Guest viewing is limited

THR Waking up to the other side!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smitty

If you have someone to help then don't use the aid and just do the fold over part, bring it up over the heel as high as it goes to remove any wrinkles, then pull up the part that was folded over. This is how I did it when hubby had is back surgery. You'll figure out what works best.

Glad to hear things are going well without any excess drama... :friends:
 
Vilebyrd,
December 11th will be here before you know it. You will feel so much better on the other side, brother! Thanks!
 
I guess I was one of the lucky ones. They took my TEDS off on the second day in the hospital and told me that I didn't need to wear them any more. Thank God! I hate those things. They make my legs itch.

At 8 inches, I thought my incision was on the large side. Wow, 19.5 in is something. Sounds like you are doing well. Enjoy some much needed down time and have a great rest of the weekend.

Tammy
 
Welcome to the NC boys. We're in NC as well; Greensboro. Where did you have your surgeries done?

Hubby hasn't worn his TED's since day 2 or 3 at home. We decided that he was walking plenty and didn't need further assistance with circulation. I suspect that the anterior approach will reduce the length of time that the average person wears them.

Yesterday was day 10, and Kev is driving easily. No problem getting in the Camaro. The reason we found out about the anterior method was when Kev whined to my orthopaedic surgeon (shoulder) that he had been told by a physical therapist that hip replacement meant the end of his low slung car days. She told him that Coach K (Duke basketball coach) had the anterior method and he was squatting on the sidelines and everything. Best advise we ever got.

Kev can walk without aids; only limps a bit when he is tired. He's walking around the neighborhood. Therapist is thrilled. Hope the doctor is as happy when we go for the first post-op visit on Wednesday.

I'm going back to work on Monday and have no fear of leaving him alone. He's cooking and cleaning already, although it means some increased pain at night. But it still better than the pre-op pain.
 
Howdy, Kev's wife! Dr. Jason Norcross did my surgery at Catawba Valley Medical Center in Hickory. It's day 4 for me and I'm moving around quicker, even with the walker, than I had been for weeks prior to the surgery.
 
Yesterday was day 10, and Kev is driving easily. No problem getting in the Camaro. The reason we found out about the anterior method was when Kev whined to my orthopaedic surgeon (shoulder) that he had been told by a physical therapist that hip replacement meant the end of his low slung car days. She told him that Coach K (Duke basketball coach) had the anterior method and he was squatting on the sidelines and everything. Best advise we ever got.

Kev can walk without aids; only limps a bit when he is tired. He's walking around the neighborhood. Therapist is thrilled. Hope the doctor is as happy when we go for the first post-op visit on Wednesday.

My "good" car is a Camaro, an '85 IROC-Z, but it doesn't get driven in the winter because they salt the roads up here in the rust belt. Besides, it's a 5-speed and I probably shouldn't be pushing the clutch even after 8 weeks, when I'm allowed to drive. There's also the matter of a blown head gasket and I don't want to be hefting 50 lb heads around right now. :boohoo:

Anyway, I only learned about the anterior approach surgery after I was already committed to a local OS and they don't do it in my town. However, from everything I've been able to learn, the anterior approach only eases and speeds up the recovery and has nothing to do with the final ROM. (You experts jump right in here if I'm mistaken.)

Once my consult with my OS was scheduled, I contacted a friend who had a hip replacement a couple of years ago and asked how it affected his mobility. He's 79 years old and a keen cyclist. He said he was back on the bike 4 weeks after the operation and logged 6k miles the first year back. But he said he had it done by the anterior approach. The only difference he says is he's no longer able swing his leg over the bars to mount and dismount. He also drives a Porsche and apparently has no trouble getting in and out.
 
Wow! Kev is doing fabulous! I am very jealous as I plod along on two crutches and suffer from the many hip restrictions. Good for him. Don't worry Kev's wife, it sounds like he knows where his boundaries are. That's great. My husband had his knee scoped back in the beginning of August and still babies it. The night I got home from the hospital and he was helping me to the bathroom, I complained to him and said "you have no idea how much this hurts right now." His response "well at least you can bend your knee." If I didn't love him 99.9% of the time, I would have gladly suffocated him :)
 
I haven't had my surgery yet. But it will be done at Presbyterian orthopedic hospital in Charlotte NC by Dr. Walter Beaver jr. He is the director of OrthoCarolina hip and knee specialty center
wich is also in Charlotte NC. Im followings all of your recovery posts and very happy for yall.
 
It remains to be seen what actually happens, but was told during pre-op that it would be 4 weeks before I'm released to drive. With my right hip being replaced, that complicates the issue. My Charger R/T does have an automatic transmission. Riding home from the hospital on Thursday, I felt comfortable getting in and out of Tina's Altima. It sits pretty low. My doc used the "traditional" approach (posterior lateral?) and not the anterior.

It's shaping up to be a great Sunday, y'all!

P.S. - Tammy...pillows are to be used between the knees, not for suffocation devices! :rofsign:
 
Yes, when I talked to my OS before the operation, he was quite general about when I could resume normal activities, something like "6-8 weeks". However, when I asked him post op about driving, he said 8 weeks and I won't be seeing him again until November 29. My winter beater is an automatic, but all my "good" cars have always been stick shift since I learned to drive on a 1948 Austin and a 1956 Rambler with 3-on-the-tree. With RTHR, you should look into left foot braking with an automatic. Much better control and reaction time. When I had an '89 Tempo for a beater, I would do drifts and j-turns in the winter using left foot braking.
 
SmittyD, you got jokes! LOL. I'm glad to see that you still have your sense of humor. Sometimes it can get hard to find with the post-op ups and downs.

I have been able to get in and out of my F-150 super crew and my husband's Jeep with no problems. I'm a little leery of trying to get in and out of a smaller car, but I guess it would be possible. I'm hoping my doctor lifts the driving restriction a bit earlier than 5 weeks. I had my right hip done as well, so I'm sure that is the reason behind the delay.

How is your pain level today SmittyD? I hope that you are able to stay ahead of the pain. I'm staying in today and watching a marathon viewing of The Unit on Cloo. I love Dennis Haysbert (the guy from the Allstate commercials).

Have a beautiful Sunday!
Tammy
 
My pain level has been a "4" today, but I'm getting ready to do my afternoon therapy exercises. It's been a football Sunday for me. I'm a Redskins fan and they won big over the Eagles today. That probably lowered the old pain level by one. I loved Dennis Haysbert as President Palmer in my all-time favorite show, 24. I hope your pain is low today, too, Tammy. Always remember that laughter is the best medicine. It won't be long until the most sore muscles in our bodies will be our cheeks...from smiling so much! :kittykiss:
 
SmittyD, when I was completing my doctoral course work, I conducted several research studies on the Leaders/Managers use of humor in the workplace. It is found that leaders/managers who use appropriate humor have employees with higher levels of performance and satisfaction. So keep laughing my friend.

My pain level has been pretty low since I came home from the hospital. A 4 for me is a bad day now. I am usually around a 2 or so.

I pretty much like Dennis Haysbert in everything he has done, including 24. Big fan of Tommy Lee Jones and Samuel L. Jackson too. I will watch movies like US Marshals and the Negotiator every time they are on.

What are your Thanksgiving plans Smitty? Hopefully something fun, yummy and relaxing.

Tammy
 
Tammy, I know Kev would be jealous to hear that a pain level of 4 is a bad day. But maybe if he rested a little more....

Crazy guy just won't sit still. I've always thought he was ADHD, but this seems to be proving it. "Oh, I need to do this. Oh, I need to do that." Yesterday he did several household chores and cooked up a batch of chili. Today he's cooking up a pre-Thanksgiving dinner for a few of us since we won't be together next week. He's hurting and I finally snapped and ordered him to lie down on the couch. He then slept for an hour and is now being a good boy....but that won't last as it's soon time to take the food out of the oven.

I'm starting to think that he should just get the other hip done right now and get it over with. That way I really only have to harp at him for one period of recovery. :sigh:

As for driving after the right hip, I mentioned to Kev that it would take longer to get behind the wheel after that surgery. I explained that he needed to be able to react quickly. Unfortunately, I was discussing thisi as we drove along and we were suddenly stopped in the middle of the road. He had just slammed on the brakes using his left foot. "Was that fast enough for ya?!" Ugh....men. And yes, it proved his point. If he can move that fast with his left leg after 10 days, then he should be good with his right too (all things being equal, of course).
 
The only way I could get my TED on was if the sock aid had lots of body butter in it, this allowed the foot to slip and the aid to move up the leg. I found the socks compressed the aid too much to do it with just talc as sugested in the instructions. If you have help you can try a small plastic bag on your foot if your TED have open toes. Bag on foot makes it racier to glide the TEDs on then once on fold back slightly to remove the bag and then reposition. I had to wear mind for 24 hrs a day appart from hydro and showers for the 6 weeks.
 
Ugh! @puddlefish. I don't know how you managed to wear those torture devices for 6 weeks. My hat is off to you.

Kev's wife, well if he was able to slam on the brakes with his left foot, then I guess we all know he is already driving. That answers that question. It is good to see he is feeling so good, but I, like the others, caution him to SLOW DOWN. I would hate to read that he crashed and burned from over doing things. But you are a lucky woman to have a man that cooks. How nice.
 
Happy hippy Tuesday, y'all! Yesterday was another good day. My blood levels were off, in regards to the coumadin levels, when the home health nurse checked it. I'm awaiting word from the doc on how to modify my daily dosage. My sweet Mama is staying with me for a few days to allow Tina to work through Wednesday. We want to save her vacation time for a real vacation at the end of December! Myrtle Beach with some friends for New Years! I'm so looking forward to walking on the beach without the arthritis pain. Cheers!

This morning, I had another physical therapy visit and I worked up a little sweat. :dancy: She added a few exercises to do while standing at the kitchen counter. We went outside and walked up and down the driveway for several laps. For the most part, I am using good form with my right leg. Sometimes, I swing it instead of bending it, but I've been swinging it and limping it for years. Isn't it "fun" learning to walk all over again? She's coming back tomorrow, instead of Thursday, due to the Thanksgiving holiday. She says I'm ready to try some walking outside with the cane! Now we're talkin'!!!
 
Wow Smitty, transitioning to the cane is awesome. I'll have my first real PT session today since being home. I don't really count the first visit as they were focused on getting everything in the computer so everyone that comes by from the service sees all visit notes.

Sounds like you're progressing nicely!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Back
Top Bottom