Revision TKR Wberry knee is up<

I luckily only get one miss fire at a time. Problem is it keeps affecting the same area of my knee. So now that spot is marginally sore all the time. This is such a pain. I think I need a pain chart from @Josephine and send her the area that hurts to see what she thinks.
The pain area is both painful to the touch and also painful whe I walk. It's the same area that was both injured and had resettle woken up. When my knee takes a skip or wobble when the quad fails this area is taking the hit as the area is pinched or pressure is applied on it.

My wife got tired of my no frills cane with the bend in the bottom, so she got me a fancy bamboo looking stained wood one. So I am styling now.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I've got 3 canes! LOL! A slim and stylish one that I used before surgery; a heavy duty one with four feet at the bottom that I used right after surgery when my whole body was very wobbly; and an electric blue one i use every day with a bend near the top and a rubber foot that allows it to stand up on its own.

But WB, when my quad misfires, there is NO pain. It doesn't hurt at all; just catches me by surprise. I would definitely follow up with your docs on this.
 
Yea, I better call and make an appointment then. This spot shouldn't hurt like this.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
PT and put me on an on your own gym program with Aqua rehab also. So no more PT.
I am not sure why they have decided to have you do this---but aqua-therapy can be very, very gentle and helpful.

I am wondering why they do not want you to be monitored as to how you are progressing.
I will tag @Josephine so that she can get you the information that you need.
 
I think I need a pain chart from @Josephine and send her the area that hurts to see what she thinks.
And here tis!


Please note the instructions in the smaller image

[Bonesmart.org] Wberry knee is up<


[Bonesmart.org] Wberry knee is up<
 
Pain area is drf1 and slightly below it. First noticed after PT session on Monday. Pain is isolated to area on side of knee cap and just below it. I noticed a puffy area that was a little painful to the touch. I had complete numbness in the entire area to the right and slightly below the knee cap after TKR. I now have some feeling on the outside. When I do straight leg lift the pain intensifies. On the outside and just below the knee cap. I had to ice and rest for two days following PT because the area of sourness was making it hard for me to move the knee at first.

The lower pain area is about where the lower plate of the new knee is but to the outside. The knee cap movement when I lock the knee for leg lift is much more pronounced than my non operative knee.
The back of the leg in the same area, the muscle is still tight. drb1

The second PT was only for 4 weeks and only twice a week. Now that has been stopped and I have been told to do gym on my own 3 times a week. I have a sheet of exercises and machines to use. Aqua was also on my own.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Tomorrow I have an appointment concerning the pain area that has appeared in the area around my knee cap and on the right side. Personally I think it's just and area that has woken up or is strained. We will see tomorrow I hope.
PT on my own is going well, feels so good to do it because I want too.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Report on my appointment. Well I had my knee jerked, moved, stressed and worked over. The assessment is that i am on track for what is expected for 7-8 weeks. Opinion is that the scar tissue forming on the upper sides is what I tore, which is what needs to be done to get better ROM. I was advised that I should continue to work out, but if I get any pain from a particular activity, to back off on that activity for a week or so allow irritation or swelling to go back down. He wanted me to take it slow and work though to increase ROM and strengthening of the knee and quads. Swelling is what they expected. Wants to see me in 6 more weeks to see how I am progressing.

I am happy I haven't damaged anything essential, and this is pretty much normal.
 
I'm glad your appointment was reassuring. Slow and steady is the way to make permanent progress.
 
Good report from the doc...like you thought, you gave yourself an MUWA!
 
Thanks so much for the good words, you all make me feel good. Hope I don't have to do to many more of these. They hurt when the happen. And I gimped today trying to get to my car in a down pore. Nothing like rain and pain and now I'm soaking wet too.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
61 days post op
Or 8.5 weeks

Still occasionally doing self inflicted MUA to myself, usually when I walk.
Since my walking distance has increased, chances of the self inflicted are there also. Thus I have to try to watch each step. I am hoping that improvements in balance, which are slow coming, will help. PT has been interesting. Instead of using a 6 in step up I climb up and down my stairs in three sets. Leg extensions and curls have been a challenge. Hard to find a machine with light enough weight for me to use. Building my legs, quads and surrounding knee muscles is going to be a slow process. Pain levels are good, I'm on only aspirin or Tylenol once in the morning and one tramodol at night. Swelling changes slowly, mostly the muscles behind the knee tighten up a lot when I over do it or have a boggle self MUA. My gait is almost gone, but I carry the cane just in case. Had one boggle where if I didn't have the cane I just know I would have fell. Using the vibration massage unit has had mixed results. Feels good, but I am unsure if it is helping to reduce scar tissue. Work is going well, I am on full days with no issues.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Opinion is that the scar tissue forming on the upper sides is what I tore, which is what needs to be done to get better ROM.
So you did MWA on yourself---a "manipulation without anesthesia"? Hope that soreness subsides---ice it and let it rest

I was advised that I should continue to work out, but if I get any pain from a particular activity, to back off on that activity for a week or so allow irritation or swelling to go back down.
Yes---just listen to your knee and to your body---if you get too tired or too sore, back off and let it rest---this recovery is marathon and not a sprint---so just pace yourself more slowly and resist the urge to work harder---slow, steady, and patiently is is the way to go.

He wanted me to take it slow and work though to increase ROM and strengthening of the knee and quads.
Yes!!! Fight the urge to try to speed things up by working through the pain---just take it slowly and you will move forward!
 
So what is PT on my own like?
[Bonesmart.org] Wberry knee is up<

Well some of what I am use to is available. So it's ten minutes on these pusher machines. Good quad and flex work out.
[Bonesmart.org] Wberry knee is up<

Time to stretch. Yes, this combat cage is a master stretch station. I use it only for caff, quads, knee flex, and growing stretches. Nice, I got to 126 today now without much pain at all.
Time for a walk, but it's going to rain, so off I go
[Bonesmart.org] Wberry knee is up<
on this nice quarter mile indoor track.
[Bonesmart.org] Wberry knee is up<

Maybe someday I will get to use this, at least the view is nice. After the walk I set up 6 inch steps and did my forward side and back step ups and step downs.
[Bonesmart.org] Wberry knee is up<
time to push and strengthen the quads
[Bonesmart.org] Wberry knee is up<
not to worry it's set at what I am comfortable with not my PT.
In addition this place is full of things I hope to do a year or so from now.
[Bonesmart.org] Wberry knee is up<
like a little field sport light weight, maybe some racket ball.

Now I found the bogu ball @referee54 mentioned. But couldn't get the hang of it. Even found a wrack of medicine balls. All these very fit college kids just look at me, the guy walking with a cane and wonder what's up. I just smile and PT my way to full tecovery.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow I had this idea, and it really feels good and may help. I was using a vibration device on my knee. But it felt a little harsh even at slow speed. So instead I put on my cryo cuff, filled it with ice water. Then payed the vibrator on it. Man this is nice. The vibration radiates more and provides a gentle pulsing through the knee area just below. Here is a picture:
[Bonesmart.org] Wberry knee is up<

If I need more focused pulses I turn the two bumps over
[Bonesmart.org] Wberry knee is up<

Will let you know if results do anything for me.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Today's PT was really fun. I need some new gym cloths. My weight loss is making it hard to keep my britches up(that's pants).

I have a question on how to use the bogu ball properly. Can someone tell me? I located the bounce net, but it there is no way to stand it up. I'm worried I will get in trouble if I put it against the wall, through the ball at it and the ball bounces and hits someone. I have this vision of knocking over a bunch of girls doing lunges like bowling pins.

There are two different leg press machines, one I sit in and one I stand up in. I think I will save the stand up until I get stronger in a few months. The ladies laugh at my little 30pounds I lift, this is so embarrassing sometimes.

So I'm at just past 8 weeks. How much distance on the walk track should I be doing?

I discovered what prompted my boggle. My boss watch me have a boggle and said why are you walking with such big steps, he saw my knee over extend back and boggle it went. He thought my steps are to big at the stage I'm at and recommend shorter steps. He is a football and basketball coach also.
Anyone think he is right on? I did shorter steps and had no more boggles the rest of the day.

They have these stair machines that look like escalators. I thought those would work great on quads and my stair work, but again it will be months before I would even consider trying.

That's my report


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
There are two different leg press machines, one I sit in and one I stand up in. I think I will save the stand up until I get stronger in a few months. The ladies laugh at my little 30pounds I lift, this is so embarrassing sometimes.
@wberry
I think that 8 weeks is really too early to be using any weights at all. Your knee is still in the healing stage. Leave these strengthening exercises for at least another month.

I discovered what prompted my boggle. My boss watch me have a boggle and said why are you walking with such big steps, he saw my knee over extend back and boggle it went. He thought my steps are to big at the stage I'm at and recommend shorter steps. He is a football and basketball coach also.
Anyone think he is right on? I did shorter steps and had no more boggles the rest of the day.
I think your boss has made a very sensible suggestion.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom