Guest viewing is limited

TKR Walking without an aid?<

I'll be thinking of you and sending good thoughts for you on Monday. As others have said, you know so much more this time around and while you know it will be tough going at first, perhaps you will be less stressed as you know what to expect. We'll all be here to support you when you need it and will be cheering you on from afar. You got this!!:thumb:
 
Good luck on your surgery!!! I had my RTKR on 9/27/17 and had originally thought I would get the left one done in December. I have reconsidered this decision. I'm now thinking I will give it a year to fully heal and get the other one done next September. I don't know how people do the bilateral!
 
Hi Everyone....well, Monday is my day to get the left knee replaced. I thank all of you for your thoughts and prayers. Scared to death but ready for this to be over with. Love you all and will talk to you again when able. Keep the prayers coming I will need them !
 
Will be thinking of you on Monday. Good luck and let us know when you are on the other side!
 
My prayers are with you for a successful surgery and easy recovery!
 
Sending healing thoughts and prayers for your surgery Monday. :praying:
 
Sending good thoughts your way today! Hope everything is going well. :friends:
 
Hello my dear and very loved friends ! Finally getting somewhat back to normal after Left total knee replacement on Nov. 13th...2017. Everything went smoothly and I cannot say how well I am feeling. I am just shocked at how different this all went. I'm not saying there isn't pain but I will say it is a different kind of pain. The kind you can tolerate because you know the excruciating pain is no longer deep inside your knee.

We made sure there was Purell in every room.....bedding is changed every other day and you can smell a light bleach aroma in every room. I'm determined to keep Cellulitis at bay if at all possible. The last dance with that character just about did me in. If I get it now it won't be because we didn't give it our best try to keep it away.

Today was my first appointment with the surgeon. I was concerned with swelling and some redness. He took his time and looked it over thoroughly. Said everything is looking good and to keep doing what we're doing. Still on pain meds and what a difference it makes not having to fight pain and worry over every little thing that comes at you. He also asked me if I did realize it takes time for swelling to go down and even longer for the knee to completely heal. Ice, Elevate, and stay on top of the pain.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. I've kept them in my heart and they sure do give me comfort. Got a ways to go but having you with me makes it an easier journey to follow. Love you All !!!!!!! (((Hugs)))
 
Great to hear from you Chrissy! I've been looking for your post surgery post - and it sounds like you are doing really well so far on round 2, particularly keeping the pain managed and the cellulitis at bay. I hope you have a nice, restful Thanksgiving with lots of folks waiting on you.
 
So good to hear from you! I’m so glad this time around seems better. I’m glad you have an understanding doctor.

Sending Best wishes and lots of hugs!
 
I've been checking for you daily and am so glad to see this report. It sounds as if things are going well and you are making excellent progress. Hip hip! Hooray!
 
Yeah! Sounds like you’re doing really well. Good to see your report.
 
wonderful report crissyP ~ sounds like you've benefitted from the experience of your first knee replacement and all you've learned here on Bone Smart. best wishes to you for a smooth recovery.:flwrysmile:
 
Welcome to the otherside, for a second time!
Glad to hear everything is going smoother for you this time.

Here is copy of the recovery recommendations so you do not have to search your thread for the first list.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds


We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
 
Happy New Year everyone !!!!! Just a little update on replacement #2 (left knee). Fabulous is all I can say. Honestly had 2 days of excruciating pain (expected) and then almost nothing. I sit back and wonder what in the world went wrong with the right knee replacement that has had it's ups and downs still. I'm almost 7 weeks out for the newest replacement and am easing into walking without any aids.

As far as replacement #1 (right knee) I'm just a little over 10 months out. The inside of the knee still pinches and sometimes feels like it's wanting to hang up on something. Saw the surgeon and he said a tiny part of the replacement had slipped down as he could see on the x-rays. Watching it for awhile. Please dear God I hope that doesn't mean I'm in for more surgery. On top of that.....sciatica has come to the point where something is going to have to be done with that. I had an ablation about 2 years ago and will likely need another one soon. I also hear chiropractic care is good. We'll see.

Have a great New Year everyone !! Onward and upwards for all of us !!!!!
 
@crissyP - It's so very good to see you here and learn that your second new knee is behaving well. Now if that first one just cooperates without more surgery and your sciatica can be easily taken care of, a real happy dance can be performed. :spin::dancy::egypdance:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom