Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Wberry knee is up<

good luck at work tomorrow! Take it easy on the squats, don't want to over do them! I have PT tomorrow also, hopefully it goes well! Hope you had a great weekend!
 
This weekend was all rain, knee was all pain and hurt and swelling. Icing even this morning befit I drive to work. Gonna ice at work also. 8 hours here I come.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Work just seemed to drag on and on and on. Then cam PT, and I wanted to cry. Squats, leg presses, steps, weighted curls and extensions, two bike sessions and then finally 15 min of icing the knee. I thought I was going to be alright until I went to stand. O my O my O My, remember that area that was numb from after surgery, well something in it woke up, and my knee refused to work right. I could move but something was catching and hurting and it managed to hobble out to the car. I wanted to go home so bad, but I had a meeting I promised i would be in. Now it is about 3 hours later and i took a pain med and it feels better, but I plan to have some words with this new PT on Wednesday. Why did it wait until I was done to suddenly flare up. The pain is in the area to the right and slightly below the knee cap. I have iced again here at the office and stayed off my feet. One more hour and I head home. My days us to fly by here at the office, guess I am not nearly as busy, or they are keeping work away from me out of fear I will get overwhelmed. Even had someone offer to carry a pile of paper for me, in case it was to heavy. A depressing and painful day for me, will be glad to get home.
 
Squats, leg presses, steps, weighted curls and extensions, two bike sessions and then finally 15 min of icing the knee. I thought I was going to be alright until I went to stand. O my O my O My,
Oh my, indeed!
At only 6 weeks after surgery, that amount of exercise is far too much for your knee. It's too early to be doing squats (which are very hard on the knee). Leg presses and weights should wait for much longer - months, in fact. Your soft tissues are still healing and all that exercise is going to make them inflamed and angry, which will slow down your recovery.

Certainly have words with your PT and tell him/her that you won't be doing any of those things again.

Remember that your knee is wounded, not unfit or lazy.
 
Tomorrow is a new day, just try to remember that..sorry that PT pretty much sucked for you...you might have "woken" (is that even a word?) up some nerves..hopefully they will settle down..get some meds in ya and a nice dinner and then hit the sack...tomorrow WILL be better!
 
Hope tomorrow goes well for you. If you have compression socks wear one, it helps with awakened parts. I don't have the socks yet but I use an ace bandage and it helps a lot.

Work most certainly seems to drag, even at 6 hours.


Brenda
 
I still have my tet hoses. Maybe I wear one.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sorry you've had a rough day and I hope today is much better. Which Kansas wheat field do you live in? I live in the Wichita area and will be having my TKR in Lenexa -- bad experience with a Wichita OS during an earlier arthroscopy.
 
You cannot speed up your recovery by doing more---perhaps the PT's need to realize this---but there is plenty that you can do to slow it down---and, again, the PT folks need to recognize this.
but I plan to have some words with this new PT
Remember the PT works for you---you set the limits as to what is acceptable and what you will not do---draw that line in the sand.
[Bonesmart.org] Wberry knee is up<

Let them know what you will do and what you will not do---if they do not like it, you can firer them.

This is not an athletic recovery or athletic training, and working harder will not help you out at all.

It is too bad that the PT does not realize that they are being counterproductive in regards to your health and your recovery.
 
Yea, well that's what I get for switching PT's when I went back to work. So this is what has resulted.
The area around my knee cap on the lower outside woke up. It was numb, now it is not. It must have controlled a muscle or something, because it locked up. I spent two days icing like crazy and doing mild stretches. Well it finally released and relaxed this morning. If it hadn't I was going to take today off. One good thing has happened. The looseness and clicking of the knee cap has reduced about 20%. The area that wool up is now firmer and is actually supporting the knee cap on the lower right. So I feel some more control and balance, weak control, but more.

I never found the tommy hoses in my size, but I found some "copper fit" as seen on TV copies in Walgreens. They are only 9.99, so I got one for each knee. They feel great. So today is really turning out pretty good, compared to yesterday.
I still plan to have a heart to heart with my new PT.

I am still occasionally having those slips when the knee looses balance and the quads don't catch it. About 3-4 a day, but at least they are not painful when they happen now.

OS wants me to get of the Tramodol. I thought they weren't considered a narcotic. Guess I move to strait aspirin and Napersen then. I got one more refill and that's it. I was down to only one a day and that was at bed time.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am still occasionally having those slips when the knee looses balance and the quads don't catch it. About 3-4 a day, but at least they are not painful when they happen now.
When my quads were significantly strengthened, they disappeared.
I still plan to have a heart to heart with my new PT.
yes, please---let this person know that you are recovering from a very traumatic surgery and do not need anymore trauma inflicted---either to your knee or to yourself!
 
WB - the knee sleeves are the best, aren't they? Since I've gone back to work, i wear them on both the non-op and the bionic knee. Wouldn't dare leave home without them!

I also have much less knee buckling than before. I guess my quads are finally getting stronger.
 
I am so jealous, I am still struggling with it. I counted, 6 buckles today. I really hate it when it happens when you are walking up to someone to say hi, or welcome you back. The look, reach for you and say are you okay.
I just look and say, I forgot to charge my knee battery:heehee:.
 
WB - don't be jealous! I think you had your surgery in March, no? I had mine in January. Seriously, as your quads get stronger, it WILL get better.:egypdance:
 
@wberry
Are you still using a stick? It sounds as if you still need to use one for support, until that knee buckling stops.
 
I never felt pain at my 2nd PT group. It is a group associated and in the same offices as my OS. After my infection I decided to drive further(or someone else drove me further) to be at a PT with a dr. in the house. They were great, no pain and really built up the strength in my leg.
 
Well I went to PT. I told them about what happen. Told them I had to ice and rest to get motion back. Tried some bike to loosen it up, but it was slow with irritation. We tried one strait leg lift and that area below the knee hurt as I tensed and lifted. PT had me stop and called my OS. OS had them stop the PT and put me on an on your own gym program with Aqua rehab also. So no more PT.
@referee54 So why do think he just had me stop and go on my own? Hope I didn't do anything wrong, or was he worried they had pushed it to hard?
All I did was told them what happen after the first session.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
In this case, PT knows best, WB! Hope you're better soon.

And ....you'll find this interesting: A few day ago I said that my quad rarely fails to fire these days. Apparently I spoke too soon and tempted the gods.
As I walked the one block I have to travel to work once I get off the bus, I felt my leg give way. As usual, I gripped my cane a little tighter and brought it forward to catch me. Well, this time, instead of my quad recovering immediately, as I took another step, the quad failed to fire AGAIN. For a second, my leg just flopped around like a wet noodle and I nearly went down. Luckily, the cane caught me again.
I walk around the apartment without my cane and a few steps around my office, but this is why I ***never*** leave home without it.
 
Haven't experienced that yet, really hope I don't!!!!
 
Back
Top Bottom