Guest viewing is limited

TKR Vickie's Knee Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually was going to ask about the feeling around the leg. Mine does feel like leather and was hoping that would go away.
I also have a spot on my shin that hurts to touch it. My little dog was trying to lick my leg and I said ow that hurts and my husband looked at me like I,was nuts. She said she is not touching your knee. Speaking of husbands he accidentally hit my knee no less than 3 times the other day once in the middle of the night.ugh!
How a are you feeling Susie?
My need is stiff as usual in the morning...
Cathy
 
Its 8:30 and ive not cried yet today! yeah!! I know the leg is numb in alot of areas, I know im shaving it because i see myself doing it! It is a great feeling i can put my leg up to chve and i can also but the other leg up and the new knee supports that. My walking is looking bette and better and I can do full rotaions on a bike, but not like a regular bike... the recumbent bike, is that what you all are using too.... I could never do a regular bike yet. My worry allll the time is the swelling and the bending.. I swell so easy. I try to be ctive and get on with life, but my trip to the market or a ood shopping trip to marshalls or tjmax and the swelling is really bad. I feel this swelling is what hinders the bend, do you think that might be it? Ive been told i need to relax on that but i worry if dont get that bend now will i ever.. ugh. I agree with Vickie, it does take an army to rehabilitate the knee. I get down but i keep going. I try to listen to those that tell us slow and steady win the race. My surgury was Jan 12th so i am a month ahead of most of you girls, but i think you all have more bend than me :(. I worry alot about that as you can tell. SLOW SND STEADY, SLOW AND STEADY... i keep telling me! Today im off to get manicure an pedicure that should help my mood. You are all so sweet thank you for careing. No one know how we feel that have not been in our shoes, Thank you all.
I hope everyone has a great day and each get to do something special today that makes you feel good. Ill be thinking of you Laura i know tomorrow will be a hard day for you. Excited for your sons accomplishes, but it is sooo hard on us moms. Ill send lots of hugs and good thoughts your way.
Have a great day ladies ill check in later
hugs
Susie
 
Vickie, tell more more about you wall walking exercise, maybe i need to try that one :)
hugs
Susie
 
Susie, it is my son leaving.. So sad he has been the most helpful during this whole surgery mess...
have a good pedicure I did that a few weeks ago,so much better!
 
So yesterday was a great day and then today my knee is very sore and stiff. I tried to exercise this morning, but my knee said NO! I'm going to ice and elevate for a few hours and then give it another try later this afternoon. It was very hard to have a great day and then follow it with a bad one. I have no idea why that upsets me. This has been the way it has worked since the surgery. It seems crazy that I would let it bother me so much.....Susie, the PT has me lay on my back with my feet propped up against the wall with the knees bent. Then she puts a 3 lb. weight on my surgery ankle and tells me to rest the other foot on the surgery one and give it a nudge down. I do 30 of those and try to hold each one for 5 seconds. For the first 15 or so nothing much happens, but them it begins to loosen up some and will start to bend more. It is my least favorite exercise, but also seems to be the one that gets the knee to bend. I hesitate to put any specific exercises out here because it may not be the right one for someone else at their particular recovery time. I think that you should ask your Dr. If its a good exercise for you to try or not.....It is a stationary bike at PT that I was finally able to pedal yesterday. The seat on it goes up very high and it makes it a lot easier to make a rotation. The recumbent bike that I have here at the house does not adjust like that. Since my knee is not feeling well today, I haven't tried it yet to see if I can pedal it all the way around. I've just been making half revolutions on it for 10 minutes 2x a day....Has your Dr. released you from his care? Will he approve it for you to go to some PT if you are wanting to do that? Vickie
 
I actually was going to ask about the feeling around the leg. Mine does feel like leather and was hoping that would go away.
I also have a spot on my shin that hurts to touch it.
Cathy

Cathy, I had the computer assisted knee replacement and they actually screw a guide into the shinbone. Mine hurts sometimes and has a bump scar on it. Vickie
 
Ouch on the guide. It seems like my skin is just really painful to touch!
Cathy
 
Its 8:30 and ive not cried yet today! yeah!! I know the leg is numb in alot of areas, I know im shaving it because i see myself doing it! It is a great feeling i can put my leg up to chve and i can also but the other leg up and the new knee supports that. My walking is looking bette and better and I can do full rotaions on a bike, but not like a regular bike... the recumbent bike, is that what you all are using too.... I could never do a regular bike yet. My worry allll the time is the swelling and the bending.. I swell so easy. I try to be ctive and get on with life, but my trip to the market or a ood shopping trip to marshalls or tjmax and the swelling is really bad. I feel this swelling is what hinders the bend, do you think that might be it? Ive been told i need to relax on that but i worry if dont get that bend now will i ever.. ugh. I agree with Vickie, it does take an army to rehabilitate the knee. I get down but i keep going. I try to listen to those that tell us slow and steady win the race. My surgury was Jan 12th so i am a month ahead of most of you girls, but i think you all have more bend than me :(. I worry alot about that as you can tell. SLOW SND STEADY, SLOW AND STEADY... i keep telling me! Today im off to get manicure an pedicure that should help my mood. You are all so sweet thank you for careing. No one know how we feel that have not been in our shoes, Thank you all.
I hope everyone has a great day and each get to do something special today that makes you feel good. Ill be thinking of you Laura i know tomorrow will be a hard day for you. Excited for your sons accomplishes, but it is sooo hard on us moms. Ill send lots of hugs and good thoughts your way.
Have a great day ladies ill check in later
hugs
Susie

Susie, don't feel bad as
my bend is not good yet either and I keep trying. I feel like I am improving every day except for me bend. All I can do is keep trying. I am at around 6-10 for flex and 65-75 for ROM. My goal right now is to try and reach 90 by April 1 which is when I go back to my doctor. I see you live in Rancho, I am about 45 minutes south of you on the 15. Hang in there and take care!
 
Poof, thank you for posting your daily...and multi-daily events, everything from your PT (what an A-hole he was) down to your crying and up to your feats of accomplishments. It means a lot to me, for one, who has not gone through this yet, to read about the day-to-day ups and downs your are experiencing. Note to self - make a journal of this starting now and post in pre-op until you "get to the other side". Keep it up and all my best.
 
Thank you! It means a lot that you took the time to send that. It has helped me a lot to do these posts. On days when I'm feeling a little down, it helps to look back and see that there has been steady improvement even though it seems to come in waves (bad or good). The posts also help a lot because there is always someone that will respond to help you out or just compare notes. I think it's a great idea to start your thread now. Do you see a TKR in your future? Vickie
 
Yes, Poof...er, Vickie, there's no getting around a LTRK later this year. I am probably fortunate in that I can wait until a somewhat convenient date and that the pain is a low-to-moderate most of the time, even though bone-on-bone. The x-rays in late December show little option. The left lower leg is canted to the outside substantially (at least in comparison to my right leg, a strong 1/2 inch deflection) and the arthritis is advanced. I've just begun exercising on my recumbent bike down here in my office and started off with a 30 minute session today. At first the knee was screaming at me, but as I went on it really improved, so I am hoping to keep that up until November when I plan to "go to the other side". I have started a thread "TKR About Time" in the pre-op forum. For about 34 years since I ruptured the ACL the knee has been degrading, though I've tried hard to pamper it as best I could. The atrophy in the upper leg muscles is substantial so the work outs are mandatory in my mind to help prepare as best as possible. The OS said that as long as I could stand the pain to do it as I really can't do any more damage to it than it already has. I guess that means within reason. Sometimes I think "Swell, what a PIA", and the pity party looms large, but then I read what others are going through and the mental strength returns and "It's not as bad as it could be, so deal with it".

I'll continue sharing your recovery with you. Best to you. Art
 
Cathy
Thinking of you today, I remember oh to well the days my boys left. I was happy for them but it was so hard on me. Sending big hugs!
Susie
 
So yesterday was a great day and then today my knee is very sore and stiff. I tried to exercise this morning, but my knee said NO! I'm going to ice and elevate for a few hours and then give it another try later this afternoon. It was very hard to have a great day and then follow it with a bad one. I have no idea why that upsets me. This has been the way it has worked since the surgery. It seems crazy that I would let it bother me so much.....Susie, the PT has me lay on my back with my feet propped up against the wall with the knees bent. Then she puts a 3 lb. weight on my surgery ankle and tells me to rest the other foot on the surgery one and give it a nudge down. I do 30 of those and try to hold each one for 5 seconds. For the first 15 or so nothing much happens, but them it begins to loosen up some and will start to bend more. It is my least favorite exercise, but also seems to be the one that gets the knee to bend. I hesitate to put any specific exercises out here because it may not be the right one for someone else at their particular recovery time. I think that you should ask your Dr. If its a good exercise for you to try or not.....It is a stationary bike at PT that I was finally able to pedal yesterday. The seat on it goes up very high and it makes it a lot easier to make a rotation. The recumbent bike that I have here at the house does not adjust like that. Since my knee is not feeling well today, I haven't tried it yet to see if I can pedal it all the way around. I've just been making half revolutions on it for 10 minutes 2x a day....Has your Dr. released you from his care? Will he approve it for you to go to some PT if you are wanting to do that? Vickie
Vickie,
wow im impresed a stationary bike and full rotation WTG girl!! I bet that did make you feel great. I can do full rotations too but on a bike that he peddles are more out in front of me not under me ...I am impressed, pats on your back for that! :) Im still under my doctors care Vickie. I dont see him again for 2 weeks. He has me doing all my exercises on my own. I dont think he minds what exercises i use as long as im not pushing the bend to the point of tears, he said he wants me uncomfortable but not crying. So Im trying m best to listen to him and trust him. This is the same dr. that did my Total Right Hip 2 years ago so i really like him and do trust him, my hip is awsome. I love seeing new ideas for working on the bend, it reminds me of the algebra I tutor, some kids can hear it several different ways to gt to the same answer, but for what ever reason one way in particular will click and they just get it. I think with these bending exercises so many therapist have a different variation of the same bend, but maybe one way works better for a person than another. I guess thats why i like hearing different methods. I did talk to my doctors office his surgery girl called me back and said as long as its not hurting me beyond what he wants, i can go for different stretching methods to get my bend going on bettter. Thank you again for sharing i think your sharing helps so many people. What a great site this is. Hope your day today is a good one, and hope you slept well last night. Take care
hugs
Susie
 
opps i did that wrong i think my post above ugh ill never get the hang of this i guess... sorrry!
 
Cathy
Thinking of you today, I remember oh to well the days my boys left. I was happy for them but it was so hard on me. Sending big hugs!
Susie
Thank you Susie. It has been a hard day. Not only am I sad but my knee is killing me right now. And nobody will be home till tomorrow.
Have you noticed that you have been much colder since your surgery. I am freezing all the time and this is from someone who has the AC on all year round in the car. I use to sleep with the windows open now I am too cold. My teeth shatter I,am so cold.
Happy Saint Paddy's Day!
Cathy
 
Wow, yes I am also cold allll the time, extra blankets on the bed, and weird thing is I have always been like you air conditioning in car all the time, shorts, sandles windows open even at night..now I am sooo cold, crazy i thought it was just me!
Hope you feel better, big hugs
Susie
 
Hi Susie, I hope that exercise works out for you. Of all the exercises that I do, I dislike that one the most but I see the most results from it. Yesterday, my knee was sore all day long and I was unable to do anything at all, but lay on the bed and ice it. Today it is better again and I was able to do the exercises that the PT had assigned. It's 3 hours after exercise and my knee is sore and tired again. I guess that is just how it's going to be until it heals. The ups and downs are sure hard on the emotions though!....I had no idea that you had also had a hip replacement. You should add that to your signature. It's a big deal! You are a very brave woman....It's good to have a Dr. that you like and respect. It sure helps a lot when we are going thru this pain. I can't imagine how hard it would be if our docs were not supportive. Vickie
 
I am so glad it is not just me being cold. MY husband thinks I am nuts and now he is opening the windows and I am closing them... I hope it doesn't last long.
Cathy
 
Sasysusie, please start a thread of your own in the knee recovery forum. Here is the link that gives you the instructions you need to do this: Starting a new thread and posting

You will receive the attention to your concerns and questions that you deserve by doing this. You can, of course, continue to post comments in other members' threads.

[Bonesmart.org] Vickie's Knee Recovery
 
I hope you are having a great day today Vickie, I forget which days you go for PT, but hope you are not in pain..xoSissy
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom