THR VSlowLife's Pre-op Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
My recent OS asked me if I had a leg length difference. I told him I had been told one hip is higher than the other, and I have noticed new pants drag about 1/2” in the rear, and I end up hemming them. My THR leg is the shorter leg. He asked me if I wanted it corrected. I said I was not sure how my body would adjust to the correction. Anyone correct a natural leg length difference with a THR?
 
Anyone correct a natural leg length difference with a THR?
I had my LLD corrected during my second THR. After my LTHR I had a 1/4" difference. I wore a lift in my right shoe to compensate but it was never a good solution for me. Pre-op my right hip the surgeon measured and said he would correct this difference. I was delighted with the result - no more lift and far less back pain.

Your body will naturally adjust to the balancing. You may have tightness and be sore on the side that is stretched just post op. Just give it time.
 
@Jaycey Thank you for your response, but it seems I may have been born with a leg length difference and my OS has offered to even me up, after 60 years of having one leg shorter than the other. Not sure how my other joints would respond to this.
 
Not sure how my other joints would respond to this.
Your body will very quickly adjust to balancing your leg lengths. I think you will be surprised how good this feels once everything settles.
 
@CricketHip You are right! No one else is getting scheduled while he is away. I just wish I had a date to plan, but I know from reading other Bonesmarties’ experiences , things can happen to change an original date.
Yes this fellow was very informative. He looked at my EOS images and told me I had at least a 5% pelvic tilt he would need to accommodate. I feel like I will be in excellent hands.
 
I called the surgical coordinator today, and I was told they can’t give me a date until I get allergy testing done, for antibiotics and metals. I have a number of allergies to some antibiotics, and other things like Tide laundry detergent.

How did your allergy testing go?

They are sending me a letter and will call me back in the next couple of days. Sigh, no date, but I appreciate how careful the OS is being with my history.

I know about the recommended resource for metal testing on Bonesmart, and will see if that is also the resource the OS wants me to use. I honestly thought we got past the metal allergy because he pointed out there was most likely metal in my sandal decor and that the dark color on my skin after washing near gold jewelry on my wrist was a result of oxidation.
 
Tested for MRSA and Staph, general physical,chest x-ray and electro cardiogram and basic blood work. No allergy tests but I had metal in me already and no other allergies.
 
Glad they are doing a through allergy testing before you have surgery. Better to know now rather than after it is too late.
 
Yes, @Pumpkln the two big ones are Ancef and Vancomycin. He closes with Vancomycin and it’s their department protocol. I had itchy head and ears with Vancomycin IV for a previous major surgery 12 years ago and the nurses told me it was an allergy reaction and all my organs would shut down if they did not stop, so surgery was delayed until they could figure out what to give me next.
My OS said the allergic reaction is Red Man Syndrome for Vancomycin, and I told him I get that from the steroid Kenalog. It is possible I was infused too fast with the Vancomycin, and I may not have a true allergy.
Ancef gives me red dots all over for a week.
 
It is good that they are being thorough. Being prepared means the actual surgery will go smoothly with no surprises.
 
It's good your surgeon is being so careful about your allergies. He want a good result as much as you do.

Please keep us updated!
 
Thank you all@Jaycey, @leejaa.
Ugh, I read through the nurses notes from when I had a reaction to vancomycin, and fortunately my spine surgeon checked with the nurses on how I was doing after the surgery, (all drugged up), and I was found scratching my sides, after they put me on Clindamycin. They put Benadryl cream on me and added something to my IV which I can’t read. Good thing I found this, too! Ugh, no fun having allergies. Good thing I got all the notes on my hospitalization for my records.
 
It's excellent that they are addressing any allergies before your op. You don't want any reactions to drugs while trying to recover. If your surgeon and their team know what you are allergic to they will plan ahead accordingly. Well done for raising these issues pre-op.
 
Thank you, @Jaycey ! I had a helper today, being my legs, helping me going through my medical records today. I want to do, whatever I can do, to make my surgery uneventful for my surgeon, and me.
 
Went to my allergist today. She needs to order one more antibiotic and then I can get tested for all that may be an issue. Although I could test positive, there is such a thing as false positives and they do not know the rate for false positives.
She was very happy I brought the hospital records with dates and descriptions of reactions in the past. Made me feel good about keeping these paper records.
 
Dear Bonesmarties,
No matter what surgery I will have, I doubt I will want or be able to, crawl under furniture on my hands and knees to retrieve a small squeaky ball from under furniture, for my lovely big guy.
I am three months away from surgery and trying to make adjustments now, because it has become a very slow life for me.
How have you succeeded in blocking the under part of the furniture?
Thank you.
 
How about some thick draft stoppers that are used in front of doors and on windowsills? If you sew you can make your own with fabric that will coordinate with your furniture, and make the height you need.
 
And if you're not into sewing, rolled up newspapers, secured with rubber bands, could work, too
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom