Guest viewing is limited

TKR Walking Post Op

@Pamjam68

I’m one week ahead of you on TKR #2. I had the first one done almost exactly one year ago and am very relieved to have both knees done now too!

Have loved reading your thread and appreciate your positive attitude :)

On my last knee, I was really questioning this TKR decision until about month 4 and then a miracle happened! Almost no more pain!

I did have some pain in the form of stiffness and swelling, but no more pings when I hit my foot against the car while getting out, etc.

Anyway - thinking of everyone on BoneSmart and feeling very greatful you’re all here. Been reading old and new threads in the wee hours over the past 11 days.

Take good care of yourself, Pamjam68! All done!

Georgia
 
@ebungalow I understand. That second TKR was looming over my head so knowing it’s now done is the best Christmas gift. I have a long way to go with Physical therapy to get control of swelling etc but so grateful to be now in the driver’s seat for my recovery. Wishing you all the best in your recovery. It is so exciting to know that soon we will have two good knees with no more pain. Sounds like heaven doesn’t it. BoneSmart was a fantastic resource for me too.
 
Well overnight was a challenge. I just could not get comfortable no matter how I tried. I was in pain and not due for any pain meds so tossed and turned and eventually settled for a basic pillow between my legs and must have drifted off but missed pain meds schedule. Of course by I woke up I was hurting. My OS sent me out with 20 hydrocodone 5/325 for every 4-6 hours but not scheduled to see him again for 10 days because of Holiday so I am thinking I will run out of pain meds before then. Not looking forward to that. Yikes
 
I found that if I'd get up and walk a little bit, when that night time pain hit, it would help calm it down. You could try that. Of course, icing and elevating are always recommended for as long as you can. I iced and elevated the whole time I was sitting or in bed for at least the first month. That helped to keep my pain level down.
 
@sistersinhim yes I may try that tonight. Yesterday was my first PT session post op and knee still very swollen so I expected to pay for it. I am gong to zero in on ice and elevate starting today.
 
@Pamjam68 how are you? You had your first TKR before me as I was in June but I am a week ahead of you for 2nd TKR. Its been interesting reading your thread as like you I am desperate to get back to my long distance walking. Both knees were bone on bone and my walking was suffering badly I went from walking 26 miles to being unable to walk 2 miles without pain. I managed to do a 4 mile walk after first TKR but like you my other knee was so bad it was stopping me doing more. I was so glad my OS agreed to do the other knee. I was lucky she was so understanding about me wanting to get my life back and get walking before I got too old. Sounds like your OS was very understanding too. I would be very interested to hear how your recovery goes and how both your knees let you back into your walking. Have you a goal /time you are aiming for? Everyone on here are so good in keeping us right - I wanted to up my mileage too quickly after first knee but thanks to advice on here I didn't. I can't thank everyone enough for their help. God luck with your recovery
 
@Mollymax nice to hear from a fellow TKR trainee. I am doing good and feel much better today. I had surgery late afternoon Monday and got home Wednesday. My first PT session was Friday. Last night I was feeling it and knee was quite swollen as I hobbled into bed. Struggled in the night but finally dropped off and after getting back on meds schedule feeling better. I am so hoping this is the final step in getting my walking legs back. I miss my rambling group and even my solo jaunts. I have my eye set on a vacation that involves lots of walking in May 2019. My OS said that was a realistic goal so I will be working diligently to help make that goal a reality. To be honest I was very surprised how quickly the second knee went south after my first surgery. However, talking to folks on here and in Drs offices etc it is more common than I realized. Hope your recovery goes good and we can keep up with each other as our surgery dates are similar. I will be cheering you on and hope we both get our walking legs back on schedule. Good Luck
 
@Pamjam68 I had my knee done on Wed 12th and got out on Fri 14th so I have been at home a week now and today was first trip out. I too was surprised how quickly my right knee deteriorated after getting the left one done. It was scary and I felt I had made a mistake getting it done as before that I was at least walking big miles even though it was in pain. I worried that I wouldn't get back to walking so I am really hoping having two new knees will let me back out. Its good to know your OS said May is a realistic goal. I had wanted to do a walk in June but felt that was too soon so I have planned for an event in August and one in Sept so that is my goal for next year. Good luck with your recovery. It will be good watching how your walking is coming on and this will keep me encouraged to get out. Of course we need to give our new knees time to heal before attempting anything major.
 
Last edited:
Well 9 days post op abd my twenty (20) 5/325 hydrocodone are gone. Today nurse took dressing off it looks good but I haveca PT session scheduled fir 4 pm and no pain medicine left. My first OS sent me home with 40 10/325 hydrocodone but this Dr gave half as many and half as strong. I understand the concern with opioids but my history shows I stopped taking them as soon as the serious pain subsided so not an abuser. Hoping the Drs office will provide at least another weeks supply. The script read to take every four hours but I pushed it back to every eight hours and by the 8 th Hour got there I was needing the help. Has anybody else had an issue with getting pain meds.is thus the new norm ...if so it’s not much fun and makes recovery PT harder.
 
This early in your recovery you don’t need PT, and it shouldn’t hurt anyway.

Keep in mind, it’s not exercising that gets our range of motion back, it’s Time:

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Exercise as in strength training is counter-productive and in the early weeks does more harm than good. Normal activity is the key to success.
 
You don't have to go to PT, especially if you are having extra pain afterwards. That means that PT is setting your recovery back, not helping. Only do things that don't hurt at the time or for 24 hours afterwards. You want it to heal, not set that healing back!
 
@Jockette i totally agree with you. This OS is very different than my first and set up home PT throughout the holiday. I am not going to overdo asjust got dressing off today by visiting nurse. My first OS gave me all the pain medicine I needed through about 4 weeks then I no longer needed them and stopped. Had no issue with them. He has retired so had to find a new OS. He gives a plethora of different meds including gaberpantin, Celebrex and methocarbomal which previous dr didn’t. Hard for this layman to understand how/why OS works differently. On the positive side surgeon did a great job and wound looks great. I don’t see the OS till January 2nd because of holidays etc.
 
He gives a plethora of different meds including gaberpantin, Celebrex and methocarbomal which previous dr didn’t.
Isn't it strange how different that doctors can be. If your first knee's pain control worked, why not asking your current OS if you can go back to it? It can't hurt to ask!
 
@sistersinhim yes for sure all drs do seem to operate differently. Not a fan if how hydrocodone makes me feel but does allow for a good night’s sleep. Good news is I know this is all temporary. Brighter days ahead.
 
I would think you could ask for more pain meds --- your history shows you didn't have trouble getting off them before. Don't make yourself miserable -- even though you are cutting back I expect you'll still need it now and then.
 
It seems my latest OS only gives pain meds first week post op (yikes) so I guess I will load up on Tylenol prior to PT. I still have a fair amount of pain at ten days post op so was hoping I could get one a script to cover PT . I do think that the opioid issue has created problems for legitimate users too. Not sure what the answer is but surely Drs can look at your history to see you are not an abuser.
 
Omg 10 days was definitely not enough for me. Mine gives a weeks supply at a time and I have had no problem getting refills. I hope you find some relief.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom