TKR Vickie's Knee Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well....it turns out that the therapist was wrong about my knee. My doc said that all of my complaints have gradually centered around my upper leg/hip and foot hurting. This is true. He has referred me to another doctor that takes care of sciatic nerve pain. He said that passive ROM in my knee of 110 (when the therapist does it) is good and will continue to improve over time to about 120. He said that the knee therapy is actually making my back/sciatic feel worse. The other doc will probably order an MRI and shoot cortisone into my back. I go for a consult on Monday.

He also told me that even if I didn't do anymore PT, that my ROM will eventually come back on its own. But... He told me to keep doing exercises so that I don't get stiff. I have three more weeks of PT assigned and he has changed the order on that to include back exercises.

I do feel more hopeful. He gave me a prescription for muscle relaxers that will help some until we figure out what to do about the sciatic nerve. Now....I hope they hurry up and work!
 
Well....it turns out that the therapist was wrong about my knee. My doc said that all of my complaints have gradually centered around my upper leg/hip and foot hurting. This is true. He has referred me to another doctor that takes care of sciatic nerve pain. He said that passive ROM in my knee of 110 (when the therapist does it) is good and will continue to improve over time to about 120. He said that the knee therapy is actually making my back/sciatic feel worse. The other doc will probably order an MRI and shoot cortisone into my back. I go for a consult on Monday.

He also told me that even if I didn't do anymore PT, that my ROM will eventually come back on its own. But... He told me to keep doing exercises so that I don't get stiff. I have three more weeks of PT assigned and he has changed the order on that to include back exercises.

I do feel more hopeful. He gave me a prescription for muscle relaxers that will help some until we figure out what to do about the sciatic nerve. Now....I hope they hurry up and work!

READ what I just posted about a minute ago... about back pain and a shot (epidural)... just had my 6th one about 2 hours ago.
Natalie
 
Vickie I hope that your muscle relaxers help you soon. I too am experiencing back/hip issues since my TKR and I've learned that sitting on ice is extremely helpful! I had been trying a heating pad for weeks and not only was it not getting better, it felt as if it was getting worse. Then a dear friend of mine suggested ice and I am forever grateful. Without ice, I wouldn't get the small amount of sleep I have been getting.

I am also using muscle relaxers and am on day 4 of a steroid dose pack to calm it down. I may even through in a visit or two to the chiropractor as well. (Something has to work.....) If that doesn't work maybe I'll ask about the cortisone.

My PT is aware and is trying to help - but my knee is getting in the way of some of the stretches they'd suggest. She (and OS) also agree that walking with a limp is a big contributing factor. That said, I need to swallow my pride and be sure to use the crutches, or walker if I'm not able to walk limp free. I'm finding that part very difficult because I want to walk off the stiffness unaided, but I think that lurching about is not in my best interest.

I know how frustrating this second injury is during an already difficult time. :console2: I am glad to hear that your OS was positive about your knee however.

You've got such a great spirit and I hope this doesn't get you down for too long. Cry if you need it and remember we are always here to listen. I hope that today was a better day for you and that we both get through this secondary issue quickly!
 
Natalie,
I just read your post about the shots that you received. I'm glad that they figured out how to help you. My doc got wise to it when I told him how uncomfortable I was after sitting in the car for just a few minutes. When I stand up, it relieves the pain. He told me that the nerve pain will prevent the muscles from being used correctly and getting stronger. I hope that it works for me too. I'm really glad that you are getting better. Thanks for the post!
 
Natalie,
I just read your post about the shots that you received. I'm glad that they figured out how to help you. My doc got wise to it when I told him how uncomfortable I was after sitting in the car for just a few minutes. When I stand up, it relieves the pain. He told me that the nerve pain will prevent the muscles from being used correctly and getting stronger. I hope that it works for me too. I'm really glad that you are getting better. Thanks for the post!

Are they going to give you an epidural.... I take mine with sedation (a little vercet thru an IV).. the whole procedure takes about 10 minutes. It's done in the doctor's office (he is a pain management doc).
Natalie
 
Hi Sarah,
I was lying here on the couch with heat on my back and ice on my knee..... I just moved the ice to my back. Thank you so much for passing on this tip. I'm going to give it a try.

It was good to hear the OS being upbeat about my knee. He lifted my spirits some. I just couldn't understand why I felt so lousy most of the time. I just figured that my upper outside leg and foot hurting were related to the knee. He said that even though I don't describe it as back pain, that's where it is originating.

We are going to get thru this. We may not be as fast as some of the others, but our time to heal is going to happen! On some days I get pretty down, but there are so many of you out there that are so sweet and caring. It helps to have TKR friends!
 
Natalie,
I'm not sure what the plan is. My OS referred me to a different doc in their office that takes care of backs. I'm assuming that the Monday visit is just a consultation.

Do you need someone to drive you home after the procedure?
 
Its great to hear you so upbeat Vickie!!! Im in agreement....ice on the back! Glad things are looking up and that they are getting to the bottom of the pain!
Hope your day goes well, Ice, Ice , and then Ice!
Hugs
Susie
 
You too Cathy ... and everyone!! have a good day! Its a beautiful spring day here!!! Just that alone makes you feel better!
Hugs
Susie
 
How are you doing Vickie? I've had some problems the last few days. I am having severe nausea, so much so that I can't keep my pain meds down. Just talked to OS PA and she called in a prescription for something for nausea. Robert just left to get it, hope it works, pain and nausea not easy to take together. I also think I have a sinus infection, with the extreme weather and barometric changes and a huge oak tree tasseling and spreading pollen on averything conditions are perfect for a sinus infection to get started.
 
Sissy,
I've had a stomach virus for the last three days and had to cancel my PT appt. today. This afternoon, I have an appt. with the doctor to check out the sciatic nerve problem that my OS diagnosed. I just figured that all of my problems were knee related. When I think about it now, it makes more sense that it is my back. My poor knee gets blamed for everything! LOL. I hope that you feel better soon!
 
The cortisone shot for my back is scheduled for next Tuesday. I sure hope that it calms down the problem with the pain that runs down my leg all the way to my foot. Yesterday, I was feeling well and decided to go do some shopping and out to lunch. Everything went well until about 5 p.m. when the pain started up again. That went on all evening long and then I finally fell asleep. At 3 a.m. my knee woke me up aching and needing to be iced. This morning, I am stiff and sore. I have PT to go to at 10:30. I usually dread it, but always feel better after I've gone. Right now, he is working on straightening my leg (the reason for the back problem) and back stretches.

The doc and therapist are no longer concerned with the ROM. They said that once you get to 110, the rest just comes along gradually. Getting my leg straight is what they really want to see happen. The therapist can get it to about a 3, so almost straight but not quite. They agree that my back problems have come from the way that I have been walking since the surgery. I'm trying to retrain my brain and also replace some shoes that are probably worn down with the old stance.

It was really nice being out yesterday and seeing a glimmer of my "before knee surgery" life. Even though the price of pain and discomfort was a little hard last night, it was still great to see that things are gradually getting back to normal.

Wish me luck on the injection. Of course, I've had them in my knee before, but never in my sacroiliac joint. I will post with the outcome of it. Does anyone know how long those take to show results? I forgot to ask that in my doctor visit.

Hope everyone is doing ok and hanging in there on this long and winding road to recovery! :)
 
Good Morning,
Vickie when I had I injections in my back it took about a week before it was better. It was really sore for about 5 days. I have a ROM of 132 by myself and still working on getting more. My leg is almost totally straight just working on getting the muscle strength and tone. But I still have that daily stiff and soreness ugh. I am working on walking normal without a limp. So hard since I have limped for 20+ years.
Good luck Vickie with your shot!
Cathy
 
Great to hear things are looking up and on a positive note Vickie!! Having "normal" days are sooo nice!! Its long road but worth it for sure! Good luck on your injection, it will be sooo much better when you get relief from that pain!!
Cathy, wow great ROM!! Im so happy for you, I am still trying.. grrrr its just not coming. With that much ROM can you ride a regular bike now?? I hope someday ill get there too!
Sounds like everyone is really doing well over all.. what a journey this is! Im busy too everyday again but I do stll pay the price with swelling, and soreness... i guess that all just takes time, now if i could just get more ROM id be thrilled.
Everyone sounds great, keep up the good work ladies
Big hugs
Susie
 
Cortisone shot in back was done this morning. I was scheduled for 8:30 and actually had the procedure around 9:30. I was taken into a room at the surgery center, had an IV inserted, given a little Versed to chill me out and the injection was over in a couple of minutes. They kept me in recovery for about 20 minutes and I was out of there. The only pain I experienced was due to my own neglect from not taking the muscle relaxer this morning before I left. I allowed the leg/back pain to take over and it took a while for me to get that under control. It's been about six hours since I got the shot and I'm beginning to get a little sore now. It's still too early to tell if it did what we hoped. (I'm trying to get rid of the pain that runs from my hip down to my foot.) The doctor said that its from the way that I've been walking since the knee replacement.

MUA update - my knee still seems to be doing well after the manipulation. The bend gets better all the time. I'm not sure what it actually measures, but I don't have any problems doing the things that I want to. It is still a couple of degrees away from being straight and I'm going to PT for that and also back stretches. I also still need to build up my leg muscles, but that may take a while.

I will post again in a few days with the hopefully positive outcome of the back injection. Any prayers or good thoughts that you might send my way would be greatly appreciated! :angel:
 
Sending lots your way, Vickie. So glad you are done with the shot and hoping it takes care of the pain!

Laurie
 
Recovery update: May 12th will be the three month anniversary of my new knee! I'm happy to report that the cortisone injection in my back seems to have worked! I noticed a little difference the 2nd day and a lot better by the 3rd day. My knee is continuing to show improvement with ROM and extension. I have 2 more PT sessions scheduled and then an appointment with the ortho doc on May 9th. My knee is still a little stiff when I first get up and figure that may continue for a while. The therapist that I have had for the last month has been great. He has really helped me so much. I will post again after the doctors appointment.

Vickie
 
[Bonesmart.org] Vickie's Knee Recovery
just oozing out of your post!!! So happy you've gotten relief for your back and can enjoy your knee.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Vickie's Knee Recovery
 
That is great your back is doing so well!,,the 12th is coming up quickly. It seems like it went by fast but yet so slow!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom