TKR Walking Post Op

has been very interesting to see how
Since I’ve been on Bonesmart I have been really surprised at how many conflicting opinions they have!

This is not your first time around, you know what to do and not do.

Next time I will not be dealing with any PTs other than the obligatory ones in the hospital, though I won’t be doing anything with them that I don’t feel is in my best interest.
 
@HoneyB i think that makes sense to me too. knee #2 deteriorating so soon after TKR#1 is probably because it was overworked during recovery of TKR #1. I just long for days when they both feel good. No pain and strong enough to feel confident enough to stride it out for a brisk walk.
 
He just reminded me that TKR is an invasive procedure that comes with a fair amount of pain.
He knows it has pain, though a fair amount is putting it mildly! He sounds kind of cold and distant to me.
 
5 weeks post op on TKR #2 with different surgeon so completely different experience. Surgeon #2 gave me pain meds for just 2 weeks. My original surgeon gave me meds on request up to 8 weeks. With TKR #1, by weeks 8 I was able to ween off to Tylenol no problem. But with surgeon #2 I got half strength pain pill 5 mg not 10 and for just two weeks and he made it clear he would not be issuing any more.

I tried to soldier on but I was miserable so went to my own Dr who fortunately was more in line with surgeon #1 on pain medicine. I know how many he told me not to do after surgeries but I can’t help it. I feel I am not walking as well thus go round as I was with TKR #1.

My wound healed faster first go round also. For those members who had both knees done in same year I am interested to hear whether you found #2 harder to recover from. I am more knowledgeable now thanks to BoneSmart as I was in recovery from TKR1 before I discovered BoneSmart unfortunately,
 
You've had two major surgeries with in about 6 months of each other. Your body is still trying to heal knee #1 and now you've added knee #2 to the mix. No wonder you feel like it's healing slower. Also, with #2 taking on all the responsibility during #1 recovery it was probably in worse shape than #1. Try to be patient with both your knee and your body. It's doing the best it can.
 
I had both knees done within 6months and have definitely found recovery from #2 harder than #1. #2 deteriorated quite badly while #1 was recovering and I wonder if that is making #2 harder. Just think though how great we will feel once both knees are pain free and we have our lives back.
 
@Mollymax thanks you are correct one had extra work this past year. I can’t wsit for the day when I no longer have two knees that are painful and slow.
 
Today six weeks post op on TKR #2 and I lost ROM and flexion so talk about disappointed, I have had in-home PT three days a week and done exercises recommended on sschedule for past six weeks so was gutted to go from 105 back down to 99 on ROM and from -3 to -11 on straightening, has anybody else experienced deterioration while in the midst of recovery? Not sure how that happened so I am totally confused. I asked PT to measure twice to be sure.
 
@Pamjam68, I’ll bet your knee is swollen and feel stiff too, right? That’s signs you are doing too much to your knee and expecting too much out of it. Back off from the PT exercises. Have them focus more on massage and tens to reduce inflammation. Give it a few weeks and you’ll probably get it back.
 
@NavyGunns thanks for encouraging words. That’s exactly what I thought. They seemed to double down today but I think I am going to back off for a week and see what happens. It was so discouraging because I have diligently followed instructions from my OS and PT.
 
Today six weeks post op on TKR #2 and I lost ROM and flexion so talk about disappointed, I have had in-home PT three days a week and done exercises recommended on schedule for past six weeks so was gutted to go from 105 back down to 99 on ROM and from -3 to -11 on straightening, has anybody else experienced deterioration while in the midst of recovery?
All that PT is keeping your knee inflamed and swollen. Stop all of the PT and exercises for a few weeks and let your knee calm down. Doing your daily activities is all you need to do. Your knee is not being helped with all the exercises.
 
I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 
Anyone else had issues with subcutaneous dissolvable stitches penetrating tne skin. I had two stitches on the bend in my incision. Went to Dr’s office two weeks ago and nurse trimmed them and warned me this problem may reoccur. I can’t actually see a stitch but the area has a patch of dry skin and redness where it was and tender to the touch. Not weeping or moist but certainly tender when I bend my knee. Has anybody else had issues with stitches post op? I don’t want to go back to Drs if it will clear up on its own.
 
@Pamjam68,

I too had a problem with sutures. I actually had a suture abscess and took antibiotics for 5 days. No pus but mine was “juicy” looking so they decided to treat it. I had sent a picture to the PA. Two weeks later I wanted my OS to see it in person and he checked it out and it was fine.
Took several weeks to completely scab over and not make me nervous. But I’m a chronic worrier.
My point is, if it doesn’t look infected and your OS office has seen it, I doubt you have anything to worry about.

If you do a search for undissolved sutures in BoneSmart, Josephine addresses this issue. Between her and my doctor, I felt better about it.
I had several other sutures which came out on their own and weren’t red.
 
Anyone else had issues with subcutaneous dissolvable stitches penetrating the skin. I don’t want to go back to Drs if it will clear up on its own.
Yes it is a common issue but it will always need proper medical attention. Never try to deal with it yourself or neglect it.
 
@gia2cats great this does make me feel better. It is stinging like crazy but doesnt look any different in appearance. This was my 2nd TKR and first one was such a very neat low maintenance incision I was hoping furvsame thus tine. I had to find a new OS as my first one retired. I wonder why s
 
@Josephine thank you for your help.

I am going to go in to Drs tomorrow for a wound check for which I don’t need an appointment. I realize from reading data on here about issues with sutures. It is not that uncommon. My first TKR incision was so ‘pretty’ from the outset and had no external sutures. The second surgeon put external sutures at top and bottom of incision which I got out ten days post op and then 6 weeks post op there appeared a stitch penetrating the incision on bend of my knee.

Went in and nurse removed 2 sutures that had “peeked” through. Nurse did say there was a chance it could happen again but this time not visible to my eye but tender to touch in same area. Not weeping or moist but definitely tender.

I know you should not compare but hard not to compare the incisions on my first one I had no external stitches and it has faded so well since May you can barely see it. The one from December surgery looked different from the outset with lumps and bumps that despite massaging are not budging and the spot on bend of knee where stitches came through is very tender.

Maybe I need to give it time but like most in here I worry about infections. BoneSmart has been such a wonderful resource
 
OK folks anybody had issues with internal sutures not dissolving well? I have a painful pucker at top of my incision and I can feel stitches beneath skin and it is very tender. I am 11 weeks post op now. I had to have several stitches removed by nurse on the bend of my knee that had protruded through incision but now this “lumpy bump” at top of incision is tender and uncomfortable, I never had any issues with my wound on my first TKR but incision on TKR #2 has been Problematic. My GP said whoever closed did not do as good a job as the first one.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom