TKR Walking without an aid?<

@crissyP I bet you will feel so much better after both knees are all done. :-) Hope things go smoothly for your second knee in November, and hope you continue smoothly with the rest of your recovery for this knee that you had done. Blessings to you. Have a great day.
 
@jboles......It does kill your back for sure !!!!! I know what you mean about trying to hold off on a second surgery. You are really young in this recovery and I know how that is. I was wondering if I'd ever get to a place of peace when I started out. Patience was not in my vocabulary then but now easy does it all the way. Good luck with the second surgery.......you'll get through it just fine ! Keep in touch.....
 
@JJ65.....Thank you so much !!! I'll just be glad when it's over and I can start to heal (Both knees). I know it's for the best and needs to be done. Than you again!
 
((Crissy)) - so sorry you are having so much trouble with your other leg. November will be her soon - though I know you are not looking forward to another TKR so soon. We'll all be here to support you and cheer you on!
 
Hello crissyp, I just read through your thread and it really rang a familiar tune to me. In July I had my second knee done, and I'm at almost 6 weeks post op. Honestly, my pending surgery was never out of my mind for very long, and now I'm so sorry I put myself through so much worry. I was wishing for assurance that things would go as well as they did first time, but I was preparing myself for a more difficult recovery. It never dawned on me that it could be better! And it has been way better. A couple of the reasons for that will help to make yours go better too.

First off, I knew what to expect, knew what worked for me to deal with pain, knew I liked my PT, and knew that I had a great outcome after my first TKR. This helped me to be WAY more relaxed going into the surgery. I'm convinced that being more calm and accepting was a major factor in everything going well.

Next, my surgeon asked what aspects of my first TKR were a problem so they could try to plan ahead. I told him I hated being so nauseous and he said he could take care of that. I really didn't think that it would change, but it did! No nausea and I even ate regular food while hospitalized. Also, he told me even though it had only been a year since my first surgery, they had made some procedural changes during that time. I don't know what specifically, but I think doctors and hospitals are constantly trying to improve. With my second, I had almost NO bruising and considerable more comfort moving around.

I wanted to tell you all this, so you can feel great about your decision to get your surgery. It's great to have one new working and pain free knee, but the other old knee takes away all the fun. I commend your courage and resolve to address your second knee. Even though it's not what any of us would choose to go through, recovery happens before you know it. Honestly, these last 6 weeks have gone by so fast. Life goes by fast as well, so why not be mobile to enjoy it to the fullest? Wishing you the best as you finish up the journey you started in February.
 
@Happydale......Thank you so much for your thoughts and comments. They are very reassuring and comforting. I do agree, knowing what is in store for the next surgery helps. Before I had my first surgery I was scared to death and all the comments I got from friends and family didn't help. As I prepare for the second surgery there will be several changes that's for sure. My first surgery had a few bumps in the road and I am hoping that won't be the case this time. I'm loaded for bear about pain meds and have already addressed that issue with the main nurse. I know there is an opioid problem out there but a knee replacement patient shouldn't have to suffer excruciating pain because a Dr. is afraid to issue a prescription.

PT will be on my terms also. Called and got home therapy all set up with the same caring nurses that came out the first time. I'm easing into it this time. ELEVATION and ICE!!!!!!!!! Wasn't too faithful about that and paid a big price....hospital stay for 4 days. UGH...............I was never so glad to get home in my life...lol!!

All in all the final thing to remember is this will help with a productive life and I won't be staying inside anymore. Going to go out and see how the other people live all over the states. TRAVEL, TRAVEL, TRAVEL. Going to have some fun.

Thank you again and have a wonderful day! You just made mine better !!!
 
I think you're going to do just fine this 2nd time. We have one big advantage - now we know some of the things to expect. I have been wondering just recently, how much is my bad natural knee effecting my new knee??? I don't think I'm favoring it, but I was wondering if the pain from it is causing me to have increased discomfort on my bionic knee. A mind game so to speak. I'm hoping for a repeat performance in Jan. (Minus the bad pain on day 2-3 at home due to under medication by the dr. - we have an understanding now! lol). You may be nervous as the day approaches but you'll be ready to welcome in a new knee!!
 
Crissy, it sounds like you are mentally ready for this TKR. I hope the next few months go quickly for you.
 
You're in such a good mental space, Crissy! You sound positive and ready to take on your surgery. Knowing what to expect is half the battle.
 
@jaschembra.....I'm thinking whether or not we know it.....we favor the knee that hurts. I know I'm doing that and the bionic knee is taking on the load for both knees. My bionic knee does ache and I do ice and elevate to help relieve discomfort. My back suffers as well from trying to do a balancing act so to speak. Good Luck with your upcoming Jan. surgery. We'll both be ready for it this time with some new rules!!

@KarriB and @SusieShoes......Thank you for the encouraging words. My mind tells me I'm ready but when I think about driving into the Hospital parking lot I kinda go into a panic....lol. I'm really ready for a better life without so much pain that's for sure. Everyone have a fabulous day!
 
I can't imagine going into a TKR (especially after having one) without some fear or panic. Just thinking about having my left knee done makes me a little nauseous. But when you have bone on bone pain, all you want is to be rid of that pain. After one TKR you know that there will be pain, but not bone on bone and this pain will diminish with time which will culminate in getting your life back.
 
@KarriB......So true about the pain. People who have had knee replacements would tell me "Yes" there is pain but it's a different kind of pain. Now we know what that means. The bone on bone pain is fatiguing and you just can't get away from it. There are times when I'm walking I'm dragging that leg along because of the pain. I'm sure my new right knee id suffering because of this......so will be glad when the left one is done and can hold it's own.
Have a wonderful day !!!!!!
 
Hi Everyone......When I had my knee replacement 6+ months ago I had numbness on the right side of the knee. The PT would touch that side of the knee every now and then and ask "Did you feel that"? No I did not and after so long I decided I would be numb forever. Well, about 10 days ago my feeling in that area started to come back. Now I'm having zingers and zaps every now and again and am wondering if that's normal or do I need to call the OS? It's weird having the feeling back because I thought I would be without feeling in that area forever. Thanks !!
 
Zingers are perfectly normal, just a sign that those nerves are still there. Most of us have experienced them at some time or another during recovery.
 
Just the nerves "waking up" again. This is actually good news!
 
@Jaycey........Thank you so much !!!!!!! Makes me feel better! My knee is alive....lol
 
Some people stop worrying, unfortunately I never do, so I totally understand. My dad and bff both had TKRs before me which helped answer my questions and worries. I did not know about BoneSmart at the time of my TKR.
 
I'll never stop worrying....that's unfortunately part of my personality.....or( because I'm a Mom). My son just hates it and wishes I could control it a bit better. This knee replacement is all an unknown to me. I wouldn't have had it done except for the fact that I wanted to walk again and not be in a Hover Round. Now it's almost time for the other knee surgery and I'm probably over thinking every little detail. If I hadn't found this site I don't think I could have handled a lot of what I've been through (not unlike everyone else here). It's been a God send and I am thankful for everyone's help and patience. Thank you everyone !
 
It was probably easier when you didn't know what was waiting or how you'd feel post op. But on the other hand, you know you can get through this and it's a little sacrifice for a BIG pay off. :yes:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom