TKR Walking Post Op

@SusieShoes I am in awe of you, girlfriend! I do understand that pain is pain and pain after TKR has a reward down the road hopefully.

It is so interesting to learn that having them both done at same time and recovery experience was different for each knee.

Did they ever suggest why one was harder. Does it depend on how severely degenerated each knee is?

I do understand knowing you are one and done must be somewhat of a comfort. I think going in for number two will give me a similar sense of relief too. At least once number two is done the only thing left is recovery. The support of BoneSmart advisors like you is so helpful. Thank you.
 
That's exactly it, and you sense it happening for you soon: the only thing left is recovery. It's really liberating!

My OS says it's usually the case with bilateral replacements that one knee is a little behind the other. "Behind" can mean many things, of course. In my case the left knee was much worse off. It had bone spurs shredding soft tissue and the ends of the bone had deformed. No wonder Righty healed faster! Think of your two knees. Each is a distinct individual in terms of what it needs to be put right and also in how it recovers.
 
@SusieShoes that makes sense. My OS has suggested my 2nd TKR may be easier. I postponed doing right one far too long which OS said was responsible for lengthier recovery do dont want to make same mistake with the left leg. I understand that liberated feeling on the other side. Cant wait.
 
Well my OS who did my right TKR in May is retiring so today I visited with a new Surgeon. Really liked him fortunately. He agreed with my old OS the left knee is shot too. So now on schedule to get left TKR in December. Back in May I swore I would never do the other one and many of you assured me that time helps you forget. You were right. The pain in my left knee is enough of an incentive I guess. This time I go in with my eyes wide open with more realistic expectation on recovery thanks to all of the wonderful folks on Bonesmart. I think knowing what to expect and that it will get better in time is reassuring. Furstvgo round I had my doubts. For me I think it was right at 4 months post op when I felt it was worth it. Maybe knee #2 May get there sooner
 
@Pamjam68, sounds like you are doing the right thing. At least you know where to come for support and encouragement.

Looking forward to seeing how you do.
 
You're on the way to two new knees! Many of us, myself included, still have to break down and schedule ours. Good for you going ahead and doing it!
 
Hi Pam, as you had yours on the same day as me I was wondering how you are? Mine is ok from some aspects and not so great from others. So the good first:- Walking well and quite long distances with no pain in the knee itself. Legs nice and straight and the chronic bowing and bent legs gone. I am definitely better off than pre-op. Now the not so good. Like my two year old TKR, the bend isn't great. About 95 deg, similar to pre-op but two year old one is barely 85-90. This makes stairs and getting out of chairs difficult. Ankle tends to swell which it never did before, still looks a bit swollen and bigger than other knee, and feels stiff, especially after standing for long or being imobile. Lots of clunking in the joint but that doesn't really bother me but both knees give a pain on the outside in transition from straight to bent (Seems like it's the lateral collateral ligament to me). Some tendon type pain in the back of knee from time to time. I found a photo of me 40 years ago on an athletic track and I had a knee bandage on so you can see what I've been up against! Hoping your story is a bit better but still some time to improve I guess.
Dave
 
@sistersinhim I understand I have gone through the “should I/or should I not bother. My first one was tougher than I thought it would be (think I had unrealistic expectations). I needed a push really and the new surgeon convinced me that taking shots was a temporary fix. I know everybody on here can relate to my desire for two good knees that allow me to walk as far as I want without worrying about the knees giving up on me. I am praying for a good outcome. As the newOS said you only have two knees so you know after this you are done if all goes well. He has a point. I will keep y
 
@dcweather I am always interested to hear about other’s experience with TKR. Initially I had thought I would get it done and be good to go within a couple of months but as I said it took till I hit the 4 month post op milestone before I felt it was worth it. I still have discomfort but the OS thinks I am favoring the new knee because the left one has deteriorated hence the decision to get the left one done. I can walk 3 miles a day no problem but once I get over the 3 mile mark my knee starts playing up. This is certainly not enough to allow me to do my normal routine but as many have told me on BoneSmart I have to give it more time. I can relate to the noisy knee issue and can’t say I like that either but OS says quite normal and eventually I won’t notice it, we shall see. All things considered I am glad I made the commitment to get TKR on right knee and look forward to having the other one behind me. 2018 will be known as the “year of the knees” in our house when I was grounded from traveling. Hoping 2019 will find me dancing up the aisle of the plane as I continue working in my bucket list.
 
I think you have a good attitude and you will soon be travelling the world again. Always look forward, I try to but can be a bit of a pessimist at times! Good luck with the second one :)
 
My knees made me give up traveling, too. They got so bad (painful) that on our last cruise I didn’t even get off the ship or do anything in port but sit on the deck and watch other people getting off to have fun. Mr. Shoes suggested we travel to Europe, because I’ve always wanted to go there, and I said no, I wouldn’t be able to walk around the sights, or visit castles or museums or any of the things I’d dreamed of doing. Being in Europe is different from seeing it.

Mr. Shoes is planning to retire soon and I’m pretty sure he’d like to have a wife who can travel with him and enjoy our time together on something other than a sofa. :snork:

Now that I can walk again — two new knees! No pain! Healthier! — we’ve scheduled another cruise and will be going to Europe and Australia. Because they’re there, and we’re here, and life is short.

You are going to have so much fun working down your bucket list!
 
@SusieShoes i can so relate to your story. Me and my husband love Asia but the past few trips I found myself bowing out of activities I really wanted to do knowing I would slow the others down. This was tough because until the knees began to deteriorate I would be leading the pack. So I vowed no more Asian trips till I had two good knees. So that gives me an additional incentive. Without the travel incentive not sure I would be chomping at the bit to do it again so soon. This is first year we hace no travelled in many years and I miss it. Hoping 2019 will be there year I return to having two good knees. I can’t wait. BoneSmart has me better informed for the next surgery so I am ready to get it done.
 
Well I have scheduled TKR #2 for December. My original TKR is still not pain free but the left knee has deteriorated so much since my surgery in May I have no choice really. I had to find a new OS as my original OS retired. New Dr feels when I get the second (left knee) done it should help the right one do better. Anybody had similar experience and if so did second TKR help. Can think of better things to do over the Christmas Holiday but looking forward to going into 2019 with this year behind me. I only have two knees so hopefully this will be last knee surgery I will be undergoing
 
Pamjam68,
Glad you have a surgery date for your second knee, let us know the exact surgery date and a moderator will add it to your signature, Thanks!

You are only half way through recovery with your right TKR, it still needs time to heal. Now you will have twins about 6 months apart, and will be done.
 
@pumkin thanks for the encouraging words. I had not planned in two in the one year but Dr said leaving it was nit a good idea so I am proceeding. God willing December 17th is my surgery date. I am going back to UK to see my family before surgery knowing I can’t do the long haul fligh fir few months post op. I dud not find BoneSmart till I was post op but this time I have a wealth of information thanks to this site. I realize from what you all tell me that no two knees are the same but I know what to expect procedure wise. Thanks to all who helped me through TKR #1 and looking forward to your support for #2.
 
Well my second Conformis knee replacement took place yesterday. I am so relieved. Had to change surgeons as OS who did my first in May so had to find someone else. I made a good decision he was fantastic and post op he has amazed me with his aftercare.

Last time I did some home PT and four weeks at hospital but may just settle for a few weeks of home OT with supervision then assume responsibility for my own recovery,
 
Well done you!

I'll leave you with our Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds


We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
 
I feel ecstatic to have my second TKR behind me. I had to choose a new surgeon after surgeon who did my first TKR in May retired, WOW did I make a great choice, I got home next day and am doing great. Those of you who have been through this knows what a great feeling it is. Best Christmas present ever,
 
@Pamjam68 you will notice that I have merged your three threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if necessary

There was also this notice in the post that Celle left earlier with the recovery guidelines
While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Thanks so much for complying with this. :)
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom