Guest viewing is limited

THR Waking up to the other side!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That first drink was mighty refreshing for me as well, though mine was a beer ...
 
Wow Smitty, I miss checking in on you for a day or two and you are blowing through the milestones. No more PT, no more blood thinners, driving, walking without assistive devices. I am so happy for you and that your recovery has been so speedy.

An adult beverage or two was in order! :beer: One for each hand.

Tammy
 
Good morning, fellow hippies! I just had a pretty nice weekend, with lots of activities (dining out, shopping, visiting friends and family). I've been out and about, driving a little, each of the last three days. The only hard part about driving now is being mindful of my restrictions when getting out of the car. My Charger has kind of a high lip at the door sill. The best trick I've found is to grab my pants leg with my left hand to help my right foot over the lip. It's pretty nice to have long arms! :)

The hip is feeling great. I'm only taking the pain pills at night now. I will go to Tylenol during the day, if needed. I need to continue to seriously stick with my exercise routine to gain strength back in the right leg.

Later, y'all. Have a good week!
 
I know that move -- hauling up left leg by my pant leg even though I don't need to do it now, but I still need to work on strength. I think I'm ok until I look at a step a little higher than normal and think the operated leg isn't the one for the job. What are you doing to build up your muscle that doesn't involve a gym?
 
Cookie42 Are you using a stationary bike? By the way, are you still having a little stiffness or tightness when you first start to walk, or is it just me?
 
I just got a bike two days ago -- a good old used one because I'm pretty sure I won't use it once I no longer feel the need. Do I need to set the resistance fairly high or just free wheel it? Right now, I'm mostly free wheeling! Stiff? YES. Unless I concentrate really hard, my first step or two is a definate limp. After that, it's usually fine. So are you telling me we're pretty much at the same stage in feeling, but you're doing tons more than I am? So I should be able to do all that paddling and hiking? I still say you're a wonder woman. My playing with the little guys two or three times a week almost does me in.:mcoffee:
 
Whew, then it isn't just me. Maybe we're normal:rolleyes: as we do seem to be at the same stage. I would be totally done in if I were taking care of two active little guys---believe me, kayaking and biking don't even compare to that. I'll be 11 weeks tomorrow and had thought I'd be completely normal by now. I haven't needed ibuprofen for over a week and my only complaint is whenever I start to walk, I'm stiff and have a tendency to limp for about 10 steps. And it doesn't matter whether I've been sitting down for 5 minutes, or an hour. I've been riding my real bike for 10 or 12 easy miles with no problem and feel like my hip is totally well when I get off. At the Y, I use the stationary bike with resistance set on 3, and I do 6 miles in half an hour, and when I get off I feel normal. I think you should be free wheeling and gradually increase resistance. No problem here with stair climbing---actually feels better than walking on flat ground.

Hey Smitty, not meaning to highjack your thread here. You are doing great and it sounds like you're having fun, too.
My surgery was on my left hip, and here's one thing that works for me about getting into the car. Stand with back to the side of the seat, sit down, then using outer thigh muscles to press knees together, swing both into the car at the same time. This also works well for turning over in bed---the good leg sort of splints the operative leg, so to speak.
 
No problem, sissy!!! We're all family here on bonesmart. :)

I do not use a bike or any machinery. I live on a quiet, dead end road out in the country in North Carolina. I get out and walk as much as I can to the end of my road, which is about a quarter mile each way with a slight incline. This is in addition to the PT exercises.

I have some catching up to with the right leg, since I had been dragging it around for years while putting off my surgery. Thankfully, the x-rays do not show any problems with my left hip now. Whew!!
 
I just got a bike two days ago -- a good old used one because I'm pretty sure I won't use it once I no longer feel the need. Do I need to set the resistance fairly high or just free wheel it? Right now, I'm mostly free wheeling!
Don't set the resistance very high. You don't want to be grinding hard against a "high gear", just spinning freely at a decent cadence, like on the road. It's also important is to set the seat height correctly, even though by now you ought to be beyond any ROM restrictions for the anterior approach. If you set the saddle where you can just reach the pedals with your heels, it should be about right when pedalling correctly with the balls of your feet.
 
Hi Smitty. I have found getting in and out of my truck is super easy, both sides. However, my daughter has a Honda and my husband has a Jeep. I have found getting in and out of these to be a bit tricky. In these, I have to grab the leg and swing it in. But my truck is large enough to just ease in straight-legged.

Is your weather nice enough to do a lot of outdoor walking?
 
I moved the seat up so high in my car that there's no lip, basically! LOL It's sort of easier for me because it's the left leg, so if I'm driving, I hang on to the steering wheel, and if I'm the passenger I can put it in first. I'm taking my daughter's Neon to get the oil changed on Thursday, though, THAT should be interesting.
 
PJ, be careful getting in and out of the Neon. If I remember my cars correctly, those are little....kind of jelly beanish in looks. Let us know how you make out.
 
Today is 7 weeks and I've been able to do things like semi-curl up on the couch, so it's probably fine from a pain and injury standpoint. Now, from a GRACE standpoint? I won't commit!
 
The weather here has been warmer than normal for December. Today, the high will be 59 with mixed clouds. Perfect for a little stroll!

Speaking of oil changes, I'm at the local Meineke now for some service on my car. I plan to take care of as many things like this as possible before I return to work in three weeks!

Later, hippies!
 
I hear ya Smitty, i return next monday.
last week i put in a closet shelving system, painted etc, this week i am
going to have some work done to the truck, (remote starter!) and put
up a piece of gutter on my garage over the side entrance door, can reach from
the ground!
 
Smitty and @cyndutch, you both are doing so well and taking car of so many chores, if you run out I can provided you with some new ones around my house.:)
 
SmittyD is CRAZY!!! 59 degrees is not mild, nor is it walking appropriate! That is "light a fire in the fireplace and give me some hot chocolate" weather. Nuts, I tell you. If it drops below 70, I'm digging out the winter gear. Brrrrrrr.
 
Come on, Damn! 59 and sunny is perfect walking weather, but I see you live in Florida and can understand. Today, however was 47 degrees so I skipped the outdoor walks.

It was a good day, however. I visited my workplace during our Holiday meal. I'm definitely not being politically correct when I say "Holiday". We used to have a Thanksgiving and a Christmas meal, but stopped that as a cost cutting measure several years ago. Now we have one meal between the two holidays. It was great seeing all the folks I work with. People could not believe how good I was walking after seeing me limp and hurt for the last several years. A few told me I looked taller, which made me laugh. I told them I guess I must just be standing up straighter. :)

Take care, hippies! Only 12 more shopping days until Christmas!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom