Guest viewing is limited

THR VSlowLife's Pre-op Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Jockette and @Celle Thank you for your suggestions. I think the door stopper type of suggestion with ties to tie to the furniture legs may work best. Pierre is a big guy, and my rolled up bubble wrap he still moves back in retrieving his balls, but if I put that into fabric with ties at the end it could work very well.:loveshwr:
 
My other thought was to put the balls away temporarily and give him bigger toys that won’t fit under the couch.

We used to have to hide balls from my daughter’s dog. He was a yellow lab and got too rowdy with them inside. They became outside only toys.
 
Good suggestion. At 9 1/2 he unfortunately is not into other types of squeak toys. I have tried. I end up giving them to other people’s dogs. Being part golden retriever, he is mouthy, even at this age, and loves to be mouthy on balls.
 
Swiffer used as a hockey stick. It works fine on hardwood. Otherwise I don't mind at all getting down and up. After all if we don't use it at our age we lose it. I do practice gettings up every day.. For a long time I didn't and now regret that.
Right after surgery of course you won't want to but with the golfers reach and a broom you may be able to get balls out.. Or collect balls. We have some 15 of them.
And he doesn't like balls except treat balls!
 
@Layla
I was intrigued by @Seasnail new posting, too, where her surgeon told her that days 5-7 “the furnace“ would start for tissues healing and she may get very tired.

I did a quick search and found the Hospital for Special Surgery has an excellent guideline, for surgery, IMHO.


I thought it might be a useful link. What do you think?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@mainegirl1 Up until now, I agree with you about use it or lose it philosophy, but my back and cam impinged hip can limit me. A swifter may work sometimes, and is a good suggestion. I have used a yardstick
But I have noticed when I need zero gravity, hip resting time, and he gets the ball in a bad spot, despite other balls in the same room, he is adamant about the one he can’t get. Seventy-five pounds of adamant, paws and claws scraping and scratching so much I am afraid he will up end the tall furniture.
I think in my “recovery” room, I will make up a few simple, door stopper type of things, with ties to secure, so I have one less stress when I will not feel well enough to help him get the ball he is fixated on.
 
Sure.. We are here to offer alternatives not dictums. Keep all the doors open as you haven't had surgery yet and you may have surprises in your future.
 
Yes, as much as we prepare, there can always be surprises where surgery is concerned. I am going to prepare for needing crutches (dog food supply up on a table, etc.) and 90 degree angles, and hopefully be pleasantly surprised if I need less.
 
@VSlowLife, thank you for the article link. Material from the Hospital for Special Surgery is always a good resource. This article is for a wider audience than just joint replacement patients and so it does have some information that is not applicable to our BoneSmarties. The chart showing what contribution each vitamin makes to a recovering body is excellent and eating the foods listed there is the best way to get the proper nutrients. I would caution anyone who plans to use any supplements (pills or liquids) to talk with your GP first, as some can interact with other medications you are taking.

Some excellent information here on BoneSmart that helps you prepare for surgery is contained in Video #6 from our 2018 Joint Replacement Awareness Day. Basic post-op nutrition tips can be found at the end of the Minimizing Surgical Scars section of our Wound Care tab. And our BoneSmart Nutritional Library (part of our general library of educational material) has even more nutritional guidance available.
 
@VSlowLife You have lots of questions and have started many threads in the pre-op area. But I am worried that you won't be able to look back and refer to all the answers our members have given you as there are so many threads.

You will notice I started a thread for you called VSlowLife's Pre-op Questions. All the threads you have started are now in this one thread for you to be able to refer to when needed.

How about keeping all your questions on this thread so that you have this resource as you get closer to your surgery date? I hope that's OK with you.
 
Thank you @Jaycey. I have booked marked all the wonderful advice, because it is so valuable, and have been writing notes from them, which I keep in a binder.
 
Well now you only need one bookmark - this thread. And this will save you making notes since all your questions are in one place. :thumb:
 
Making written notes, in sections, in a binder, organizes me best. I can check off what I have done as I go through this process. However if my thread helps others, that is a good thing.
Other things such as CricketHip’s wonderful instructions on the lymph system and swelling, I will print out.
 
Your organization system sounds very good.
I hope your hip is calm today, soyoucan hugyour Nurse Dog and enjoy Thanksgiving.
PS Jaycey’s single thread makes it easier for us to find you.
 
How do you get socks off when you put them on with plastic half tube device?
Some winter socks are not easy to get off just by having one foot stepping on the toes of the other, and that is a crossing of legs move.
 
You push them off with your reacher or clothes stick. I tended to wear looser soft cushy socks at home which were easier to put on and take off. The reacher has a straight piece opposite the moving pieces for picking up and you push with that. I definitely would say practice before surgery. I was using the sock aid and reachers before surgery since it was very painful to bend over but it got me practice.
 
I removed mine the same way as Leejaa.. except I didn't need to wear many socks in the summer. So maybe I just found it easy because I didn't have to wrestle with it daily.

I hope you practised and found it doable! You are getting closer to the surgery date! yay!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom