TKR Walking without an aid?<

You are so right !! But, it was a lot harder than I could ever have imagined. Just trying to grasp that the healing process takes a year or more just dumb-founded me. Now adding the other knee and getting it over with is daunting indeed. Life will sure be different. We really want to travel and walking is a plus for that. Thanks@ KarriB...you're a pleasure to talk to. You always bring my spirits up !! Have a great afternoon !!
 
Why, thank you, Crissy! I admire you moving forward so soon with your other knee. I keep holding off, but I'm more active now than I've ever been and last year began traveling after my retirement. The TKR is definitely worth the traveling!
 
Hi Everyone.....I was wondering if there was any info on Fracture Blisters? I'm getting ready for knee #2 to be replaced and am worried about going through these blisters again. The first time around the whole tops of my feet were covered in blisters and I ended up in the hospital for 4 days on intravenous antibiotics. The pain was indescribable. Can they be avoided in any way? Is there something I can make sure I don't do again? I was told at the time they deal with these blisters everyday but mine were of epic proportion and was sent to the wound clinic that day and then straight to the hospital. Really hoping not to go through tis again. Any info or help greatly appreciated !!!! :sos:
 
I'm going to tag @Josephine for your question about fracture blisters. I looked them up and they do look nasty. I'm so sorry you had them, and sure hope you don't have them again!
 
your zingers have come and gone and may return but just thought I'd let you know I had some at 7-8 months. I welcome more as I still have a numb spot. I also read one of Josephine's posts recently where she got some feeling back after 5 years!! So, there is hope for us all. :)
 
@SusieShoe thank you so much!

@jaschembra Wow....5 years? Amazing. It was just a surprise when my numbness started to wear off....still a work in process. Kind of feels like when a foot goes to sleep and then comes out of it. When the zingers started shooting I thought "Now what?". But, hearing from others it's a signal nerves are on the mend. That's a good thing!! Progress for all of us !
 
[Bonesmart.org] Walking without an aid?<
 
Wow, I sure hope you don't have to deal with those with your second knee surgery.
 
@jboles.......I hope not also. Nobody around this area seemed to know (or care to know) what was the cause. They tried oxycodone for the pain. When I told the ER Dr. that medicine didn't work for me she said "Then I don't know what to do for you. I went home. 2 days later I had a follow up appointment with my OS and was sent to the hospital right away. 4 days of intravenous antibiotics and a catheter (ugh). But.......still don't know how and why all this happened. It must be a one of a kind case.(That's my kind of luck)
 
I was dumbfounded that's for sure.
So am I! I think it must be some a kind of cellulitis. It's certainly none of the 'usual' suspects like drape adhesive, Betadine skin prep, over-enthusiastic gripping by an assistant who doesn't know his own strength!
 
@Josephine.....You know your stuff ! I was diagnosed with Cellulitis also. Does that cause blisters?? The pain was unbearable and I'm not exaggerating. I wouldn't let anyone even breathe around my leg. Now how do I avoid cellulitis if you can help me. The fear of going through this again is unthinkable. Thanks for any and all help.
 
I was diagnosed with Cellulitis also. Does that cause blisters??
Does it cause blisters? You betcha! And then some!

How do you avoid it next time? Well, cellulitis occurs when bacteria, most commonly streptococcus and staphylococcus, enter through a crack or break in your skin. My case of cellulitis was actually caused by a tiny instance of DVT in the vein in my ankle.

I'd been to church where I used to do some quite vigorous flag waving but half way though the service, I was take ill with nausea and vomiting and had to flee home. Crashed out on the settee from about midday to midnight, woke and thought my leg felt strange. Flung the blanket back to find my entire leg from mid foot to mid thigh was a bright strawberry pink!

Called my GP first thing in the morning who paid a house call, took one look at my big red leg and with great jollity, informed me I had "as good a case of cellulitis" he'd ever seen. I was off sick for 12 weeks and on prodigious amounts of antibiotics all that time. Just praying that he would want to admit me!

But it eventually settled down at which time, I found a trough in my ankle I could lay my little finger in. When I told my friend (a surgeon) at the hospital, he told me about the DVT thing and asked me if I'd had a cold or a sore throat 2-3 weeks before this showed up. And I had! So that was the source of the infection and we presumed it settled in that vein in the ankle and thus caused the cellulitis!

My experience was quite as intense as yours but very different. It's dreadfully painful, isn't it? Each time I got to my feet, I thought my leg was literally going to explode!

So I'm telling you there are no preventative measures you can take and often as not, you won't even know what caused it in the first place. Sorry about that, but it's one of those conditions that defies analysis. However, I do think the chances of you getting it again are remote.
 
@Josephine......my God I think yours was worse. People can't and won't understand this type of pain until (hopefully they never have to) they go through it. I found very little understanding and empathy for my situation but I'm guessing it's because they haven't really seen anything like this. When I would cry out in pain they looked at me like I should be ashamed of myself. In reality I was at my wits end. Just praying it doesn't happen again. Thanks Josephine for all your understanding and help. YES........you know your stuff:thankyou:
 
@crissyP ouch !!! That picture looks painful :-( I have had staph infection before and can imagine what cellulitis would feel like. When are you getting your next knee done ? My non surgery knee has been hurting me lately so I am thinking that eventually I will have to get it done also. I just want to get some money saved up before hand so I don't have to worry as much about funds. Hope your next knee goes smoother than this one did.
 
People can't and won't understand this type of pain until (hopefully they never have to) they go through it. I found very little understanding and empathy for my situation but I'm guessing it's because they haven't really seen anything like this.
I do so agree. It's the same with lots of conditions. My sister has a spine shaped like an 'S' and is in constant pain even when she turns to pick up the phone or stand up, she yelps and her son and daughter are singularly unsympathetic and just tell her off for being so noisy!

I will say that even my colleagues at work were unsympathetic as were the management. They kept calling me in for reviews and shaking their heads at me making such a bit deal of a 'little bit of skin infection'!! But I still refused to go back until it was 90% better. My biggest stick was that I worked in the orthopaedic theatre and just had to say "staph infection" and they backed off! Except it actually probably wasn't a staph infection but a strep infection!
 
@JJ65....My next surgery is Nov. 13th of this year. Like you, my non surgical knee said enough is enough and started to pain me quite a bit. Because of that my new knee is achy and sore. It's having to bear the burden and it's not quite all the way healed yet. So......gonna bite the bullet and go ahead with surgery. Hope you're able to get yours done soon also. It will be so wonderful to have all of this behind us right?

@Josephine....You would think working in orthopedics people would know what the heck is going on in your situation. I just have to shake my head and wonder about some people at times. No matter where we are or what we do in our lives a little compassion can go a very long way at making somebody's misery a little less unbearable. I went to see my grandson at the hospital a couple weeks ago and noticed they had signs that said "Empathy" plastered all over the walls. Do people really have to be reminded that they should show a little understanding and kindness to others these days?? Anyway......thank you so much again for your help. I truly appreciate it !
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom