TKR Walking without an aid?<

Sometimes getting it over with is the right plan. So glad to hear that your right knee continues to progress well. "Hope is that thing with wings," and that progress is just full of hope.
 
@phrog Thank you for the encouraging words. Back where I started.....wishing it was over with. Thank for all your help.....you really are a joy!!
 
It sounds like your recovery is going really well! I'm so glad to hear it!
 
Yep, I see my OS tomorrow and the topic of the day will be my right knee. I'm happy I've been able to pick in the garden this summer and put up pickles and start to have normal life again. But I know I need to try shots again or gel etc. to get some relief until my schedule for doing the TKR at the end of the year or first week in Jan. comes into play. We can all go back to that statement they make - you'll know when you're ready.
 
@jaschembra...So true. I bet any of us who have had 2 bad knees and had one replaced secretly hoped the other would behave itself...lol. Not to be though. Sounds like we will be having the same schedule for our final go round. It will be wonderful to have 2 new knees and have this part of the journey done with.
 
I was just discussing this with my knee twin at the pool today. My OS told me a lot of times people have an improvement with their other knee after the TKR - I wonder if he was giving me suggestive thoughts since I was under the influence of drugs (day 2) lol. However, we do get relief the first month(s) due to the heavy duty drugs and no activity. Then, we have relief for a few more months due to less activity. But once you start to get back to living life - that old bone on bone pain rears its ugly head!
 
My left knee was done Oct. 3,2016. Six months later my right knee was acting up really bad. I just decided then and there to do it. I knew it would be very painful again and all the icing elevating and being dependent on my husband for a few weeks but I wanted a normal life again. I wanted to hike and ride my bike. I knew my right knee wasn't going to let that happen. So on June 5,2017 I had the right one done. It has been more temperamental than the left during my recovery and at 7 weeks I can honestly say I'm glad I did it. I know by this time next year I will have two fabulous knees and the life I want. For me the surgical recovery and pain are easier than the years of pain I endured prior to surgery.
 
Since my new knee has been able to take on some of the responsibility, the old one is much better. It was bad for a while, but now much better. My OS has left it up to me as to when to do it. Never, I hope!
 
Great to hear things are better.

Most likely your next TKA will be smoother & trouble free.
 
Hello Every One......just a quick update. Today marks my 6 month anniversary. I must say things are going well and I continue to improve. Still a lot of stiffness in the morning and when I sit too long. I'm walking without aids at home but do use a cane when out and about. I think that's more of a safety measure than anything. I just don't want to fall if I find myself in an awkward situation.

I saw my OS last Monday and will be doing my left knee Nov.13th. UGH..........starting over just isn't what I wanted to do. My left knee is very painful and I think it is affecting the way I walk. Having one knee feel good and one that hurts just isn't working. So....let's just get on with it I say. It's going to have to be done at a certain point anyway.

What I do have going for me is this site with all the wonderful people I have met. You are all lifesavers and I mean that from the bottom of my heart. I have leaned on you when people out there were just not listening to me. I've also learned so much here as to how to help myself and I will be using all of that advice as my surgery gets near. Elevate and Ice and Medicate. When you know you need help with pain make them listen. I pray this knee replacement goes a little smoother than the last one. In the end though....I just want to get on with life itself !! Thank you all and have a great day.
 
that's encouraging to hear that you are doing so well and that you're optimistic (except for the "ugh" factor) about having your other knee replaced in November. now you can enjoy the rest of the summer and hopefully a beautiful autumn before winter sets in.:SUNsmile:
 
@Liam....Thank you and yes it will be nice to enjoy the rest of summer. I really think we're going to have an early fall here in Illinois but that's ok as Fall is my favorite time of the year. Have a great day!
 
Glad to hear that knee #1 is doing so well Crissy!! Enjoy these next three months as you can with the troublesome knee. Hopefully that will be a good length of time in between and all the smarties will be here to support you when you're ready.
 
@kmak....Thank you so much !! I will be glad when this journey is done with and I can get on with things I want to do. Hopefully with 2 good knees...lol!!
 
@crissyP . . . I love your attitude! You may not have wanted to get the second knee done so soon, but "Get on with it and get on with life" makes so much sense! I am a few weeks behind you (I will be 6 months on Aug.28) and I find it so encouraging that you are doing well. Enjoy the last weeks of summer and that early fall. I could use an early fall here - we've been above 90 for all but four days in the last six weeks.
 
@phrog Thank you so much. I knew we were close in our surgeries and you were going through some of the issues I was having. We're getting through them together. I really didn't want to even think of another surgery but my left knee hurts so bad it makes my new knee do all the work. Therefore my right knee says "What the heck"? At night the new knee does kinda throb and want to be taken care of. Walking is hard when only one leg will cooperate. So......surgery it is. I've learned from my mistakes with the first one so hopefully this time will be a little better. My Bonesmart buddies will probably get tired of hearing from me but I know I'll be needing all the help I can get. Thanks for responding and have a great day !!!!!
 
Of course you don't look forward to doing another surgery. Who would? But you know what you're doing, and you will be so much better off when you have two good knees. I know what you mean about walking with only one good leg. :bawl:That was me before surgery. One knee was completely destroyed and the other only almost completely destroyed, so my good leg was also bad. It's no way to live. You will have lots of friends here to support you!
 
@SusieShoes....Thank you.....I needed to hear that. You're right, it is no way to live. You can try and try to convince yourself you can handle it but in reality it's just not going to work. This site is a God send. So many good people who truly care. I'll be here everyday (actually I already am here everyday....lol) after surgery seeking help. Onward and upward I say. Have a great day !!
 
Hi Everyone.....Today's been a rough day. Pity Party for me I guess. I'm having my left knee replaced in November. At first I resisted but today I know it's a good decision. My right knee was replaced Feb.13th of this year. In the beginning I thought I would never say this but it's coming along really good. A few pinches here and there....but, after walking a bit they go away. Problem is....Ms. Left knee is killing me. Makes the right knee ache and is killing my back. Thought I might have an UTI so got tested and no infection. Facing reality...I think my left knee is throwing everything out of wack. Right knee is having to carry the load (Me) for both legs. Well, there you have it. I don't like hurting but will put up with it as I have no other choice. Hope your day is going far better. Hoping next post is a little more optimistic.
 
I understand not having a good leg. I too am facing having my non operated leg done, my Os says he will do it in Oct., but I'm going to try and hold off until January. I just can't face another surgery this close, I just had the left one done in July. Yes it does kill your back doesn't it, walking with an unbalanced gait.
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom