THR Val’s Recovery

Buying more supportive shoes helped my husband.
 
I let mine go and it got pretty bad, terrible pain in my heel especially first thing in the morning. I went for steroid shots in my heel and an arch support. Catch it soon and don't let it get worse. I really don't think the foot doctor route with the shots and all. It gave me temporary relief but the symptoms came back. Once I dedicated myself to rolling on the frozen water bottle and the stretches things got better. I did try insoles and the only ones I found to do any good were Powerstep insoles, the site shows you how to determine arch height. Roll on the frozen bottle, do the stretches and I also did toe raises on a step. After a THR you should have new shoes just because of a new walking pattern, just be sure they have good support if you do much walking.
 
I feel for you, @EssexGirl ! I had terrible plantar fasciitis years ago. Getting out of bed in the morning was agony!

I got arch supports and a bunch of exercises from a podiatrist. The thing that helped me the most was an exercise involving a towel. You sit in a chair or at the edge of the bed and spread a small towel on the floor at your feet. Put your feet on the towel and use your toes to scrunch it together and bring it toward you while keeping your heels stationary. Not sure how clear my description is- you might want to google it, lol

I still do this exercise whenever I get a twinge in my arches. It really seems to work/stretch the right muscles.

Hope you get some relief soon!
 
I have thought from time to time that I was developing plantar fasciitis too so I’ll bear in mind the recommendations I’ve read here if I feel as though it’s making a return.
So much useful advice on this forum.
 
I feel for you, @EssexGirl ! I had terrible plantar fasciitis years ago. Getting out of bed in the morning was agony!

I got arch supports and a bunch of exercises from a podiatrist. The thing that helped me the most was an exercise involving a towel. You sit in a chair or at the edge of the bed and spread a small towel on the floor at your feet. Put your feet on the towel and use your toes to scrunch it together and bring it toward you while keeping your heels stationary. Not sure how clear my description is- you might want to google it, lol

I still do this exercise whenever I get a twinge in my arches. It really seems to work/stretch the right muscles.

Hope you get some relief soon!
Thank you so much for the towel excercise tip! I will definitely give it a try. I really want to try and get on top of this before it sets in and becomes a more permanent problem.
 
Hi @EssexGirl :wave:
Of course, I’ve googled the symptoms and “plantar fasciitis” seems to fit my symptoms, but i can’t find anything that says this could be a problem following hip replacement surgery.
I have certainly seen it here on Bonesmart and I had a bout with it myself.
I did find this:

The water bottle worked well for me for all the above mentioned reasons.
Hopefully All Temporary
 
I tried the towel tip with moving the toes. You can also take a towel and use it to pull the toes toward you while sitting. Basically what you're doing with all of this is stretching the bottom of your foot so it relaxes and heals. The pain comes from a tear that needs to heal. Resting it makes it draw up and when you walk it tears again causing the pain.
 
So I’m working on the plantar fasciitis problem by trying all the suggestions…thank you all so much for your help with that.

Yesterday/today I’ve been focusing on something else ( is that what we do when we’ve had hip surgery or is it just me?) I do seem to have got a bit obsessed about overthinking every little twinge :what:. This time it’s the area on my hip around the scar. Not the scar itself, that’s healing nicely but the whole area still feels very sore/bruised/ sensitive to touch. I still have to be careful how I sit and I still can’t sleep on that side. Tonight I iced it ( icing is my new friend!) which did help but I’m wondering if this is normal for 8 weeks post surgery.
 
the whole area still feels very sore/bruised/ sensitive to touch. I still have to be careful how I sit and I still can’t sleep on that side. Tonight I iced it ( icing is my new friend!) which did help but I’m wondering if this is normal for 8 weeks post surgery.

YES! It is normal. I know 8 weeks seems like a long time, but it is still early days in this year-long recovery.
I found this chart really helpful in understanding why it takes so long:

1652123217285.png
 
You'll find there is no "normal", just common. We share a lot of the same symptoms, but they seem to come at different times and in different ways. We all expect to be further along in recovery especially once past the first couple of weeks. Unfortunately, it's a long recovery and our bodies underwent a lot more trauma than we think. After all they did forceably dislocate your hip joint before putting in the new joint.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks benne for publishing that chart. I have similar issues with the scar and area alternating between pain and numbness. Guess I will have to be patient too! Now I know it can take an average of nine months it will help.

Val I hope things get better for you soon.
 
Thanks all for the reassurance. I think sometimes that’s all you need to put your mind at rest. I do have a tendency to overthink things, and every twinge/ache/ pain I get, I’m thinking “is this right?” and “is this normal?”.
Im so glad I found this forum, it’s been a godsend .
 
Just think how well prepared you will be to do the other knee when the time comes!:heehee:

:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:
 
Specifically yes, sensitivity to touch in the area surrounding surgery is very common; I have experienced it after every surgery, orthopedic or not. It may wax and wane, may last months or even years. It's all those teeny sensory nerves!
 
Sorry, @EssexGirl! Guess I'm having "knee" brain since I'm just 10 days in my TKR recovery. :heehee:

But, yes! You will be well prepared should you ever need to do that other hip.
 
but the whole area still feels very sore/bruised/ sensitive to touch.
Yes, I remember this! It was a tenderness. I recall it lasting for a while, slowly fading, like most all of the symptoms we encounter do.

We're glad you joined us EssexGirl. Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you have a wonderful 2024!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom