TKR Walking without an aid?<

Well, there's no saying for certain, but I would just chalk it up to the new knee getting used to doing work period. It could be there was a sudden increase in the work load and that might have led to more soreness, but your replaced knee was bound to be a bit stiff anyway. Chances are it'll get used to being the "good" leg by the time of your next surgery. Remember, it can be sore and still be an excellent "good" knee. My right knee was my good knee from the very start, and it was just as freshly operated on as the left. It was just the less painful one! But it functioned very well and it recovered splendidly all the while it was being the one taking the greater load of work.

It's amazing how those numb spots wake up. It's like all of sudden one day they go "Yoo Hoo! I'm back!"
 
@phrog......Thank you so much for your thoughts and kindness. Prayers are appreciated ...... I need all I can get. (((Hugs)))
 
@SusieShoes......I'm sure you're right. Why is it we have to worry over every little thing. Thank you so much for your help and time!!
 
just catching up on your thread and wishing you a more comfortable recovery for your next knee replacement on november 13. poor you with those painful blisters ~ fingers crossed it doesn't happen again. i'm another one that still has stiffness and pain for a couple of minutes after sitting or driving, and then standing up, having to engage my core and pause for a minute before walking. if i just stand up and start off right away, i'm limping, so best to take my time. take good care of yourself as you're awaiting the surgery.
 
@crissyP, good luck with the impending surgery. Don't blame you for being nervous, you've done this before and know what's involved. You also know you can survive it :yes:

We're here for you :)
 
@Liam....Thank you so much! Stiffness must come along with this surgery. Hopefully one day it will just disappear! I have my fingers and toes crossed hoping things will go a little better this time. Yes I know what's coming and I'm sure I have learned a lot from my friends on this site as to what to avoid. We shall see?

@rubyyarn ....Thank you for the well wishes. You're right....I know I can survive but I also know I have to work at it to get to the light at the end of the tunnel. It's easier when you know you have people who will be right there by your side through the whole ordeal!
 
@crissyP, are you still doing exercises for your right knee? If so, may I post you my questions to give you advice?
 
@Josephine......I mostly do heel slides in the morning and before I go to bed. I also find myself doing leg lifts and counting to 10. Otherwise.....I walk...and walk. I go about my everyday activities and finding I'm mostly stiff in the morning before getting out of bed to start the day.
 
Okay - perhaps you would answer these for me then

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how swollen is your leg compared to these?
[Bonesmart.org] Walking without an aid?<


4. what is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

5. are you icing your knee at all? If so, how often and for how long?

6. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

7. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

8. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.
 
@Josephine
1. Pain is a 2
2. 2 Tylenol 650mg in the morning and before bed.
3. Between slight and moderate.
4. I don't know numbers but I can straighten my leg and can bend my leg almost back to my thigh.
5. No icing
6. No elevating
7. I do housework, shopping, laundry, cooking, run after Grandkids, etc.
8. Heel slides 2 times a day 10 to 15 reps
Leg lifts 2 times a day...count of 10.
No Pt
 
1. Pain is a 2
Okay
2. 2 Tylenol 650mg in the morning and before bed.
Okay
3. Between slight and moderate.
Well if you have any swelling, that is a form of pain so you need to up your Tylenol to 1,000mg 4 times a day - 6hrly.
4. I don't know numbers but I can straighten my leg and can bend my leg almost back to my thigh.
Good
5. No icing
6. No elevating
Okay
7. I do housework, shopping, laundry, cooking, run after Grandkids, etc.
Okay
8. Heel slides 2 times a day 10 to 15 reps
Leg lifts 2 times a day...count of 10.
If your ROM is as good as you say then you don't need to do ANY exercises at all! Besides which, once you can do leg lifts, you don't need to do them any more. So stop both!
 
Hello Everyone.....been away for a few days getting ready for the second knee replacement. Monday the 13th of Nov. will be the day the left knee is replaced. Nerves are definitely starting to set in as are panic attacks. Been trying to get my ducks in a row and hoping this time will go even a little smoother than the last time did. One thing I will do is elevate and ice till the cows come home. Can't seem to get my bedroom set up for a comfortable stay but will get it figured out eventually. What are your thoughts on using a Lounge Doctor on a recliner? Last time I didn't elevate high enough because it was painful. I bought the Lounge Doctor and what a difference. Can it be used on the recline pushed all the way back? Will check back in a few days. Thanks all and have a great day!!!!
 
I used it in my recliner. It felt wonderfully! Good luck with your surgery next Monday!
 
Hi, Chrissy - you are a brave lady and will be on my mind on the 13th. And you are so organized! Did you really get your Christmas decorating done? And now you are doing a great job getting ducks in a row for your next new knee. You deserve the Knee-rah Award of Merit for your preparedness and spirit. Hugs and good wishes- janet
 
Hello @crissyP - just reading through your thread for the 1st time and you are so brave as well as many others on this forum who have gone through this a 2nd time. OMG... I am cringing and I get nauseated thinking about doing my right one which is actually better than my left. I like you had no idea of the extensive recovery this requires and it's been downright depressing. So I'll be watching to see how you come out of this. I'm sure like many others you will be so happy you had it done. God bless...
 
@sistersinhim....Thank you so much for the encouragement. I tried the Lounge Doctor on the recliner and it was comfortable!

@phrog......Yes I truly am ready for Christmas (gifts bought too !). Only because I know I won't be able to get out and shop after next Monday. Love the holidays and don't want the family to come and visit a bare home. Keep me in your thoughts for a speedy (we know that means at least a year or more) recovery. I appreciate you looking after me.

@funkymuse.....This surgery would not even have been in the cards had my left knee not gone haywire all at once. I told everybody Never Again!!!!!!! But, this knee is so much more painful than the right ever was...almost unbearable. Then the right knee wants sympathy too so it aches from bearing all the pain.

I remember seeing a fellow patient at my first Dr.'s appointment after the first surgery. He was already getting ready for his other knee to be replaced. (10 days after surgery) . I'm getting physically sick hearing him talk about it and thinking he sure has courage. His attitude was it had to be done and might as well get it out of the way. His poor wife was pale and said she couldn't talk him out of it. Today I sit thinking and wondering how he did??

Please keep me in your prayers. I so appreciate you all !!

It is a long recovery and it will be worth it when everything come together as it will. Just gotta get there !!!
 
oh my... I am with you on getting physically sick thinking of it! But you must be past that at this point... I'm not as yet... but you are headed in and are way ahead of me.. so yes huge prayers and this one is going to be easier!!! Yes! Positive thinking!!!
 
Best wishes for your upcoming surgery, at least you know what to expect this time about recovery. I’ll be praying.
 
As @Jockette says, at least you know what to expect this time. That's about the only positive thing that's going to get me through it when I take the plunge. I'm not 100% sold on my cement less implant and OS until I get closer to no pain/discomfort (I would like to go this same route). But like you, there are several things I do now that miss bionic steps up to the plate and miss natural causes bone/bone pain.

I will be thinking of you and keeping you in my Bonesmartie prayers. You will do great!
:friends:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom