Guest viewing is limited

TKR Vickie's Knee Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poof, As you can see, I have deleted the post that was here. I'm a little confused myself. I have searched for who I might have actually meant that post for without success. Sometimes I'm just a dotty old lady---and this must have been one of them.
 
Hi Judy, I'm a little confused at your post. I'm not considering having a MUA done. Which post made you think that? Thanks for looking out for me. I appreciate your concern. Vickie
 
Hi all... its late i know well not as late here in california and lets face it none of slee the way we wish we did anymore!... I went to bunko with my girlfriends tonight ..it was fun but alot of up and down and sitting... my knee is so swollen now but i had a good time with my friends i think it was worth it!! Im home now and made a bee line to my bed, elevation and ice awwwwwwwwwwwww soooo much better!
Sleep well ladies
Vickie I liked your 4 week update sounds like your doing great to me!
hugs
Susie
 
Hi Susie, thanks for the positive encouragement! I think that yesterday turned out pretty well for me. Not a whole lot of sleep last night, but I guess just about normal for all of us.....Glad you had a good time at your party. Had your friends already seen your knee scar? Vickie
 
I use 3 lbs now but I"m 12 weeks out. Initially I was only at 1. I also feel that crying at PT is acceptable at times. Sometimes we are just having a bad day sometimes we are in pain it all depends on the day and where we are in our recovery. PT may have hurt but she didn't get hurt. She controlled her breathing which is key to get that little extra push. I bet Becky was a bit sore afterwards but nothing that couldn't be managed. Sometimes you just have to push beyond what you are comfortable with. It's okay to do that. If any particular individual doesn't feel comfortable with that push that is your option. In my opinion and I"ve been here twice myself sometimes there is pain with gain. I would never have been able to stretch the way my therapist stretched me. I expected it to be painful but he didn't hurt me. You just don't push yourself beyond your limit with everything you do. Baby steps. It is essential to take those steps though. It isn't a magic bullet but continually babying the knee isn't the answer either. Will it come over time, perhaps but better to move ahead gradually than wait until months have passed.

Trust me I babied myself plenty of times but I also wasn't afraid to do the work because nobody was/is going to do it for me. When it hurt to the point I couldn't take it anymore he stopped, rested a moment, tried again and stopped. He wasn't pushing he was gently stretching. These stretches are essential for the muscles like the quad that has been weakened or shortened. What seems like really far may only be a fraction of an inch at a time and a fraction can hurt like you know what.

I slept ok last night - it wasn't perfect but it wasn't horrible either. I've started taking 2 xanax at a time and I still wake up around 1 or 2 but I didn't stay awake too long and didn't get up until just before 8 although I was awake becuase my partner had to get up for work.

Have a good day.
 
Hi Aileen, thank you for the positive encouragement! I am going to PT on M-W-F. On the other days, I am exercising at home. It takes about an hour to get thru it, but that includes warming the knee up and also icing it. I am sitting here now with ice on it and feel like I did a pretty good job of exercising on my own. However, I think that I do better with a therapist there encouraging me. No crying for me this morning, but there was a lot of groaning as I tried to push thru the exercises that are harder for me. It feels like I am on the right track and moving towards recovery. No one can do this for me. This recovery is something that my knee and I have to do together. I decided this morning that getting better is sort of like my "job" right now. I am going to stay positive and do what I need to do.....I really do appreciate all of your posts. Vickie
 
Hi Judy, I'm a little confused at your post. I'm not considering having a MUA done. Which post made you think that? Thanks for looking out for me. I appreciate your concern. Vickie
Kelsie Lou was talking about MUA being done.
 
I think im feeling left out since my doctor pulled me out of therapy. I do all of my exercises every single day 2 times a day. sometimes 3 times a day. But reading here i feel like i need to do more. hmmmm now i just do not know.
hugs
 
Suzie,
Will he put you back in for more gentle things like ultra sound? I only go two times a week. Then try and do it on my own. It doesn't always happen though.
Cathy
 
Vickieeee....!! How are you doing today?? I had kind of a crummy night's sleep. My knee seems to wake me up in the middle of the night. Grr. I just finished my morning exercises and feel much looser! Ahh...now with some ice and my computer.
 
Hi Vickie, While you were doing your PT today I have been catching up on your recovery thread....there are so many things about recovering that I had forgotten or maybe blocked from my reality...I totally forgot the continual crying jags and the fitful sleep pattern, the zingers and the frustration, I remember one really bad day I was in the throes of a major pity party and I sat crying telling my husband that I didn't think I would ever be normal again...but life goes on and everything did eventually get back to normal. Oh, what I have to look forward to in 3 weeks when I have my TKR. It sounds like you had your obstacles in the beginning but that you are doing much better now. I totally agree with the bonesmart theory that if it hurts too much don't do it or let someone else do it to you..I was recovering from surgery for a torn meniscus and my PT kept pushing and pushing me, you know the old "no pain no gain" method...and because I tend to be a people pleaser the physical therapy caused my meniscus to tear again beyond repair and consequently led to my having a PKR on my left knee. So easy does it, take your time, only you know how the pain really feels, you will get there.
It has been great talking with you on the other threads and discovering how we both love travel and I really look forward to someday after my sugery and I have been through the crying, depression, PT, recovery and feeling well again meeting you one day for lunch in Tulsa. Sissy
 
Hi Laura, I was up and down again last night too. This afternoon I had some muscle spasms shooting thru my knee, so I took one of the pills for that and laid down with moist heat. Next thing I know, it is 3-1/2 hours later! I have only taken 3 naps like that since the surgery. I want to, but can't sleep. Maybe my body is finally going to get some rest! (The heating pad turns off by itself, so it wasn't on my leg for hours.). It is 78 degrees here so I just walked around the block. That is the first time since the surgery. It has just been too cold here. My walk was anything but smooth, maybe even a little zombie like :) but I made it. After I did my exercises this morning, really didn't feel as loose as I did after the PT session yesterday. I'm going to do a lot of ice this evening because tomorrow it's back to PT.....Are you still doing pretty good? Vickie
 
Hi Sissy, I sent an e-mail to you. We do have a lot in common with our travels, knee, etc. I look forward to hearing from you...I hope my recovery thread didn't make you worry about your upcoming surgery. When I decided to do this, I figured that I may as well be honest about my experience. No one ever recovers at the same rate or has the same things happen to them, except it appears that almost everyone cries and has problems sleeping. I was totally unprepared for days 5-10. My OS said that's when the block totally wore off and I was feeling everything from the surgery. My suggestion would be to take the meds as prescribed during that period and keep the ice on. The hospital sent an ice machine contraption home with me after the surgery and I still use that thing. It circulates cool water around your knee and feels wonderful....It won't be long until you are on the recovery side with us! Vickie
 
Hi ladies, ive been quiet all day. I went shopping with my daughter today TJ Max..I loved it the knee hated it! Im still amazed how hard i work to keep the swelling down and how fast it can swell when im on it very long. Are the rest of you having trouble with swelling when your on yur knee for any period of time?
Hope everyone sleeps well tonight
Susie
 
Vickie I didn't get your email, can you check the private message to make sure you sent it to the right address and then resend.
 
Hi Susie,
I was up from 1 to 330 last night too. I went to Costco with my son to get him stuff before he leaves on Sunday and boy was my knee swollen. It was nice to get out though. So tired of being stuck at home. Did PT yesterday and it went good. I am going to try and ride,the,bike at the gym today. It is not the same as the one at the PT and a little harder to do. Love the PT one so smooth. Our gym has such old equipment it is sad. it is drizzling here so not helping my knee.
Hope everyone is having a good day!
Cathy
 
How are you doing Vickie? Looks lile a few weeks since your post [if I have the post dates right].

Ignore your MIL! :loll:

Sounds like you are doing GREAT. Your Dr. is wise [don't even think about lowering meds], and I'm sure he'll get the suture /drainage issue under control before long, if it isn't already.

My pain was and is again stronger in the evening with hip #2; I'm working it all day. Sounds quite normal.

My Rx experience:
I took my meds :30-:60 minutes before PT so they were in my system when I went for my workout. When I started to back off, I DID NOT back off of my pre-PT meds. I'm almost 6 weeks out and I'm still doing them when needed [1 vs. the 2 prescribed]; usually coincides with my late afternoon PT and a full day workout on my hip.

I was v. worried about addiction [I come from a family of alcoholics]. I learned fast from this site - MY MEDS ARE MY FRIENDS. The sign of addiction is looking for the bottle when you don't have pain. Never happened on the hip #1, and so far not on my #2. I'm keeping my Rx bottle filled for at least 4-5 months as a just in case.

Exercise experience:
I'm having knee and quad issues so my PTist suggested I do fewer at a time and do them more often during the day. Seems to be working for me.

Wishing you a continued good recovery!
Joanne
 
Hey poof, nil desperandum !!
My husband got so used to it he slept through it all, even me getting up to make tea or put a late night movie on, he was still fast asleep - lucky me :yes:

Have to share Coniglietta ... Isn't it wonderful having such an understanding husband? I'm up all hours of the night clicking the remote and trying to be quiet, but he is a v. light sleeper so I knew I'm driving him mad. RAther than giving me a hard time about it, he bought me wireless headphones!!! So now, he gets his sleep and I can click away. I thought that was great!
The other night I shared with him that I felt bad he works all day and comes home to make dinner for me [his commute and work give him a 14-15 hour day]. I knew he understood when he said, "I'm getting ready for retirement". To that I responded, "Ooo. so you are taking over the kitchen in July?". We laughed.
For those of us out there who have a supportive partner, never forget, we are very blessed.:angel:
Joanne
 
Recovery update at 4 weeks and 3 days: Today was my 3rd out-patient PT session. On Monday, my knee would bend to 85 degrees, Wednesday 95 degrees and today 103.5 degrees. I am thrilled with the progress it is making. Slowly, but surely, I am getting there! Also, up until today I was unable to do anything but half-rotations on the bicycle. Today I went all the way around!!! :bicycle1:
I can't even explain how happy that has made me. Before the surgery, I rode the recumbent bike everyday and had no doubt that I would be able to do it afterwards. When I was unable to, it was just awful for me. So it feels so much like a really positive move towards recovery. I am so thankful. Vickie
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom