Guest viewing is limited

TKR Walking Post Op

Almost 4 months post op TKR i was having some issues with low back pain when walking any distance. so I decided to try a chiropractor (never been to one in my life but I was desperate). Bottom line after X-rays he said I have ““pelvic obliquity” uneven hips and said with treatment and specific exercises it could help. I am going to give it a shot as after just one treatment the low back pain when walking seems to have eased. Anybody else had issues like this and sought chiropractic help for it.
 
@Pamjam68 i had problems after my THR. They explained with new joints wewalk differently and everything realigns after years of compensating
 
By the time my surgery was done my very high deductible had been met so I was able to see my chiropractor twice a week for about a month for only $9 a visit!!! Regularly $40. She stayed away from my knee but kept everything else in good shape. I started seeing her 5 weeks post op.
 
@Pamjam68, for years (before my PKR), I suffered from low back and hip pain that would radiate down my thigh. I tried rehab, physical therapy, meds, you name it! Nothing worked. I finally gave in to the guys on my bowling team to give chiropractic a try (ironic message here, my team was sponsored by a chiropractor!). After a few weeks of adjustments, my pain was completely gone! I go once a month for an adjustment (have for more than 6 years now) and have not had a recurrence of back pain except when I’ve been restricted from getting treatment while recovering from surgery. As soon as I restarted, pain goes away. I look at my visits as “preventative medicine” for my back and hips!

I couldn’t wait to get back to my routine following my PKR!
 
@NavyGunns I am so encouraged after just one visit. I think it is making a believer out of me. Your experience makes me think I am in the right track. Thanks for sharing
 
@Pamjam68, my pleasure! I can’t say I believe that chiropractors can cure all ills as some indicate, but I know mine has eliminated my issue which makes me very happy. :yay:
 
A good chiropractor is worth his/her weight in gold. I’m glad to hear you had an encouraging first visit.

You might also want to think about getting some new shoes since the ones worn before surgery get certain wear patterns in them that aren’t right now that our knee is straight. I was hoping to hold out until I get my left knee done later this year, but finally broke down and got a pair of Vionics last week and oh my good granny gracious, why did I wait so long. They are awesome.
 
I’ll weigh in about the new shoes: They do make a difference! :idea:
 
@chicklet @SusieShoes interesting I had not thought of that either. My calves on both legs were so darn stiff as if I had run a marathon. I saw on The blog that chiropractic care helps so gave it a shot and while he said there is a way to go I felt some relief immediately lower back pain gone and stiffness is less. Who knows what adding new shoes will do. I will tell my husband it was t my idea but my Bobes art friends (lol) I love shoe shopping. Thanks to you all for your wealth of experience. Love BoneSmart.
 
@Pamjam68, my daughter noticed on Sunday that my operated leg not only looked staighter than the other, but longer. I asked my PT about it on Monday and he measured and realized that it is actually 3/8" longer! He did check my pelvis but the hips are NOT oblique, so his recommendation was to get heel lifts to even out the other leg until I'm ready to have that knee done.

Apparently it's not a common thing, but my legs had such significant bowing that the process of putting in the new knee also straightened and lengthened it.
 
@CaliCat I understand. I had a significant differential before surgery and my surgeon said when I get the left TKR it will better align. I have custom inserts I have had years to address it and surgeon said they did not need replacing which I was glad about at $450 a pair. However I am not convinced the old inserts are good. The X-rays the chiropractor took clearly showed my hips out of sync and he likened what he needs to do to help to “jacking up a car” I am so anxious to return to walking distances I am happy to try anything. A Chiropractor had never been on my radar but worth a try and this guy seems very knowledgeable and explains in great detail the why and what for. It is interesting to hear from others who are struggling with similar issues.
 
Well went back to see my OS today as my left knee was hurting more than the one than the TKR knee I git done in May. After X-rays etc he showed me Bone on Bone situation and said the left knee needs replacing to have relief. Was not wanting to do this again this year. My right TKR is still painful so don’t relish the thought. However being realistic I know it will only get worse and when I go in for this TKR I know it will be my last. Think I will do it in December so I can be waited on over Christmas. I see so many of you got both TKR’s within a short time frame and survived so maybe I can too.
 
I saw my OS today to get MRI results for the right knee as the pain had gotten unbearable. Same story as you..bone on bone, torn meniscus and thick tendon so I've scheduled my rtkr for October 18th. Just didn't want to be too incapacitated for Christmas since our daughter and our grandchildren live with us now. Like you said we will survive!
 
@Txmomgmom3 you are I have paralleled each other this year huh. I have a trip to visit family I can’t reschedule but I am hoping to get it done with enough time to enjoy Christmas. Let’s hope 2019 will be the year we oth get back to being able to walk pain free.
 
@Pamjam68 Yes we have ! And we are both in Texas lol. That was my reasoning for doing it in Oct having Christmas in mind. My husband is a good cook and all but there are just some things we have for Christmas dinner that no one can seem to get right lol. But it will definitely be scaled back! Enjoy your trip to see your family. And yes 2019 will be our year!!
 
@Txmomgmom3 you will be ahead of me this time. I will be cheering you on virtually and praying both of our final TKRs go well. Loving the word “final” thank God we only have two knees.
 
No kidding!! Surprised I have the nerve to do it again! Thank you and I will be praying for you as Well!
 
The right time to have your second TKR is... when you're ready to go through recovery again. Some people do it right away and others wait for years. If you're ready to do it, go for it!

You will be very happy to have two good, strong knees... and they will eventually be painless. :)
 
@SusieShoes agreed. I think my Dr telling me it will get nothing but worse was a motivator. Why wait? I long to be able to walk pain free and I am hoping this will be the last hurdle towards that goal. I worry the longer I wait the more reluctant I will become to do it again. My right knee still not 100% pain free but even it were I am still dealing with the pain in left knee. I still wonder how anybody can do both at once. My surgeon wouldn’t do both at once. I was so ignorant going into the first TKR but having done one and discovered Bobesmart I will be much better prepared to handle the second one.
 
I worry the longer I wait the more reluctant I will become to do it again.

That does happen sometimes, though it can also help if the memory of recovery fades. I was worried I would be one of the "not doing this again!" types, so I just got both done at once so I wouldn't have to!

I still wonder how anybody can do both at once.

It was surprisingly easy. My knees were so bad before surgery that they weren't really all that much worse off right after surgery. :umm: My left (worse) knee actually hurt less. It was kind of amazing. I had two recovering knees at the same time and one got better more quickly than the other, but mostly I had a very ordinary TKR recovery. The plus side is that once I recovered I had two good knees. :yes!:
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom