Guest viewing is limited

TKR Vickie's Knee Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recovery update: As some of you know, I am going to have a MUA on my knee next Thursday. For those of you that don't know what a MUA is: the doctor sedates you and then manually bends your leg/knee to break thru the scar tissue so that you can have more range of motion. I know that there is a more technical definition of this and you can google it, but this pretty much sums the procedure up.

My range of motion stays around 98-104. My knee has developed a tight band around it. I've had a MUA done on my shoulder before for "frozen shoulder". My body tends to build up scar tissue very easily. I hesitated to post about the MUA on my thread because I really don't want to hear all of the opinions abut why I shouldn't do it. This is something that I have discussed thoroughly with my doctor and have decided that I trust him. When I started this thread, I promised myself that I would be honest about my recovery because I really couldn't find too many posts that really told what happens after knee replacement.

My Dr. told me that you should never compare your recovery to anyone else's. We are all individuals and we all heal differently. Only you and your doctor can decide what is best for your situation. He also has stopped my current therapy and told me to exercise at home until after the manipulation. He is changing me over to a new therapist because he told me that once a therapist has hurt you, then you will never trust them again. Every time they touch you, every muscle tenses up and you fight the therapy. (It was like he was reading my mind!)

Cathy, Turtle and Susie,
I probably wouldn't have posted about the MUA, but your posts above made me feel like its important to share all of the information. Not all of us have easy, textbook recoveries and others should be aware of that. For me, it always helps to know what all of the outcomes can be. I still totally expect to recover. I've just hit a bump in the road, but it will be ok.

I know that not everyone is going to agree with my decision to have this done, but I'm asking that you to please be positive about it and say prayers for my recovery.

Vickie
 
A great post, and so true, Vickie. I find that it's really hard to make a good decision with all of the information that's available here. I know, too, that I have to trust my doctor........that's the bottom line, I guess. I think you are definitely on the right track, and you've made the right decision. I am glad you decided to post your information because it truly does help others who are faced with the same dilemma. I see my OS tomorrow am to find out if he recommends an MUA at the time of surgery #2 Monday morning. I, too, will respect his decision regardless of what I've read on my own.

You are exactly right......You WILL still recover and it WILL be ok....you never know, you may end up better than ever! How will you ever know if you don't try?? Please take good care and let us know how it's going!
 
Good luck with the MUA Vickie. Of course it's your decision and I'm sure you haven't taken it lightly. Our recovery journeys are all so different but I think everyone on here is honest and tells it warts and all. It's a major operation and a major recovery. I hope things improve for you after the op and I wish you all the best.
 
Dewey,
Thanks so much for your positive post. I've been reading your thread also and knew that you might have an MUA done when you have your TKR on the other knee. I will be supportive with whatever decision you make. I truly think that it's something that only you and your doctor can decide together.

I talked with a guy that works with my husband today. He had a MUA about two years ago and said that the "band like" pain is gone immediately. He said the pain from the MUA felt like muscles that were strained from vigorous exercise. He never had anymore problems with the bend in the knee. He continued to go to physical therapy for about a month. I felt much better after I talked with someone that experienced it.

Thanks again for your support. It's good to have Bone Smart friends!
 
Thank you Vickie for sharing, we all are healing at different rates and its good to know what paths each of us have to take. It is so helpful and you sharing is wonerful, it does help so many and its apprecited. People need to see how different each recovery is. The up nd downs, downs and ups that all part of it and knowing othes might have some of you sme downs and some of the ups is soooo very helpful. Your post was great your sooo good at getting your words out....unlike me i get mine a bit jumbled at times.
Anyway we are all here with you and sending lots of prayers and good thoughts your way, Im glad you made this decision. Im sure just in that it lifted a weight!
For now my OS is having me try some water arobic classes, and a few other tricks up his sleeve so we will see on me what the outcome will be. Like you I do trust my OS!! We are all in this together!
hugs
Susie
 
Hi Vicke, I have been out of town camping and then in Palm Springs and just returned home today and caught up with your thread. Good luck on the MUA next week. It sounds like you have done all your research and this is what you need to do to get better! All I have to say is that you will be in my thoughts and prayers next Thursday and I know things will go well :)! Take care!
 
So glad you will be getting a new therapist after the MUA. Out with the old and in with the new!!

Oh and the hotel I went to in Palm Springs had the DEEPEST bath tub I have ever seen. I crawled into that tub not knowing if I was going to be able to get out and against my husbands wishes BUT I just had to try it and it was WONDERFUL! It also had a TV in there so I watched a movie and drank two Heinekens. Pure bliss! Both my kids took baths in there too and stayed in there for hours! Google the Agua Caliente Hotel and Casino in Palm Desert,CA and check out the bath tub!
 
That looks wonderful! I can see why you loved it. "Shower people" don't get our obsession with wonderful bathtubs. I can be having a lousy day and after I take a long, relaxing bath everything is ok! Especially now with the knee recovering. If my knee is aching, it stops as long as I'm in the tub.

I sure am hoping that the MUA will help my knee. The doctor thinks that I should be able to get to about 125 degrees after the manipulation. That would be great. It feels like I'm wearing an ace bandage wrapped tightly around my knee right now. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers on April 11th! I may need a couple of prayers for afterward too. I go directly from the manipulation over to therapy.

It sounds like you had a great vacation!
 
Hi Vickie,
I hope everything goes well for you on 11th and the MUA makes a difference.
I also hope your new therapist is good and can help you without hurting you.
Good luck,
Toothfairy x :egypdance: :yay: :SUNsmile:
 
Congrats Vickie on moving forward! I am so pleased that you have a good relationship with your doctor and have trust in his/her opinion. That is fantastic! Thank you for being so honest in your recovery thread as well. You are right, that not every recovery is text book, but with patience, perseverance and proper support we all can get through these tough times.
I am hopeful that both the MUA and the new therapist are exactly what you need to get on with this recovery. Please keep us posted!
 
Hi Vickie,
So I have been looking at this site everyday and today is the first day it showed your post from last week. Totally strange! At the doctor now for PO visit!
 
Hi Cathy,
Let us know what the doc says when you get a chance. I'm crossing my fingers that you will get a great report!

Vickie
 
I'm on the countdown for the MUA that is scheduled for April 11th. I'm actually ready to go and also scared. I am praying that the manipulation will give my knee some more range of motion. Right now, the bend resembles a "L" shape. It is also a little scary to know that I have to go over to PT right after it is done. I'm not as worried about this as I was the TKR, but will still be glad to have it behind me!
 
Tomorrow is the MUA. I'm the first one at 7 a.m. It will be followed by PT at 10:30. Please say some prayers for me that this all goes well!
:angel:
 
Vickie,
Sending good thoughts and prayers your way!! Hope all goes well for you.
hugs
Susie
 
Good luck, many good thoughts heading your way.
 
Recovery update: 8 weeks & 2 days. I had a MUA done on my knee this morning at 8:30, followed by a PT session at 10:30 a.m. The manipulation was done under anesthesia administered thru my IV. I was talking to them one minute and was waking up in recovery very soon afterwards. My OS chose not to do a "block" on my leg because he wanted me to be able to participate in the stretching exercises at the PT session. I would say that the pain was minimal. About a 3-4 on a 1 to 10 scale. After the PT, my quad muscles felt like they had been stretched for the first time in months! I actually had a feeling like "work-out soreness" in them. I think that my limited ROM before had kept my quads from being involved in the exercises that I had been doing.

Today I will be icing with the machine that I brought home from the hospital for 1 hour and then off and hour and then back on, etc. I have 15 minutes of stretching exercises to do with a goal of five 15 minute sessions. It was amazing that I could get in and out of the car immediately, just like I used to. My leg would also bend back like my other one while sitting in the car. I was cautioned that swelling will slow that bend down some. I just need to keep up with the icing and elevating like I'm supposed to.

I go back to the therapist tomorrow so that he can do some more massaging on my knee to help keep the scar tissue from re-forming and also for some more stretching exercises. I told the new PT about my past bad experiences with physical therapy and so far so good.

You know what? I'm feeling hopeful for the first time in several weeks. It's feels SO GOOD to have hope that my knee is going to eventually be back to bending so that I can have a normal life. Thank you for everyone that had good thoughts or said a prayer for me. Please keep them coming! :happydance: :egypdance:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom