I am eating fiber but slowly getting plugged by the iron. I need to back off some, or I will be longing for the poop fairy long before the surgery.
Well at least I have all my stuff, walker, to let arms, can, Velcro shoes. Bed wedge, crying cuff, ice pads. I am ready to rumble.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
How many days ya got know? Wishing you the best. It's rough know. I'm in same boat. My left knee is killing me. It's doing all the work.

I'm not on much. Trying to focus on the house and the ins company is crazy. They asking me about Dr S an they stile have me list for oct 2.

I want to so bad get it al fixed up. But I'm like you antsy on which one. Grrr


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My OS had me take an iron supplement and that caused my constipation problems more than the pain meds. Get some Miralax for after surgery.
 
I usually eat a fair amount of fiber. But I really tried to up my hydration before and after the surgery: water, diluted juices, zero calorie vitamin water, etc. And I added fiber to the juices -- Kirkland Optifiber (wheat dextrose, although you could also use physillium (sp?)) and, on occasion, chia seeds. I was given colace for constipation, but, honestly, I didn't need it very often. Fiber and hydration, fiber and hydration, generally they were enough for me. I know other's mileage, and output, may vary.

In my post about iron, I forgot to add that I also made an effort to cut down or eliminate caffeine, as it interferes with iron absorption.

Good luck, @wberry.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I have around two weeks left before my surgery on Oct 6. I am hanging in there. I hate coffee, and I prefer flavored water to pop. So caffeine is not an issue for me. I love prunes, so I plan to buy a bag and start munching.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Tomorrow I enter the 10 day window. Kind of like the redzone for me. My meds will all stop in 3 days. Since I have nothing stronger than aspirin and Tylenol, I will be off even those for a solid week. Wondering if i should contact my surgeon about getting some tramadol until we get to the surgery. I am also wondering if i should mention I still have soreness below the bottom implant, I am thinking that might just be from the joint looseness and it separating and coming back together frequently when I walk. I am looking so much forward to getting this fixed. On the flip side i am scared I will walk afterwards and the patella problem will still be their. I plan to speak to the OS before surgery to make sure he understands he has to make sure that is fixed properly. I am pretty sure i will get another smith and nephew upper component if they revision it. Do they mix types or try to keep them the same, I would think so because you don't want a lower component from one manufacture and an upper from another. Another point I need to get reassured of before surgery. The one definite is I am not a candidate for a hinged knee, he already ruled that out. I have noticed that with all the PT I did, my right knee is the dominant for everything, When I stand, the weight tries to shift their. I also noticed my left seems weaker and also tiered of carrying the load from the right and it's issues. For me, while standing, the right operative knee seems firmer and more sturdy, while the left seems a less so. My goal is a good recovery, aggressive exercise and weight loss and try to put off the need for the other knee needing a replacement as for a while if I can.
 
Please try not to get too anxious during these last few days before your revision. Remember, while this is a big deal for you, it's just another day at the office for your doctor. He knows what to do. Trust all your diligent effort at finding the right guy and try to relax. You're in good hands.

It may help if you can plan to do things each day to take your mind off the surgery. Visit with friends, go out to eat, take in a movie or two....whatever floats your boat.
 
I would say yes contact your doctor regarding pain medication to take during the preop time period. On my list of acceptable meds which would vary by doctor were tramadol and Vicodin as well as others. I would not have been able to sleep without something to control the pain.
 
@wberry - I can only just imagine the stress that goes along with what you're having to deal with. But, you really need to go into this believing this will fix your current issues with time. You've done a lot of hard work to find the right surgeon. He knows what he's doing. Try not to worry about how it will all turn out. Times I have worried most, have turned out to be non-issues... and over the years, I have figured out it doesn't really change the outcome of anything anyway.. I agree with Jamie.. try to find things to keep you busy in these days before your surgery to keep your mind off things.. You'll do fine.. :console2:
 
Good points. I pray for you. I am glad your getting it fixed. ❌❌❌❌


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom