Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Wberry knee is up<

Celle is right. Actually I wouldn't recommend weights until you are at least 6 months out. You have plenty of time to get this right. There is no rush! Concentrate right now on getting your gait right. Some walking is good, but don't overdo that either. The best guide to what you can do is how your body feels in the 12-24 hours after you do something, because normally it won't hurt when you do it at this stage. So, take things slowly and watch how you feel. And no knocking over the girls in the gym like you're at a bowling alley. Or else you'll probably be finding a new gym!:heehee:
 
Got it, so I did only one lap, and today I feel fine. No weight on the curl and extend machine for a while.
Gave up trying to balance on the bogu ball. Gonna stick with one leg stands for a while. You'll never guess what I found in the locker room, a sauna. Time to relax and sweat.

Shorter less hurried steps being used, no more MWA thus far.

No longer tired after working all day, made it the entire week. Busy and everyone is glad I am back except the people I manage. Sorry no bell on this cat, and I'm back with a big smile. No, I am not a blue meany, I just have a lot of responsibilities and I have to enforce standards of performance. So the others who have been covering are glad I am back. I told them to wear my Darth Vader mask while I was gone.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
And nobody should be laughing at you no matter how many weights you are or aren't using. (Remarkable restraint for not making them human bowling pins.). Grin


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I was wondering, I am pretty sure this is the knee implant I have:
[Bonesmart.org] Wberry knee is up<

When I have my boggles, the take the form of either a hyper extension back or a sudden forward release. The forwards are not to bad and seem to be vary similar to the quick drops when I do stairs going down on the operative knee. Thus they don't lead to any pain. The hyper extensions worry me the most. Even though there is a post there, is its function alignment or to stop the hyper extension. And if it is not the hyper extension prevention, then what stops it on the TKR knee.

Any comments?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
The post at #7 should control extension, if this is the type of knee you have. You probably need to strengthen your hamstring muscles, they help control extension. You may want to ask your OS for more PT to be shown appropriate exercises for your hamstrings and quads.
 
Wow such cool looking excerise equipment. Here in Ky ours is not all that new. They have cardiac rehab there to so just a few bikes and treadmills. And new-steps. I love the bike more. I could never do it.


Happy healing. And do get more Pt if you need it. Them quads and Hamstrings needs strength.

Xxxx happy healing. Glad your progress is going good.


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
It is a muscle strength/recovery issue. You're still in the early days of recovery and soft tissue is in the healing phase. Once you are healed and can work a bit more on strengthening, you shouldn't have these issues. This is one reason we tell you to take things easy in the first months after surgery. Your muscles have atrophied some and all the soft tissue is recovering from the trauma of surgery.

If you had cruciate sacrificing surgery, you will have an implant with a peg in it that controls the maximum movements of the new joint. That is what you have pictured.
 
As far as I know that is the case, I will check with my OS to make sure.

Are we supposed to get a card saying we had TKR for when we go through airport metal detectors?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Having a card is no use at all. They won't take any notice of it. That's because the cards are too easy to forge.
You'll probably still ring the bell as you go through the arch, and have to be wanded and patted down. In some airports, you may be able to go through a scanner instead.

I usually tell the person on duty that I have artificial knees and sometimes they direct me to the scanner.

Now you have an artificial knee, remember to go earlier to the airport, to allow extra time for security screening.
 
He is right. I had a issue where staff at security station would not listen to me. Offer to pull paints leg up. Would not even acknowledge me. But it's there main goal job, to maintain keep safety in big places. So they rush you. Or wand you.

That did not work. They was getting mad. Off came the Shoes,belt,suite top. Waned again. By then he was mad. I kept saying i have knee replace.

He said them don't go off way there made know days. I said ok. He kept on getting mouthy cussing arms.
I had to go in another room with female. She wand me pat me. I said mam may I please pull up my paint leg. Yes you can don't move. Hand on her side in front of me. Like I was going harm her. So I did. She said you should told them. I said mam pull the camera listen I did try they would not listen. So she walk out said knee replace. I grab all my stuff and had to put stuff back in purse where they dunp into container.

If won't help at all. And some is nice about it and others is not. I just hike me paints leg. Know when I walk in they say knee replace. And I walk through no hassle unless it's a person I not delt with..

So in all honesty they won't help. I asked about it. Happy healing.


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
Now if this racket my knee makes will ever stop I will be happy. It's on the non-weight baring forward step when it seems like my knee cap and low section below it just kind of makes four clicks as the leg moves forward. They are not just noises I can feel them in the top of the knee.
Sometimes it's a little irritating.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Report at lets see 2 months out, wow!!

PT on my own for last 2-3 weeks. I am wondering if I have some imbalance in strength developing in the knee and quads. My regiment starts with the recumbent bike, followed by the pusher machine. Then I spend 10 minutes with very slow stretches followed by two eights of a mile walk. Stop for leg lifts and side lifts and more stretching. Then its step time, and I really take my time here. My goal is a grouping of 3 sets of 10, but this is where the imbalance shows up. So I try not to push it. Prefer to do the exercise right and controlled until I can't instead of to the reps. It is improving, but slowly, I know quads take a while and mine are in pretty bad shape.
Balance exercise and the one leg stand. Trying for 1 min with three sets, but I am not even getting to a complete minute before the imbalance pushes me one way or the other. I to these 3 times a week, and just do stretching on off days, weekends are rest days.
 
Balance is my biggest struggle, even now, and I'm pretty far out. Last year at this time I felt I liked look a drunk walking in public. PTs tried to work on it, but to no avail. I'm better than I was, but not great. Let me know if you find a solution.
 
wberry,
The exercises you are doing should lead to improved balance over time. Ask your PT at the gym where you work out for some balance exercises. You can do the single limb stance at home daily, just 60 seconds 1x.
Are you doing any core strengthening? Until your core is stable, you can work on your legs until the cows come home and your balance will still be off.
It takes time to improve balance, one day you will notice your balance is back to normal.
 
Core???
@pumpkin Not sure I follow, you mean like sit-ups and abs and stuff like that? Gonna have to google this.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am not a big fan of sit ups, but yes strengthening your abdominal and back muscles. Ask if they have classes that have core exercises.
 
Okay, I can handle this one, situps, crunches, curls, and upper body it is.

I have a new at work stretch exercise, discovered it by accident.
1. Sit in a chair with wheels and position so knees are at 90 deg.
2. Slowly roll forward while holding the operative knee in place on the floor, don't move that foot.
3. When you get resistance or at the stretch level you want, from the resulting bend and it bends under the chair, hold for a 5 count and release.
4. repeat to your hearts content.

A modification of this is to hold for longer and massage tight spot until it relaxes
 
The only caution I would add, is to be sure you have good control of the rolling chair so you do not accidentaly push into too much flexion.
 
I don't think sit ups are done all that much anymore as they have been shown to be hard on your neck. There are many, many effective exercises for developing core strength. Just Google it or check out YouTube videos. You'll find more than you need.
 
Good point there, I always hated them when I was in the military. I did see a rocker assist for situps that lets your head rest on a pad. I just want to make sure what ever I do doesn't over stress the knee and focuses on the core.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom