TKR Vickie's Knee Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Tim,
Thanks for relieving my worries a little about the pain meds. My OS' nurse has given subtle hints that it might be time to start lowering the meds when I call in for refills. I'm not sure how my doc feels about it. I'm going to ask him on Tuesday. I am sure however that I can't work at the PT the way that I am now and not take something for the pain.

It sure is hard not to compare my recovery with others. I am really happy for everyone when they get great ROM, but I sure wish that could be me too. I was getting 106 and -3 the day after the surgery, but not anymore. I have to keep reminding myself that I also had a block in my leg that day too! I was happy the other day when I finally made it back to 104 without the PT bending it for me. (She no longer does that. I decided to listen to you guys and not allow her to hurt me anymore.). Maybe this week I will gain a little more.

BTW, do you know what causes the shooting muscle type pains in the knee? Is that just muscles healing or maybe nerves regenerating? I thought maybe you had experienced that too when recovering. When it happens, it makes me hold my breath until it finally shoots thru. The pains are pretty quick, but jolting.

Thanks for all of the help that you moderators offer us. I really appreciate it!
 
BTW, do you know what causes the shooting muscle type pains in the knee? Is that just muscles healing or maybe nerves regenerating? I thought maybe you had experienced that too when recovering. When it happens, it makes me hold my breath until it finally shoots thru. The pains are pretty quick, but jolting.
I had shooting pains that felt "electrical" and seemed similar to shocks in both knees after my BTKR/ It was the nerves reconnecting with each other---while they were certainly not a lot of fun while they occurred, they soon subsided and ended totally.
 
Tim,
Quick and jolting describes the pains very well. I'm thinking that nerves reconnecting is a good thing, so I will just gasp and move on....
Thanks!
 
Vickie those electric like jolts are normal I think...I had them with my last knee replacement in 2009....we called them zingers..they just happened out of the blue and certainly get your attention...then they go away and all is forgotten. Hang in there baby, it all gets better!
 
Hey ladies, that bottle of wine is history and I am following doctor's orders...I am stressfree! I told Robert that the worst part of this is going to be that 2 hour drive to Tulsa the morning of my surgery....I am so not looking forward to it..
The drive there is fine other than long but what I didn't realize and what nobody,mentioned that on the way home you can not bend your knee. So sitting I the car is awful. I was putting everything I could under my leg to bring it up to straight. So bring LOTs of pillows and the turns where your leg is moving is just as bad so try and buffer that too!!! I had a 3 hour drive home with traffic!
Cahty
 
Off to the doctors today, and im driving myself!! Im anxious to see what he has to say, ill let you all know.
Sleepy lousy lately grrr.
Have a good day ladies
byeeee
 
Hey ladies, that bottle of wine is history and I am following doctor's orders...I am stressfree! I told Robert that the worst part of this is going to be that 2 hour drive to Tulsa the morning of my surgery....I am so not looking forward to it..
Good luck tomorrow! Remember bring lots of pillows for drive home!
Cathy
 
Off to the doctors today, and im driving myself!! Im anxious to see what he has to say, ill let you all know.
Sleepy lousy lately grrr.
Have a good day ladies
byeeee
Hi Susie
Must be something in the water with sleep! Good luck today!
 
I'm just wondering...do any of you have really tight calves? OMG..mine are always tight. It's hard standing up in the morning after being in bed all night.
 
Hi Laura,
My calves don't bother me, but I'm beginning to get nerve pain going down my leg since my ROM isn't that great. It really bothers me when I'm sitting for over 30 minutes.
 
Hmmm have you asked your doctor about that? I do something called dura slides which help the nerve slide more smoothly but you might not be far enough along for that...I don't know. I think it's the way I'm built which causes these tight calves. I need to stretch them more but with all the exercises I do these days for the knee.. It's hard to fit it all in!
 
Hi Laura
What are dura slides? I still take muscle relaxer at night so that might help the calves. But boy is my knee stiff when I wake up!
 
Kinda hard to explain the dura slide exercise here in text...i've been thinking how and I'm just at a loss! LOL! Ask your physical therapist about it. I do them for my right leg and the nerve pain has definitely lessened!
 
Thank you, Vickie! I did. Things are finally on the upswing. I honestly thought this would never happen because I was so bad off and so depressed. Lessee....yours was in February right? Which means by three months you should start feeling much better. It was like someone threw a switch. Don't get me wrong, it still feels "weird" and a bit swollen etc, but I can at least do things now. I even got my heartrate to 140 on the elliptical yesterday! Hang in there!!! I can't wait till you say...."you were right!" :P
 
Thank you, Vickie! I did. Things are finally on the upswing. I honestly thought this would never happen because I was so bad off and so depressed. Lessee....yours was in February right? Which means by three months you should start feeling much better. It was like someone threw a switch. Don't get me wrong, it still feels "weird" and a bit swollen etc, but I can at least do things now. I even got my heartrate to 140 on the elliptical yesterday! Hang in there!!! I can't wait till you say...."you were right!" :P
Laura and Vicki - you have both been an inspiration to me since I discovered this site. Also, I hooked up to your blog Laura, and it is beautiful. I had RTKR on 2/10/13, and have my 6-week appointment with OS today. I'm going to ask him if I can discontinue outpatient pt, as other than what he does that really hurts me, I can do it all at home. What do you think? I have 121 flexion, on my own with no pushing from him, and starting to have moments where I actually forget about my knee.

I have been very loopy on the pain meds, so I'm still not driving. The main time I need them is days like yesterday, where I spent the whole day recuperating from pt. (elevating and icing).Well, I'm off to exercise (at home) and then get ready for the big trip down to the Texas Medical Center in Houston. Have a great day.
 
Laura,
I can't wait till I get to 3 months I did 15 minutes on elliptical yesterday and my,knee is stiff and sore today. My son left for a job in Az a few weeks ago and I have been so depressed since. He will be back Oct but he was so,helpful to me. So sad to not have him here. Is it raining up there? Drizzling down here in Southern Ca! Have a good day Cathy
 
Laura and Vicki - you have both been an inspiration to me since I discovered this site. Also, I hooked up to your blog Laura, and it is beautiful. I had RTKR on 2/10/13, and have my 6-week appointment with OS today. I'm going to ask him if I can discontinue outpatient pt, as other than what he does that really hurts me, I can do it all at home. What do you think? I have 121 flexion, on my own with no pushing from him, and starting to have moments where I actually forget about my knee

I have been very loopy on the pain meds, so I'm still not driving. The main time I need them is days like yesterday, where I spent the whole day recuperating from pt. (elevating and icing).Well, I'm off to exercise (at home) and then get ready for the big trip down to the Texas Medical Center in Houston. Have a great day.
Turtle,
You had surgery two days before me. Maybe you can Switch PT places. Can you straighten your leg? At my PT he is starting to work on strength in my leg.it is very helpful since I would be nervous not sure exactly what I can or can not do yet. Good luck on your appt today. Maybe the doctor can give you some pain pills that are not that strong.
Cathy
 
Ive not posted here in a few days... Doctors appointment didnt go as well as i had hoped. So ive been a bit down in the dumps! grrrrrrr bend! grumbles.
Anyway driving myself was nice, i am getting soe independence back i like that, and some ways im feeling pretty good... but i need way more ROM. That alone can get you down.
Sounds like everyone is coming along...maybe im just a late bloomer!
have a great day all
hugs
susie
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom