THR VSlowLife's Pre-op Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank @leejaa and @CricketHip! I love wool winter socks, and these ideas will be very helpful. Yes, I passed my skin tests for antibiotics but I still have to do the oral challenges and pass them. I have already started on my clearances.

:banana-santa:
 
You are on the last steps of the process. Must feel good to get the pre op testings and visits going. It always gave me a lift that now it was really starting and not just more waiting. Have a great day. We are having sunshine in the Finger Lakes of NY so I hope it is reaching you also.
 
@leejaa Yes, the last steps make it more real. My endocrinologist was more helpful than I expected when she offered to send my OS previous bone dexa scans, to help him prepare. Already saw the dentist. I will miss having my teeth cleaned on schedule. He said some OSs, in his experience make you wait a year before another cleaning.
Once I pass the final antibiotic test, I will feel much relief.
I am glad to hear you had sun in the Finger Lakes! It was mostly cloudy way out here, and the ground has started to freeze, a clear sign of winter. After today we start to add another minute or two of daylight! Yay!
 
You're definitely starting the check off count down, you're on your way! Just think, just a teeny little bit over a month to go! Hope you have a great Christmas!
:plugging-in-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon: :banana-santa:
 
More daylight is a wonderful thing. We are having another sunny day which seems like a miracle but I am enjoying. I have lots of windows so I really feel the sunshine when it makes an appearance. We also tend to have dinner earlier this time of year so we can enjoy the view as we eat instead of just darkness. I find it all helps with the mood and alleviates the winter doldrums.

As far as teeth cleaning - put it on list to check with your OS - mine who is quite conservative with many things has only a 3m wait rule which works great for me.

I hope you get some sunshine today. Have a peaceful day.:xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon:
 
Good Afternoon @VSlowLife
Well...you're almost in "the month"....finally!
Wishing you comfort as you wait out these final weeks. May the New Year bring you the relief you're seeking along with peace, happiness, health and lots of love. :loveshwr: Happy New Year!

:happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4:
 
Thank you, lovely Layla! :angel:Yes, switching my language from “next month“ to “the end of this month“ and trying to put life in order.

Just bought a great safe, hip height sofa for another, Bonesmart suggested, recovery area in my home. I needed a new couch and the sales are wonderful, now. It’s a perfect dog friendly fabric,too! To be delivered soon.

A couple of trays of favorite “healthy” food coming this afternoon to help me make the basics of recovery dinners for the freezer. I live alone. Divided into portions it’s cheaper than healthy frozen dinners.

Sleep is much more difficult these days, even in my recliner :sad: Can’t wait for this cam impinged hip to be carefully removed, and replaced with something more useful/ less painful, in time.

I am grateful for this forum, including all the administrators, advisors, moderators, nurse Josephine, whom I hope is healing, and of course all the lovely members who are gracious enough to take the time to share their trials, tribulations, and successes. “I get by with a little help from my friends..” ( we need musical notes added to the emoji list).

May everyone have a healthy and :happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4::prayer:.
 
:happy-new-years-toast-smiley-emoticon: to you. Good plans for making your own meals for recovery. Tastier than frozen anyways and much healthier.

Time will fly now that it is this month. Hang in there , the pain will be gone soon. As you know I had a 6m wait and it is very difficult but the last month was a bit easier just knowing it was getting here soon and I could keep busy getting ready. For me it was stocking up on staples (living in the country no grocery delivery) for the house - some groceries but also shampoo, toiletries, paper products, etc. Yes, I could send my husband to the store but I like sales and also explaining which brand and what size gets interesting. I think I stocked up for 3-4m on some personal stuff - I am a believer in being prepared for the worst scenario but I think mainly it gave me a focus and something to control while waiting.
 
I could keep busy getting ready.
Absolutely, and thank you for the useful ideas. If I have not said it earlier, :happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4:
May it be a healthy and happy one.

It’s become more serious. Today my OS sent me pre-surgery exercise videos, and I must track them everyday, starting today. Anyone else do tracked pre-surgery exercises?
 
I had some simple exercises that were advised to be done but not tracked. Mainly thigh squeezes for the quadriceps, Heel slides, Buttock squeezes for the gluteals and ankle pumps and circles. There were some others in the book provided but I could not do them anyways due to the hip pain. I did do a lot of deep breathing inhale for 5s/hold5s/exhale5s/hold for 5s and again. I think this really helped post op as I never really had an issue with my oxygen levels and they were usually between 97 and 99%. I also did these post op and when I could not sleep. I actually always did these when I could not sleep aside from the hip as they are relaxing and give me a focus.
 
Thank you @leejaa. I will definitely try the breathing exercises to try to get back to sleep at night. It looks like once a week the surgeon wants more feedback from the patient, maybe to modify the exercises, if they are painful. They look pretty gentle.
 
It’s become more serious. Today my OS sent me pre-surgery exercise videos, and I must track them everyday, starting today. Anyone else do tracked pre-surgery exercises?

My hips were in pretty bad shape before the surgeries and my OS told me just to keep walking as much as I can and if I can... only to keep those muscles active. I was not able to do any other exercises.
 
Hello and Happy Friday :wave:
I received the exercises just a week prior to surgery and honestly, I didn't do them. By that time I was burnt out on all the energy I put into stressing about everything and just wanted it all over with..
With that said, I think you're wise in following the instruction you've received and I like leejaa's suggestion about the breathing exercises.
I hope the next 28 days fly by for you. Wishing you comfort as you await your date.
@VSlowLife
 
Happy Friday Layla!

Just getting out the door for my cardiac clearance.

There is one exercise as gentle as it is, that is causing severe pain, so that one is off my list and I let the surgeon know.

I appreciate your feedback and support!
 
Safe travels to and from. Hoping you receive the clearance you need to get this done. You're almost there...:bored:
@VSlowLife
 
Thank you @Layla. I appreciated hearing how you dealt with this time period, too.

Fortunately this was very local. EKG fine. Echo on Monday. Do not need to repeat the stress test :yes!: Local PT evaluation for OS on Monday, too.

I am in a small village.

I think my OS wants my local hospital (very small hospital) to teach me how to be safe with handicap tools and furniture. They will most likely be coming to my house after surgery, too, if not before.

No “gentle” exercises today! I am not giving myself more pain today.
 
I’m glad all is well with your EKG. I found it interesting that I had more preop requirements (like EKG) with my arthroscopy/tendon release than my THR. Different doctors. I tried to exercise right up to my THR but many I had to drop due to pain. I was getting so discouraged the week before and my husband finally told me to stop beating myself up over it because I was doing everything else right. What a mind game pain can do on us. Do what you can and be proud of that. It’s not too much longer, now. ❤️
 
I will be following you into recovery. Wishing you the best!
I was encouraged to keep my quads strong and my hamstrings stretched going into the knees, and for those and the shoulder, to do lots of leg balancing exercises to avoid falls.
I have to do antibiotics when I go to the dentist for a year after, but could go after the incisions healed (about a month)—as long as I felt I could get there and be comfortable with being in their chairs.
You sound like you are ready. Good luck!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom