Guest viewing is limited

TKR Walking Post Op

Thanks I guess I was surprised no more checks for 12 months and still have pain but I guess time and patience is the way forward.
 
There are so many opinions between surgeons. My checkups were;
2 weeks
6 weeks
10 weeks
18 weeks (4 months)
7 months
12 months.
He wanted to see me at 10 months but I talked him into waiting until the 12 month checkup.

I was always stressed about the checkups and having to prove my progress. I didn’t expect recovery to be like that.

I think you’re lucky to not have to go again until the year. You can always call him if anything comes up.
 
Oh, and I forgot to add, he took X-rays every time.
 
Well 9 weeks out and I see light at the end of the tunnel. I broke down this week and went to my Primary Care Physician Monday and explained I couldn’t sleep and Ambien was not working as I could not stand for anything to touch my right leg without howling. Well he gave me a script for Gabapentin and I slept through the night for first time since surgery Monday night and each night since. I had read on Bonesmart where others found it helpful but was skeptical. Not any more. It has made a huge difference for me. I got off hydrocodone altogether and only need Tylenol twice a day to keep me up and running (figurately speaking). If anyone is having those zingers and sensitivity I suggest you to give it a try. This site has kept me sane the past nine weeks. Whenever I was feeling sorry for myself I would log on in the middle of the night and immediately feel connected to folks that understood where I was coming from.
 
Did you have any bad side effects from gabapentin? I started it about a month ago and after 3 weeks of unacceptable side effects and no relief for the discomfort I stopped taking it.
 
@Jockette I have onky been on it since Monday (5 days) but no side effects yet. Praying I don’t get any as it has certainly calmed down the nerve pain and zingers etc. What kind of side effects did you experience? I
am sorry to hear that as it has certainly made a difference for me thus far.
 
I’m glad it’s working well for you, I had hoped it would for me, too.

Starting with my first dose I had a very heavy feeling in my eyes and sinuses, like something pulling my face down, different from feeling drowsy, I felt like a zombie. I also had bad constipation and nothing I tried relieved it, and the final straw was, I’ve had tinnitus for years but it’s at a manageable level, but suddenly it got louder and the tone changed. Even if it had helped my discomfort I don’t think it would have been worth it.
 
@Jockette I can understand why you came off it then and hopefully side effects disappeared. I had not slept more than two hours straight in 9 eeeks so was desperate. I hate taking medicine so will try and get off it as soon as I can but was desperate for sleep. I am interested to know how long nerve pain lasts post op. My dr just said it is nerve endings trying to reconnect but no indication of how long that took. I long for day when no meds required and knee feels like it’s mine to some extent. Good luck with your recovery. This journey is longer than this Pollyanna expected.
 
That heavy feeling left the first day I stopped taking the gabapentin. The others are still present.
 
Incision feels really tight. While I am feeling better all 10 weeks post op my incision is feeling very tight and as I ride my bike it actually stings. It’s as if skin is being pulled apart when I flex. I am massaging with coconut oil three times a day and it looks good but very tight when I bend it. Anyone else experienced this?
 
Oh yes, mine was tight for long time, too. It’s much better now. Yours will relax in time, too. It’s only been 10 weeks for your incision.
 
@Pamjam68 we had our surgeries the same day and my incision feels the exact same way. Pt says that its a normal feeling and will decrease with time.
 
Just curious...what is the dosage of your gabapentin? I’m glad that you were able to sleep once taking it. I had hand surgery last year and, in recovery, I couldn’t bear tp have anything touch the area. I had to roll up my sleeves to get away from raw feeling. The skin in on my knee feels exactly like my hand did. It took a couple of months but happily, it completely resolved. I’m looking forward to having this annoying sensitivity gone. Was wondering if gabapentin might help it along...
 
@Ellie@0318 dr gave me a supply of 90 @ 100 mg and suggested up to 300 mg at bedtime. Works well for me and definitely helped with the hypersensitivity for which I am grateful. Luckily no side effects for me.
 
@Txmomgmom3 hello again we are making this journey together, I am hoping that tight feeling will subside. Worse when riding my bike and taking steps makes my scar sting somehow as if skin is too tight. I lather on coconut oil and Mederma but still feels tight. Sure hope it subsides for both of us
 
Your scar will feel better, as will the tightness in your knee. The tightness is often the last thing to go... but go, it does.
 
@SusieShoes thank you it is good to hear it will improve. Just another issue we have to be patient about on the road to recovery. I told my Dr I am not sure that I realized what I signed up for. He too tells me that down the road I will be glad I did. Not there yet
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom