Guest viewing is limited

THR Waking up to the other side!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yay Smitty! What a wonderful thread! It has made me smile:) oh, those horrible TEDs! I only had to wear them for two weeks, but unfortunately we never found an easy way to get them on:( my poor fiance! Lol. I am so glad you are doing well and are getting some much need rest:) keep it up!
Misty
 
TEDs---I woke up with them, but as soon as I could shower (the second day) I took them off and left them off. Any time I was in bed in the hospital I had those intermittent pressure thing around my lower legs, but I didn't have to put the TEDs back on.
 
SmittyD, wow, look at you go! I am so happy to see how well you are doing. Gotta love those kitchen-counter exercises. My PT has me working at the counter because I don't have a walker...only crutches. He currently has me doing one-legged mini-front squats and toe raises. I'm still non-weightbearing, so all my stuff to do is pretty passive. I feel so ready to do so much more. I guess he doesn't understand that as an avid Crossfitter, squats are pretty easy. Used to do one-legged squats on a pretty regular basis. But in his method, I am not allowed to go below parallel. My trainer would cringe! Someday...........

So, what are your plans for Thanksgiving? Dinner in? Dinner out? Family, friends? Inquiring minds want to know.

Tammy
 
Tammy, I am so sorry you have to deal with those restrictions! Is it because you have a non-cemented? I don't understand why surgeons would use that method if cemented is an option.....but anyhow, yes! What are everyones plans for Thanksgiving? We are having everyone over at our house. The kids and I are working hard on getting caught up on the last two months of housework:/ I never want to get that behind again! Lol.
Misty
 
Foggymama; Misty, my doctor says that he choose the uncemented type because of my age and my activity level. He says that this type is best for a person who is highly active as it allows for more strenuous types of activities (once it is fully healed ~ 1 year). So, for someone like me, who doesn't want to give up playing softball a couple of times a week and Crossfitting 4-5 times a week, then this is the way to go.

As for Thanksgiving, I have a really good friend coming down tomorrow and staying through the weekend. We are having some friends over and having a really big dinner here. As a military family, living in a city with an air force base, we usually have 5-10 extra people around the table. They are usually military members who are here alone and unable to go home for the holidays. This year we will have a small crowd...about 16 people. I miss the days when all 7 of the kids were home. Then we totaled 9 without any extra guests.

Ok people, spill it! What are your Thanksgiving plans?

Tammy
 
Damn! My hip is uncemented and I was total weight bearing from day one. I think I read on here somewhere that there are two schools of thought: one is that weight bearing stimulates bone growth, the other that not bearing weight lets the new bone growth get started. Seems like they'd know which it is by now, but I've been astonished at the different treatment courses we've all had.
We got a jump start on T'giving and had the big dinner on Sunday evening. I'm going kayaking Thursday and Friday:egypdance:and the weather is supposed to be marvelous.
 
sissy46, didn't you have the anterior approach? Not sure why my dr. has imposed the non-wb....perhaps because he said he had more to do in there than he originally thought. Who knows.

Your early dinner sounds delicious. Yes, the weather is going to be fantastic for outdoor activities. I am getting ready to go out for lunch with a girlfriend. I am so looking forward to getting out of the house and socializing for a bit. Yay! I may even partake of an adult beverage or two. Since I have only taken ibuprofen today, it should be fine. Also, I won't be driving :)

Where are you going kayaking?

Tammy
 
Damn! my doctor said the same about the uncemented and active people, and yes, I did have the anterior and there wasn't anything else going on with my hip other than OA. So it was pretty straight forward.
Enjoy your lunch out and most especially your:cocktail:which will probably make you want to:sleep: unless it makes you silly:heehee:
Sounds like fun. I'm glad you're getting out every day. Just don't drive a scooter after those adult beverages.

Tomorrow I'm going paddling by myself for the first time since before surgery and I'm excited about that. I love paddling with friends, but once in a while I like to get out alone with my boat and my camera. I'll go to Wekiwa Springs State Park and launch there. On Friday a friend and I are going to paddle but we haven't decided where we're going yet. My two favorite places (Wekiva River and Econlockhatchee River) are each 20 minutes from home, and there are lots of other choices within 45 minutes. And the weather is supposed to be nice both days.

Percy did well at the vet. He's such a great cat, I call him Percy the Perfect.
 
Hello Hippys! My plans for Thanksgiving are dinner at my girlfriends sister's place. She will have a big spread with the green flag dropping at 1:00. Deep-fried turkey, smoked turkey, ham, etc. Tina's sister cooks like Paula Deen and the rest of the family are good cooks, too. I usually make my Grand Marnier cranberry relish and Wild Turkey sweet potato casserole, but don't think I'm quite up to it. :tada: Speaking of Wild Turkey, I'll be glad to get off the blood thinners in 14 days to enjoy an adult beverage, too.

Happy Thanksgiving Eve everyone! Who's ready for Black Friday? I'm ready...to stay home again! :yes:
 
Well...it's official, y'all. The physical therapist started me using the cane this afternoon. :happydance:I walked approximately 50 yards up the road and back with just the cane. It's been a beautiful day here in North Carolina and It felt so good. I have to be careful and think about what I'm doing, but should only use the walker when I'm tired and stiff. It's so hard to believe that I'm walking so good, and pain free, just seven days after my hip replacement.

I truly have so much to be thankful for!!!
 
Congratulations, SmittyD! If you're like me, you will celebrate the milestones of your recovery and rehab. (The emoticon you used suggests you just might ...)
 
Oh SmittyD, congrats on graduating to the cane!!!! I am so happy for you...and still a lot envious :boohoo:. Non-weightbearing SUCKS!!!

Even though I am still on the blood thinner injections, I figured 1 little sangria wouldn't hurt. And sissy46, you will be happy to know that I did not "drive" under the influence. I just crutched my non-wb self right out to my truck and had my daughter drive me home. It was so much fun, but not silly fun since it was only 1.

Smitty, your casserole and relish sound devine. Too bad you aren't going to make it.

I can't believe you threw that Black Friday question out there... I am a DIEHARD BF shopper. I am so disappointed that I will be hanging out at home this year. Oh well, I will just have to shop twice as long next year.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Tammy
 
I'm not especially active -- no paddling, running or jumping, just taking care of a couple of little guys a couple of days a week, but I'm uncemented and weight bearing. Different theories from different doctors, I guess.

My son-in-law is frying the turkey, I'm supplying the rest. Scalloped oysters, spinach casserole, mashed potatoes, cranberry/orange relish and apple pies. Right now I'm hungry and sooo looking forward to tomorrow.
 
Bring on the food!!!!!!!! And then the leftovers for the next 4-5 days. Yum!
 
It's a beautiful Sunday here in North Carolina. Things are still going well with my recovery, with the exception of my blood levels. I'm now taking 8mg of coumadin daily, up from 4. I hope it checks out OK when the home health nurse comes by tomorrow. (fingers crossed) :) Regardless, I am feeling good and can do 10 unassisted straight leg raises with a pain level of 5 afterwards. A week ago, I could only do 2...maybe. I'm also looking very forward to the follow-up visit with my surgeon on Wednesday to get these staples taken out.

I had hoped I was through with hospitals for a while, but one of my best friends was diagnosed with Guillian-Barre Syndrome on Thanksgiving. He's undergoing six days of IVIG treatments to knock it out, hopefully. We've been going to visit with him every day. At least these hospital visits do not involve me being the patient.

Take care, fellow hippies. Later, y'all!
 
Smitty

Sorry to hear about your friend and hope the treatments knock it out. Maybe your new BS warrior friends can come and kick its butt!

I'm having similar issues with my blood levels as you are. We are still trying to get things stabilized. My number climbed a bit too fast so they had me do a lower dose (4 mg) on one day then back up to 6mg for two days. The home nurse isn't due back until Tuesday so I'm going to have to call about Monday's dose. I'll only have 2mg left so they'll also need to refill my rx.

Try not to do that many leg raises if it takes you to a 5. Just because they are on your list to do, doesn't mean you are actually 'ready' to do them. This is not the time of 'no pain, no gain'. It's more like if it hurts, don't do it. Remember healing pain differs greatly from workout/muscle pain. Try not to rush it and it will come along when its ready.

I still can't believe you still have your staples in. I'm sure you'll be glad once those are out. Hope you are resting well after your busy week!
 
:goodpost: Be sure to listen to Dede's advise SmittyD. She is offering up some real pearls of wisdom with regard to the exercises. You shouldn't be doing anything that has your pain levels climbing all the way up to 5!!!! No way, no how.

I hope your staple removal is painless. A word of caution...I had most of mine in for two weeks as well. By the time the nurse came to remove them, most of them had skin growing over them. It was quite painful. Be sure to take your pain meds about 30 minutes before getting them out. This should help tremendously.

Glad to see you had some nice weather up your way to enjoy today. It was beautiful here as well. Hit about the mid 70's and was very sunny.

I'm sooo happy to see that you are doing so well.

Tammy
 
Thanks for the advice, ladies. I'll cut the exercise back a notch. Also, it doesn't feel like there's any skin grown over the staples now.
 
That is good news indeed! Glad to hear that you are going to cut back on the exercise a bit too!

Tammy
 
I got my staples out 2 weeks post-op and it was almost exactly, painwise, like getting my ankle tattoo - that is, more "God, that's annoying! " than "I'll die if she doesn't stop! ". I was very apprehensive beforehand, too. Good news about the cane, bet it feels good.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Back
Top Bottom